The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

I've got the Bath Half in just under a month which I am doing for Bath Cats and Dogs Home...while wearing a giant Mutley from Wacky Races outfit. 

If any kind soul would like to donate anything, drop me a PM (not going to clog up threads with that stuff), but the main challenge is that I'm trying to do a sub 2 hour time with the outfit on. Quickest I've done a half marathon in is about 1:42, but that was when I was in better shape and not wearing what is essentially an electric blanket over my head. 

Also, well done Monkee. Sterling work. 

• Paid Members

I've personally never had a weight goal but my consultant at the hospital did. Their target weight for me was 12st which is ridiculous as I'm 5ft 11 and I think I'd look ill if I was 12st. My goal was (and is) based around clothes size - I wanted to be a size 16 so I could shop in 'normal' high street stores instead of having to buy everything online. I used to be a size 28 and am now a 16/18 but I'd still like to lose probably another 2st. I think I'm going for the latter in your question now - it's not about weight or clothes size but feeling comfortable.

There are two problems I'm facing at the moment though. One is that I just can't stop buying clothes. It's getting a bit out of control but nothing I have fits me any more. I have spent today clearing out my wardrobe though and I'm going to put all the old stuff on eBay so hopefully that'll replace at least some of the money I've been spending. I used to hate clothes shopping but now I find I can't stop!

The second problem is loose skin. So far it's not been too bad on my belly or thighs (although there will be a point when it does become an issue) but my arms are bothering me. My bingo wings are the focus of my loathing right now. Even in the photo of me on the right I can see how big my arms are at the top. Although I've lost weight across my shoulders and chest I can see that I'm still very wide because my arms are bulging outwards. But it's something I'm just going to have to live with at least for the time being. I can't have excess skin removed until I stop losing weight and keep constant for a certain length of time and even then it's touch and go whether it'll be approved.

Edited by Monkee

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a dilemma. I'm off sick this week and I'm a temp so no sick pay. My lungs are proper shit, one works one doesn't and I had an asthma attack and sleep apnea at the weekend. It hurts when I breathe. Normally I'd get signed off instantly given my past history but I can't afford to as I'm in debt and need to be earning.

Last two times this has happened I've been signed off for a couple of months while my lungs get examined for tuberculosis and cancer but I always come back clean so to speak. So do I suck it up and fight the pain, or do I get signed off, get better and hope I still have a job and a flat?

• Paid Members

Have you looked into what, if any other benefits you might be entitled to while signed off? Worth seeing what else you may be eligible for.

Also, depending who your debts are with you might be able to speak to them and get a bit of leeway to make a late or smaller payment.

Obviously it's a tight spot, but if you can do it you're better off getting signed off and sorting yourself out than risking it getting worse.

Yeah, I've worked for debt management companies so I should be alright on that front but it's more the risking not working for a few month until I get the all clear that I know will be coming. I've just spent a month off the sauce for the first time in forever and mentally I'm doing well. Last year was a year from hell and I see being off work as a reminder of that and I don't want to be bothering the Samaritans every night again.

Well I went for an X-ray and they said my GP would get the results in a fortnight. Two days later they called and "They've found something". They wouldn't go into detail over the phone but I'm having an appointment made for me ASAP. I know there is no point getting worked up until I know what it is,but to quote a great man, "Me pots have gone, lads"