WWE Tag Team Division *SMACKDOWN Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What do you think of the WWE Tag division at the moment? Personally I think it's as strong as it's been since the days of the random pairings on Smackdown about 10 years ago. It has good depth in terms of the amount of teams they've established.

They've also done quite a good job of creating three levels.

Level 1 - The title contenders.

Well protected in the stories, they win more than they lose and people can associate with them. I've left The Shield out of this because their future is up in the air at the moment.

New Age Outlaws (Champions) - Well known team. Great gimmick. Well established connection to the top and a back catalogue of great moments to fill hours of highlight reels. Didn't think they still had it but been seriously impressed.

wwenao_zps2c937b7e.jpg

Brotherhood - Shit name, awesome team. At their best together which is always the sign of a great tag team. Back story is genuine so needs no embellishment.

wwebrotherhood_zps3491e566.jpg

The Usos - Probably the biggest success story in the division from a promotional POV. Despite the obvious relationship and the great story of them being Rikishi's kids, they were non-descript and dull. The entrance and the war paint were good touches and they've stuck with them, booked them consistently well and they've gradually stepped up and up to the point where they are believable contenders. Love this team now.

wweusos_zps38bcff55.jpg

Level 2 - The Middle of the Roaders.

Not really involved in the title chase and the victims of 50/50 booking but good acts who could easily step up with a bit of promotion.

The Real Americans - Tremendous act this. Colter is always good value and while Swagger's probably about at his peak in this team, Cesaro is being groomed for bigger things I reckon. They could be heel or face, they can work with anyone and with a consistent push, they're easily title contenders.

wwereal_zps9c6a6409.jpg

Harper & Rowan - These two get a bit lost in the shuffle sometimes but they are two decent big men who tend to deliver. They haven't really been harmed despite losing whenever they're in a high profile match and with Wyatt behind them as a mouth piece, they could easily be a top act in the division.

wwewyatt_zps104c14e9.jpg

Axel & Ryback - Pretty new team who are doing OK. Their matches are decent but aside from both being Heyman clients at one point, it's never been established why they are together. They need a load of work but the fact that 50% of the team is Axel and they are still OK suggests they could do alright.

wweryback_zps9d16476e.jpg

Prime Time Players - Probably the most borderline Level 2/3 act. They are decent in the ring and on the mic but company doesn't appear to have a lot of faith in them or ideas for them. Probably the most in need of character development because the company seem to assume (hope?) everyone has seen them on YouTube and gets it.

wweptp_zpsb7e7e42e.jpg

Level 3 - Jobbers

3MB - You need guys at any level who can put over the other teams. 3MB are a perfect jobber trio. Losing doesn't harm them and gives a decent showcase to the other teams. The only complaint I have with them is that every now and then WWE will book them in a 10 minute match. Do other people then think "Hang on a minute, so-and-so battered them in 30 seconds last week" or is that just me?

wwe3mb_zpseec6b440.jpg

Matadores - Not sure they were actually supposed to be jobbers but the idea is so shit, it was inevitable.

wwematadores_zps3665334c.jpg

I fucking love tag team wrestling. When it's done right, it's beautiful. I really think WWE have the potential to create their best division since the late 80's. I'd just like to see them dedicate more time to letting us know what drives these guys. What their motivation is. Why winning is important. What makes them different from the other teams. That's probably not just restricted to tag teams in truth, it needs to happen across the board.

In spite of that, WWE have managed to get 6 or 7 teams over. They could have an 8 team #1 contenders tournament and I'd enjoy it. That seems pretty miraculous compared to a couple of years ago.

In addition to the above 9 teams, there's also The Shield, Rey Misterio's weekly team up, whoever Big Show ends up with after his latest failed push and whatever combination of singles headliners they fancy throwing together.

Looks a pretty bright future for tag teams.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I really love your post Rick, great stuff. Can I just throw a huge spanner in Level 2?

Smackdown spoilers:

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

PTP have been split up. Word is Darren Young is being released.

I agree though, tagging is in a great state. If rumours are true it's one thing we have Triple H to thank for.

Smackdown spoilers:

I read this and couldnt believe that the E would split them up, but to get rid of young, after supporting him comming out? Stupid move.

• Awards Moderator
Smackdown spoilers:

I read this and couldnt believe that the E would split them up, but to get rid of young, after supporting him comming out? Stupid move.

He doesn't really add anything though, does he? It's almost the most liberal they could be - you can be fired, regardless of sexual preference. To keep him on just because he's gay would be discriminating.

Smackdown spoilers:

He doesn't really add anything though, does he? It's almost the most liberal they could be - you can be fired, regardless of sexual preference. To keep him on just because he's gay would be discriminating.

Fair point, but I cant see what they can do with titus now, his voice just doesnt scream heel to me, I just feel with the little publicity they gave him, they could of given them at least 1 PPV title match, even if it was pre show. It just felt to me like the crowd were supporting him during that month

• Moderators

Y SO MANY PHOTOS.

*phone melts*

Nah, it's a great time for fans of tag wrestling. Legit question, when was it so strong last?

And I refuse to call them The Bortherhood. It's THEM RHODES BOYS! A good southern name for a good southern team.

• Paid Members

The last time I actually really cared about a tag team before the Brotherhood and Uso's, was in 2002 when Los Guerreros and Benoit/Angle were doing the rounds.

I'm actually a bit gutted that PTP have disbanded. I thought they had a good thing going, and made me actually care about Superstars each week

• Paid Members
If there's a fight over the Heavenly Bodies, I'll be on the side that fights for .... boring!

I always hated The Quebecers too.

I fucking love tag team wrestling.

You sure?

:p

Still hate The Quebecers. Apart from the theme music. Early 1993 was a shit time for tag wrestling in the WWF.

• Paid Members
If there's a fight over the Heavenly Bodies, I'll be on the side that fights for .... boring!

I always hated The Quebecers too.

I fucking love tag team wrestling.

You sure?

:p

I love singles wrestling, and I find Randy Orton and many others boring.

In fairness, Heavenly Bodies and the Quebecers were septic. Heavenly Bodies confused me as a kid, as I didn't - and still don't - think that was a name doused in irony.

Skip and Zip were fantastic though.

• Paid Members

What kind of person didn't like the Quebecers and Heavenly Bodies? They were funny, had great comedy managers, had great theme tunes, great finishing moves, abused jobbers - what isn't to love about that?! I'm going off you, Branquey!

The Quebecers Quebec Province Rules match against the Steiners on Raw is still one of my all-time favourites.

Archived