Going to Wrestling Shows alone

Froggivizal_Version1.0

Basically, I've been let down by numerous friends (and girlfriend) over the past week or so and it's left me with no-one who'd go with to a wrestling show with an hour and half before doors open. I've made the decision to go it alone, but it did make me think of an interesting question...

Do you go to Wrestling Shows alone? What are your thoughts on the mater?

Now I don't really care. I'm comfortable enough in myself to know that I do in fact have friends, however, not many share this strange hobby that we like to call "wrestling". So if I get spotted at a show alone, I'm not really fussed what a stranger thinks - and I don't really think anyone should.

However, I do know people have differing opinions on the matter. If you saw a fan alone at a show, what would you think? I have one experience within that regard at a show I was at recently. The guy that was sat next to me and my girlfriend came alone and struck up conversation with us at numerous points throughout the show. I didn't think this was weird (as I had already done a wrestling show alone by that point) but it struck my non-wrestling fan girlfriend as being quite odd.

So there you have it, DISCUSS.

Been to plenty of shows by myself. Small shows and major shows. If I wanna go I'm gonna go. It's not always possible to find people to go with, especially if you have to buy tickets far in advance. It's better with company, obviously though.

Don't think there's anything weird about it.

• Paid Members

It's a bit weird to go to any sort of show on your own, but if there is one form of entertainment where you're not going to stand out as a weirdo, it's wrestling. I've done it once before and it was a bit of a strange feeling, not having a mate to turn to when you want to take the piss out of something.

If only there was website where people could organise meet up's at shows.

Go on your own and you will find your crowd. The smaller shows are probably quite good for that.

I love sitting and listening to wrestling fans talk, you hear some great conversations. Sounds a bit stalky but you know what I mean.

• Paid Members

I've been to a fair few on my own on accounts that none of my friends like wrestling. It's fucking weird and you feel like your surrounded by sickening nerds but at the same time slightly envious that you can't join in with them. But overall if the show is good you'll enjoy it anyway.

I hate wrestling fans, so going alone was always a bonus for me. Try and avoid sitting next to people who stink of piss though. There will be one there, there always is, and if you can't find one it's you.

Embrace the nerd inside you !

I am 36 and work in a very cooperate job but am going to wrestlemania this year with my warrior sign on full view. Nerd braced.

Go on your own and you will find your crowd. The smaller shows are probably quite good for that.

I love sitting and listening to wrestling fans talk, you hear some great conversations. Sounds a bit stalky but you know what I mean.

True, I've been to plenty of shows on my own, and quite often I find myself talking to the person sat next to me about the match/show.

It never hurt two complete strangers to talk about the product, if it's something they have in common.

I struggled with it but ended up getting friends through going to shows then being involved with the scene and having friends within the scene was good for me. One thing i didn't like at the start was the travelling alone. Like being with people to travel with places even if it is fairly local.

I generally go to gigs by myself, but because I've going metal gigs for years, there's usually always someone I'll know there. Sometimes I'll go to more leftfield gigs like Van Der Graaf Generator and be surrounded by prog dads, because none of my pals enjoy the musical wizardry of Peter Hammill. Those I can deal with, because usually those type of gigs are not really chaotic, energetic shows where the crowd are dancing or jumping about.

Wrestling's a bit different. I generally only go to ICW shows because I was burned in the past when I went to an SWA and was the only adult there who wasn't chaperoning their kids, apart from one other person who I knew (she was going out with one of the wrestlers). It felt like absolute social death trying to explain why I was there amongst a sea of kids in Rey Mysterio masks. It put me off ever going to a show like that again.

It just depends on the show really, if you're going to a show dedicated to a certain demographic that you are a part of (PROGRESS, ICW etc.), then that's fine. You're around like-minded people, so you don't have to worry about being out-of-place. Going to a bog standard local "PRO WRESTLING ACTION!" Leisure centre show with Randy Orton figures at the merch stand, it's definitely more difficult ro go and not look like you have a tag round your ankle.

Archived