UKFF's Favourite Promo

JNLister

Most of my favourites have been mentioned already, but a couple stick out to me:

CM Punk - The Happy Birthday Promo. Just an absolute arsehole. Easily the best thing about the SES(which was a crying shame IMO).

Jake Roberts - Tuesday in Texas. Again the pinnacle of the downright evil heel run. I love the fact that Okerlund talks back to him as well.

Prematch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...WgfcIeOU#t=1134

Postmatch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...WgfcIeOU#t=2434

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Bret Hart is interviewing John Cena on Raw, CM Punk interrupts and the two of them engage in one of my all time favourite verbal clashes. Not a note missed between them, the delivery is blinding and as usual the content between the two characters writes itself. The magic you get from two characters with such perfect chemistry like this is my favourite thing about wrestling. And with these two, they're even better in hindsight because you know the matches always delivered. This for me is even better than that brilliant one with Vince and the table in the ring just before Money in the Bank 2011. I prefer this one because they're working more within the confines of a wrestling storyline rather than throwing in loads of the reality stuff for shortcuts sometimes. Cena's long section in the middle is sublime, discussing how Punk lied his way through his 'revolution' and 'change' to get himself to the top, only to not do it because HE is still the Main Event. But Punk is fucking DYNAMITE here too. Freshly turned, living and loving his heel gimmick, and believing his shtick. Punk can stay fucked off for all I care, but if he ever comes back this is all I want him doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivkvfHJ_sjc

I'd completely forgotten that one. And the old school rap that Gladstone posted earlier. John Cena at his best. Really annoying me

a) Because there must be another 10 outstanding Cena promos that I've loved over the years and now can't remember

b) Because it drives home what a fucking waste of time 90% of Cena's promo time is. He's this good and he gets to work with some of the worst material this side of Danny Dyer films.

Here are some of my favourites over the years:

Terry Funk - CWF - Sometime in the late 70's early 80's. Not sure when this was but Terry Funk is standing in a shower and proceeds to pour dirt and oil on his body so he can feel like a real Floridian. Great promo and very effective.

Terry Funk/Shane Douglas/Paul Heyman - Post the Night the Line Was Crossed 94. Still the best match and follow up promo I have seen. All three were superb! Funk as the weeping legend, Heyman as the psycho manager of Sabu "I'd like to thank the members of the media for coming, I hope you all go to hell!" and Douglas as the dynamic hungry Franchise who was years ahead of his time. Simply magic and a big building block on ECW's path.

Ric Flair - Post WM8 - "What we have right here, is a man......gonna walk around town tonight.....Nature Boy at his finest

• Moderators

When people say The Franchise was years ahead of his time do they mean two?

I've never rated Douglas too highly as a promo. Swearing interspersed with "HA HA HA!" doesn't exactly get up there with Michael Hayes for me.

When people say The Franchise was years ahead of his time do they mean two?

I've never rated Douglas too highly as a promo. Swearing interspersed with "HA HA HA!" doesn't exactly get up there with Michael Hayes for me.

In 94/95 there was much more to a Douglas promo than him swearing and going "Ha ha ha!" as you say. His promo's had passion, they were dynamic. He came across as a player, the Francise player of ECW. Years later he became lazy and just relied on profanity to cut his promo's!

• Paid Members

I've been looking for it on Youtube, but it seems to have been taken down: the interview that one of the Crocketts has with Ric Flair in his home. He delivers a calm, polite, well-mannered and even a bit of a face-ish promo on his upcoming World title opponent, Dusty Rhodes, talking about how he has all he has, all his wealth, possessions, fine clothes etc. from being the world's best wrestler and nothing else, and emphasises the million-dollar purse they're fighting for, making a huge deal out of it.

It's probably that particular promo that makes me wish promotions would do that more often, mainly because there are so many matches these days when you end up thinking something like "well, it wasn't a title match, so why's he bothered he lost by DQ?" Especially when it's the champ.

I don't watch wrestling enough to post something from the depths, but
is just brilliant.

Everyone can pull their pubes off about how boring Punk is right now, but this is just boss.

Not managed to get through the full thread but I actually enjoyed his contract negotiation even more, mostly the interaction with Cena at the end.

Archived