Fake Razor/Diesel

Egg Shen

WWF really was in the shit from about June 1996 to December 1996.

Longer than that I'd say. I love 1997. From WrestleMania to Survivor Series is my favourite period in wrestling ever. But the first couple of months were pretty shite. Bret & Austin provided a few highlights and the Final Four main event is awesome but almost everything else is dire. The Nation as top heels and those horrible foreign Raws are the lowlight.

Foreign Raws?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only one I can think of is the Raw from Germany, which was actually pretty good and crowned the first European Champion in an awesome Owen vs. Bulldog match.

Ahmed/Faarooq was the 97' Rumble, I'm in the middle of watching it at the moment. Found the reaction really surprising, and also it's interesting to see how highly they rated Ron Simmons when he first entered the WWF. Managed by Sunny, who was one of the hottest commodities in the WWF (no pun intended), then had a big feud with Ahmed, who was clearly positioned to be the next huge superstar before injuries and being generally shit. And then there's the Nation's aforementioned dominance. If it wasn't for the crazy amount of talent in the Attitude Era, perhaps Faarooq would have being a bigger star.

• Paid Members

The South Africa show is about the most boring they've ever done. The Bulldog/Owen match hides the fact they were coasting in Germany. Not a fan of the Raw in Canada in the pitch-black Skydome either.

The Faarooq/Ahmed feud may have been OK if it hadn't gone on and on and on. Almost anything involving Crush and Savio though was torture.

• Paid Members

Those foreign Raws where the filter was so shit it looked like you were watching Sgt Bilko. Its crazy to hear stories that Vince considered the South African Raws the lowest point in WWF history at the time, because as a fan that was the first time WWF really became a chore for me to sit through. I especially remember a horrendous Crush and Ahmed Johnson match.

The pitch black sky dome Raw is a pretty depressing sight, and though it looks curious to watch now, it reflected a company grinding down the bones of its arse even more back then. In terms of them not being able to do good houses for TV back then, I actually thought Shotgun in the clubs etc was a better visual than some of those Raws. I adore that whole era pretty much in spite of itself, but the quality of creative tells two drastically different stories between the Austin/Bret/hot potato world title brilliance and virtually everything else on the card. Brutal brutal undercard at the time, the matches are iffy and no fuckers are over.

I had no idea the WWF were so poor back then. I was merely in my mid teens at the time and was a die hard WWF fan. I would never watch anything WCW related as it felt like a betrayal (ridiculous I know), but the odd time I caught a glimpse of WCW I always thought it looked poor (as in cheap), especially compared to the razzle dazzle of the WWF. Maybe my love for them blinded me from its shitness.

Archived