WWE Unifying the IC & US titles

Direct Impact

Apparently WWE are considering unifying the IC & US titles (again)

From LordsOfPain.net

- A title unification match between WWE United States Champion Dean Ambrose and WWE Intercontinental Champion Big E Langston is likely for the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view next month.

Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/WWE_to...oRJcqDOQgImL.99

What are your thoughts on this?

I quite like that they have two secondary titles, but these titles both seem on par with each other. So it questions why a wrestler would go for one over the other. It's not the first time WWE have unified these titles.

I'm guessing that they will keep the IC title over the US title with it being an original WWF title.

• Paid Members

The logical move. This would be a good way to further Big E's push as well as the 'Dean Ambrose is the weak link' angle that they have going on with The Shield. I believe that they have already hinted at a unification on TV haven't they? Sure they discussed it when Ambrose was doing guest commentary the other week, though I might be imagining that.

The cycle repeats itself. It's been done before to little no fanfare, not sure what purpose it solves now seeing as in general in WWE titles mean faff all. Rob Van Dam was the last unified holder iirc. Welcome to 12 years ago :/

Reigns and Langston at Wrestlemania is what I want to see. Desperately.

I want them to open, too.

I think in a few years time when they're headlining the show for themselves, it'll be ace to use clips of them opening the show. Plus, it could serve as Wrestlemania 30's nod to the future.

• Paid Members

A lot of you saying both titles are worthless so it will make no difference except one less worthless belt. Well, this could actually be a good step toward the secondary belt actually having something about it again. With this it will become the only singles belt that isn't THE top belt. That's a big difference. And with Langston currently holding it, someone they've very likely got big plans for and I personally can see being big shit in future and a feud with Reigns being teased (possibly at 'Mania) and Reigns being another guy there's clear big plans for, it could be the start of the IC belt being seriously reestablished.

And as mentioned could fit in really well with the Shield angle and Langston push.

Theirin lies the question, which championship will be retired?

I like the idea of IC and US still being around. I look back at some of the IC reigns, guys like John Morrison, Drew Mcintyre, CM Punk and Ezekial Jackson would have been better off winning the US championship first. There's still a few workers who in my opinion arent ready for the secondary championship, the Intercontinental before they've won the tertiary championship, in this case the United States Championship.

There's no question what title would be retired. The US title would be retired as the IC title is the WWE's belt. It's definitely a step in the right dorection. I was pushing for this moreso than the WWE and World titles unifying. Two midcard titles that are pitched at being the same level makes the midcard mean less. If they can get that aura of the IC title being a potential stepping stone to the WWE title again, it'll be an improvement.

Theirin lies the question, which championship will be retired?

I like the idea of IC and US still being around. I look back at some of the IC reigns, guys like John Morrison, Drew Mcintyre, CM Punk and Ezekial Jackson would have been better off winning the US championship first. There's still a few workers who in my opinion arent ready for the secondary championship, the Intercontinental before they've won the tertiary championship, in this case the United States Championship.

Promotion Wars Represent!

As far as the unification goes (if it happens), I think sadly it's probably too late to give any prestige back to the IC Title (or US if that's the one they keep), suppose it can't do any harm but if every feud to do with the belt starts with someone pinning the champion in a tag or non title match then no fan is going to care about it any more than they do now

Reigns and Langston at Wrestlemania is what I want to see. Desperately.

I want them to open, too.

I think in a few years time when they're headlining the show for themselves, it'll be ace to use clips of them opening the show. Plus, it could serve as Wrestlemania 30's nod to the future.

Langston is the new Brutus Beefcake. Cenas good buddy so gets a push. A midget with a baby face and big Ron Simmons arse. He is strong though.

Archived