UFC 169: Barao vs Faber 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

John Lineker isn't on the Dolce Diet anymore;

John Lineker was doing great with his new diet, but he is no longer working with Mike Dolce.

The Brazilian flyweight, who has missed weight in three of his five UFC appearances, started working with Dolce after a first-round TKO victory over Phil Harris, but he has changed his plans.

Lineker's manager Alex Davis explained the decision to leave Dolce before his flyweight bout with Ali Bagautinov at UFC 169 on Feb. 1.

"It got a little impracticable to work with Mike Dolce because of the distance and the communication barrier," Davis told MMAFighting.com. "He started the diet, but it was tough to continue, so we decided to work with Dr. Marcio Aranha, a great professional from Curitiba. Lineker is lighter than ever going into a fight. He's doing great. Dr. Aranha identified the problem and fixed it. He's amazing now."

The problem, according to Davis, was anxiety.

"(Aranha) changed his diet and worked on his anxiety," he said. "That's something I didn't know. Sometimes, when you get too anxious, it effects your weight cut. When you get closer to the weigh-ins and think you won't make weight, you start producing cortisol and retain more liquid than you normally would.

"Now, Lineker won't get there too heavy. He used to weight 147 pounds two weeks before the fight, and he's at 140 today. We're going to American Top Team on Wednesday to finish the training camp."

Lineker has won four in a row in the UFC with three consecutive knockouts, and Davis believes that training at ATT will get him ready for the next level, starting with Bagautinov.

"We have to praise his team in Paranagua in Brazil, but you get to a point where it's hard to fight guys at Bagautinov's level, Demetrious Johnson's, without leaving Paranagua. The major issue in Brazil is lack of training structure. He trained at ATT for his last fight and felt how it's like to have a team around you, and he will have it again this time."

Bagautinov enters the bout riding a 10-fight win streak, and Alex Davis expects a title shot for Lineker with a victory.

"If he goes there, makes weight and wins in a good fight, he will fight for the title," Davis said. "But we should remember that the Russian also wants to win to earn a shot at the title. He's really tough, we need to respect him. But I believe in John. He will do another great fight, but we need to do everything the right way."

It sounds like his weight is on track but it's a bit worrying that he didn't stick at the Dolce Diet. He must've known about the distance/communication issues when he started working with Dolce, so I'm wondering now if that was just an excuse because he was finding the diet hard. I hope not. If he can get his shit together I think he could at least challenge for the belt. But if they can't trust him to make weight they're not going to risk him fucking up a title fight like Travis Lutter did way back. Hopefully he's got it under control.

Regardless, I can't wait for this fight.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, as big a fan of Lineker as I am, I couldn't blame them for severing ties if he misses weight again. That'd be four times out of six he'd have come in heavy. There's no excuse for that. It'd be a shame because he's on good form and he's exciting to watch, but you have to make weight. If he can't make 125, he should fight at 135, it's that simple. It's getting close to Anthony Johnson stage now with Lineker, where they'll pretty much be left no choice but to cut him with another fuck up on the scales. I hope he's got his weight in check now though.

• Paid Members

It's difficult to say who's worse, Rumble or Lineker? In 11 fights Rumble missed weight 3 times (I think). Whilst Lineker has missed weight 3 out of 5 attempts.

However, the shocking thing with Rumble's weight miss was that the guy was missing weight at 170 and decided to finally go to 185 to get over these weight cut issues, to then missing weight again by a ridiculous 11lbs.

The interesting question is, if Rumble KO'd Belfort would he have been kept around like Lineker has been? If I remember correctly, Rumble was giving Belfort serious problems until Belfort slipped in that submission.

In fact, I hope the UFC gives Anthony Johnson another crack once his current contract is up with WSOF.

• Paid Members

Same. I'd love to see Rumble back in the UFC, but at 205. He's looked good since the UFC cut him, 205 seems the right weight class for him and he even fought Arlovski at heavyweight. How awesome would a Rumble vs Jimi Manuwa fight be for example?

I'm sure I read he's only got a fight or two left on his WSOF deal but I'm hazier than Nick Diaz at 4:20 on that. Rumble was saying he loves WSOF and he'd like to stay but if Joe Silva comes calling I think he'll be back.

• Paid Members

See, I would like to see him at 185. Whilst he has looked good at 205, he would probably struggle against the current 205 monsters. He's 6 ft 2 and at 185 he would be a beast with his current frame.

I know he beat Arlovski, but I think 185 would be a good home for him in the UFC.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man. I love Don Frye.

"I didn't know Cruz had a groin."

"That little Russian's like the Tasmanian Devil on crack."

I could keep going, but that would just spoil the video for others. Great, great man.

And the return of Stacy Keibler V2 with cleavage! Depending on how she fares in the ass and legs department, she might even out-do Stacy. A MMA-knowledgeable stunner? Where's that toy ring I won at the arcade...

• Paid Members
Is it just me or have they just forgotten that Faber already lost pretty handily to Barao before? Have they mentioned it on the countdown show?

It's covered in a major section on the countdown show, although they don't make it out as one sided as it was. To be fair, who do you mean by "they"? The UFC? Dana White? If so, I don't think it's in there best interests to really heavily cover that first fight as Urijah was schooled.

On the flip side if you mean "they" by journalists I would say it's been heavily discussed in the articles I've read, but it eventually leads to the conclusion that Faber is a different beast now to when they first fought.

Edit:- It's also in the promo posters and videos as being advertised as Barao vs Faber 2.

Watched Barao vs. Faber 1 the other day in prep, and I can't remember if Faber was actually carrying an injury in that fight, but he certainly seemed very gun-shy, he'd throw one punch or kick for Barao's 6. A stark difference to his 2013, a different beast indeed.

Since that fight, Alpha Male has really exploded as one of the very top fight camps in the world, right there with Jackson's and Black House, under Bang Ludwig. He's come around to being a very aggressive striker, possibly able to match the pace, if not the variety, of Barao's striking attack. I don't think this will resemble the first fight at all, I think it'll be balls-to-the-wall carnage- well, slightly refined, but I think it'll jump at least 5 notches on the aggression scale. I could see a KO/TKO on either side. Both are too skilled grapplers in my mind to fall to a sub, but I don't see this lasting five. Faber will be willing to take chances, and Barao will meet him right there.

• Paid Members

What's interesting about the countdown show is seeing all the journalists from pretty big media outlets interviewed regarding their opinions on the Barao/Faber fight.

Every major one I'm aware of is interviewed with the glaring omission of Ariel Helwani. It's actually the first time I can recall Luke Thomas being part of one of these shows?

This is me playing devils advocate here, but I wonder if their intention is to create more exposure for these others guys in order to increase their profiles in relation to Ariel?

Going back to David's comments regarding the first fight's coverage, during the countdown show Faber explains that he just wasn't himself in the first fight. That he had been out so long without fighting and on top of that dealing with his sisters accident. Surprisingly he says that whilst he had injured ribs, Barao was the better man on the night.

Also, parts 2 and 3 of the countdown show (along with part 1).

http://uk.ufc.com/media/UFC-169-Countdown-Barao-Faber

http://www.ufc.com/media/UFC-169-Countdown-Aldo-Lamas

http://www.ufc.com/media/UFC-169-Countdown-Mir-Overeem

Archived