UFC 169: Barao vs Faber 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'd love it if we got Pettis vs Aldo in July. I'm not sure if it's realistic though. Someone asked Dana during a media scrum last week about Pettis wanting to be back for the July PPV and Dana said "he's a maniac". So maybe the UFC's doctors don't think he'll be good to go by July.

Then there's the obstacle of Ricardo Lamas. If he upsets Aldo on Saturday then that cocks up any potential plans for Aldo fighting Pettis in the immediate future at least.

It's an interesting thought though, especially the Aldo moving up - Penn/Edgar winner facing someone for the vacant title. When BJ Penn announced the move to 145 and that he'd train at Nova Uniao, I wondered why he'd move to a division where the champion is his training partner and he'd be unlikely to challenge for the title. But maybe he knows Aldo is planning to go to 155, leaving the featherweight division for BJ. It won't happen but imagine if BJ won the title at 145, Aldo won the title at 155 and Barao goes on a streak as 135 champ? Nova Uniao would have a stranglehold on almost all the lower weight classes. Maybe that's the plan. Three division dominance. Sadly I don't think BJ has it in him. I'd love to be proven wrong though. And if he somehow did win the gold at 145, he'd be the first ever three division UFC champion.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That could just be the usual from Dana hyping guys up (another example this week was about the phonecall with Faber which would've made him "the biggest sportstar in the world if people had heard it).

Lamas is a live underdog but I really don't see anyway he can beat Aldo, he's got power but he's not going to outstrike Aldo. He hasn't fought for over a year and who has he actually beaten? Koch who got finished by Poirier, a decision over Hioki who has flopped in the US, and a submission over Swanson more than two years ago. He's earned the shot but he isn't going to trouble Aldo.

Maybe Aldo moves up right after beating Lamas at the weekend and Dana makes Edgar-Penn for the FW title? I'm sure they'd love to have BJ in another title fight.

Well, big Frank has been given his free pass to juice up this weekend;

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir, 34, has received his third therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), this time by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board. Mir has been granted a TUE ahead of his bout Saturday at UFC 169 opposite Alistair Overeem.

"Frank Mir has been licensed and medically cleared by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board (NJSACB) for UFC 169," said a statement released by Nick Lembo, counsel for the NJSCAB. "Typically, the NJSACB does not discuss medical matters or drug testing. Such is due to applicable privacy laws."

Lembo's statement indicates the governing body of combat sports in the state choose to publicly release a statement about Mir's TRT TUE after the fighter himself announced he had received one, which caused a flood of requests for information.

"Please be advised that we have chosen to honor the TUE's for TRT for Mr. Mir already granted by the states of Nevada and Wisconsin. Those records were provided to this agency."

Mir first received a TUE for TRT before UFC 146 in May of 2012 in Nevada where he eventually lost to Junior dos Santos via second-round TKO. He also obtained one at UFC 164 in Wisconsin in August of 2013 prior to his bout with Josh Barnett where he lost by first-round TKO.

Lembo states Mir was evaluated by a board certified endocrinologist and those records were reviewed by the commission's ringside physician. In addition, Mir will have to undergo a continual battery of tests to make sure he is in compliance with the terms of the exemption.

"Upon application in New Jersey, Mr. Mir was required to be seen by a board certified endocrinologist at a major medical institution for this particular exemption for this particular fight. The detailed report from the endocrinologist and applicable medical records were reviewed by our lead MMA ringside physician Dr. Sherry Wulkan.

"He has been, and will continue to be monitored via blood, hair and urine testing well prior to the event, near the event, pre bout, after the bout, and well after the competition date."

"Any further comment from this agency will not be made until after the competition," Lembo continued. "At this point, both Mr. Mir and Mr. Overeem should be able to solely focus on their upcoming bout. Any distractions due to this issue would be a disservice to the contest."

• Paid Members

You know what, the closer this card gets, the more excited I become. I think the main card in particular could well prove to be card of year by the end of 2014.

4 of the 5 fights causes serious waves in their respective divisions too. I'm making a bold statement here, but I'm actually more excited for this than UFC 168. Not only do we have big names on the card, but the fights should be incredible.

On a completely separate note, this is the first event back at the prudential center since 159 Jones vs Sonnen where I attended. I will be good to see the arena from a TV perspective as I didn't even bother watching 159 when I got as it was so dire.

• Paid Members

For all that's made of Barao's 'unbeaten in eight years' streak, and rightly so, you don't really see it mentioned but Jose Aldo has gone unbeaten that same amount of time. He hasn't rattled off as many wins as Barao in that time granted, but when you look at the guys he's beat and how he's done it, it's just as impressive.

Here's a short video of the Aldo/Barao/Penn dream team training together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=owezsdxumQM

Can't wait for this now. Still got the Countdown to watch yet which I'm looking forward to after the praise it's had in here.

• Paid Members

Mir's got a juice pass and Overeem's said he's trimmed down to work on his cardio, interested to see how he looks on the scale.

No love on here for Trujillo/Varner? probably the sleeper for FOTN, Varner has a tendency to get dragged into knock down/drag out affairs and if that happens here he may be getting fucked up. Abel Trujillo is amongst the nastiest fighters at 155, just an evil piece of work in the cage. I was really pumped for Trujillo/Bobby Green but Varner's a nice switch. It'll also be a chance to see if Trujillo worked on that chink in his armor (the wrestling) cause i imagine Varner's gonna try putting it on him.

• Paid Members
I actually cannot wait for this card. Come on Barao you goofy Brazilian bastard!

Fixed that for you. Barao is going to bollocks up Arse Chin's winning streak. Again.

Faber by submission. That streak is coming to an end...

IN THE CITYYYYYYYYY, THE CITY OF COMPTON

• Paid Members

Shame it's not in Compton then. It's in New Joisey, Sopranos country. I think Tony Soprano would've been more of a Barao guy than a Faber guy. They both love kneecapping their enemies. Barao does it with his leg kicks, Soprano would have Paulie pay them a visit, but same end result. Faber's legs will be sleeping with the fish come Sunday morning.

• Paid Members

Shame it's not in Compton then. It's in New Joisey, Sopranos country. I think Tony Soprano would've been more of a Barao guy than a Faber guy. They both love kneecapping their enemies. Barao does it with his leg kicks, Soprano would have Paulie pay them a visit, but same end result. Faber's legs will be sleeping with the fish come Sunday morning.

This isn't about UFC anymore, or Tony Soprano. it's about me enjoying the 1995 work of Tupac...

NOW LET ME WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE WILD, WILD WEST

Archived