UFC 169: Barao vs Faber 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A crazy thing about all that (besides, y'know, a stabbing occuring), is that that distraction didn't last long for the crowd, everyone was drawn straight back to the Varner/Trujillo fight.

It's like, "Oh shit, someone got stabbed!"

"Forget that, look at these two guys throwing bombs!!! Yeah!"

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I just don't like all this agreeing with David stuff, it just doesn't sit right with me :laugh:

That's pissed me off for a long time too. It's basically what happens when you have a monopoly. I know there's small companies like WSOF and Bellator etc, but the UFC simply have too much power and can shaft fighters left right and centre.

Also in agreeance with David. I personally dislike Jon Fitch and Jacob Volkmann, but it felt really off that Fitch got released after 1 loss to Maia, and Volkmann going 6-2 in 8 fights. Meanwhile Dan Hardy loses 4 straight and stays, as does Leonard Garcia. Fighter's lives shouldn't be at the whims of what Dana finds entertaining.

It's no different to real working life though. Say I sign a two year contract with the company I work for and after 6 months they don't feel I'm up to the challenge or I'm bad for moral, they are legally and justifiably able to fire/release me from my contract early with little financial impact (UFC releasees get a small severance too) and I've seen it happen many times to colleagues.

Everywhere you go you always see/hear of managers having kept on less able staff with brighter personalities over hard workers with little to no people-person skills - it's nothing new and frankly nothing shocking. I don't know why UFC should be singled out, it's the way of the world.

It's no different to real working life though. Say I sign a two year contract with the company I work for and after 6 months they don't feel I'm up to the challenge or I'm bad for moral, they are legally and justifiably able to fire/release me from my contract early with little financial impact (UFC releasees get a small severance too) and I've seen it happen many times to colleagues.

Everywhere you go you always see/hear of managers having kept on less able staff with brighter personalities over hard workers with little to no people-person skills - it's nothing new and frankly nothing shocking. I don't know why UFC should be singled out, it's the way of the world.

When you sign that two year contract with the company does it prevent you from leaving your job and going elsewhere if you get offered more money or benefits? Will your current employer take you to court to ensure you cannot move elsewhere?

Also in agreeance with David. I personally dislike Jon Fitch and Jacob Volkmann, but it felt really off that Fitch got released after 1 loss to Maia, and Volkmann going 6-2 in 8 fights. Meanwhile Dan Hardy loses 4 straight and stays, as does Leonard Garcia. Fighter's lives shouldn't be at the whims of what Dana finds entertaining.

My issue in this instance isn't even that the likes of Volkmann and Fitch get let go, it's how it happens.

With guys like that the UFC should have every right to decline the option of renewing their contracts. Both guys would know going into the final fight of their deal that their style isn't what the company are looking for, and as such should be prepared somewhat to become free agents. It's the way the UFC can simply decide during a post-fight presser that someone is being let go (with some fighters finding out via third parties that they've been let go after Dana has mentioned it at the post-fight presser whilst the fighter in question is at the hospital or backstage getting stitched up).

That's completely unfair, and it's what leads to guys fighting for a win more than fighting to their full capacity or to entertain. If each fighter knew they had the duration of their contract as a guarantee we'd see people fighting with less fear and trepidation of losing, and in many ways we'd see them fighting to win their next contract.

If fighters saw the likes of Fitch get two or three fight deals, whilst the likes of Garcia, Swanson and other exciting fighters get five or six fight deals we'd see more guys go out to entertain as it would equal guaranteed financial security more than anything else.

• Paid Members

This is fighting MOM. As a fighter you're getting smashed in the face, limbs potentially broken, bones possibly shattered etc etc. This is exactly why it shouldn't be like every day to day job. A fighter also has a smaller window in terms of their career. It's not like they can move to the next job if one doesn't work out like you or I. A fighter may suffer a bad injury in one of their fights and could struggle to find work if they are released whilst injured.

On top of that, a knockout punch can happen in a split second and it can happen to anyone. These situations simply don't arise in a normal job. If a fighter signs a 4/5 fight contract, they should be allowed to fulfill that obligation.

Additionally, most people have a union they can be part of if they feel that the release has been unjust.

• Paid Members

right, so who do you put in there next with Renan Barao? Bantamweight's a little bit of a mess at the moment:

1 Urijah Faber

2 Michael McDonald

3 Raphael Assuncao

4 Eddie Wineland

5 TJ Dillashaw

6 Brad Pickett

7 Takeya Mizugaki

8 Mike Easton

9 Dominick Cruz

10 Iuri Alcantara

that's the top 10, Pickett's gone. Wineland already lost to Barao, Dillashaw would have been the prime candidate but is only coming off a single win since losing to Assuncaso, McDonald's coming off a loss.

The obvious candidate is Raphael Assuncao (5 fight streak) he was due to fight at 170 but conveniently Francisco Rivera pulled out injured, do you just pull him from 170 and set up a fight with Barao? (2 Brazilians, do it in Brazil?). Or do you have Assuncao possibly fight someone at 170 for the no.1 contender slot?

• Paid Members

Didn't know Assuncao vs Rivera was off. I'd do that then. Barao vs Assuncao. It's not a PPV headlining type fight but maybe stick it on a Brazil Fight Night or a FOX show or something. If it does end up on PPV I'd guess it'll probably be co-main to another title fight. I guess it all depends on how quick Barao wants to get back in there though really.

• Paid Members

if Barao waits though, who's he waiting for? There's no real clear path to the title for anyone here, until Assuncao loses he's pretty much the clear cut no.1 contender now. Urijah called for TJ to get the shot until Assuncao loses he can't really leap frog him can he? Wineland is calling for a fight with Assuncao but if Wineland knocked him off would the UFC go for Wineland/Barao II?

• Paid Members

I tell you what, when you look across all the divisions in the ufc, there really is a major problem with depth.

Let's start at heavyweight.

Cain is head and shoulders above anyone in that division

Lhw. Jones and Gustafson and possibly Cormier. Edit. Forgot about Texeira. So lhw ain't too bad

Middleweight. Out of all the divisions I would say this is the most healthiest. You have Belfort as a clear contender followed by Machisa and probably Jacare. Still, not a lot of depth.

WW. You have Hendricks and Lawler, but the rest are way being and have already been beaten.

LW.. Pettis and that's it as far as clear cut contenders.

FW. Aldo. As per above. Mendes perhaps on recent form and potentially McGregor?

BW. Barao as above, and perhaps Faber rematch? Assuncao?

FW. Johnson and no one else.

What they should do is merge BW and FW.

Assuncao is the most obvious number 1 contender, but I don't think many people would be too excited to see him in a title fight. I know Dillashaw had a fight fairly recently but maybe they could do a rematch between the two of them to decide a number one contender. Sounds a bit silly considering Assuncao already beat Dillashaw but many people thought Dillashaw should've got the nod and it was a fun fight, so I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I just don't think there's any way they could put Dillashaw ahead of Assuncao right now. A number one contenders fight would also allow the UFC to hype Assuncao up a bit more if he is going to be in a title fight.

• Paid Members
if Barao waits though, who's he waiting for? There's no real clear path to the title for anyone here, until Assuncao loses he's pretty much the clear cut no.1 contender now. Urijah called for TJ to get the shot until Assuncao loses he can't really leap frog him can he? Wineland is calling for a fight with Assuncao but if Wineland knocked him off would the UFC go for Wineland/Barao II?

It's not so much that he'd be waiting for anyone in particular, he might just want a bit of rest. People might say 'well he took no damage against Faber' but he still had a full camp and sparring with Aldo regularly. Plus, people were saying Faber maybe shouldn't have taken two fights without proper recovery time, Barao might not want to get back in there for a few months. Whereas Assuncao is at the end of a full camp for 170, before the fight fell off.

I'm just guessing, Barao might want straight back in. I definitely think Assuncao should be next.

Archived