The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I'm more out of shape than I want to let myself believe sometimes.

drink, takeaways and evening snacking along with a distinct lack of exercise for quite an extended period of time has taken its toll and I think now is the time to start trying to do something about it.

I've been threatening to join the gym again for a few months now and failed to get round to it, I think its time I shifted my lard arse and got out there. I've a couple of stone to lose I think.

• Paid Members

Not in the shape of my life, but am getting married in August, so I'm now in full on training for the Brighton half Marathon in Feb. Cutting back on the booze post Xmas, and have gone veggie for January, and am eating as clean, so hoping to see some results within a month. 8 mile run due this week, which is the furthest I've done in over 2 years.

Started another round of Insanity. Did it last year and lost loads of weight, then started P90X but got bored of it after about 6 weeks.

What's the difference between the two? Are they as high impact on your joints as they appear?

Insanity is basically an extreme cardio workout incorporating some bodyweight resistance work, with no weights involved. P90X includes weight training in the program as well as plyo, yoga and a kenpo based workout each week.

Some parts of the workouts are higher impact, no doubt about it, but not excessively so.

• Paid Members

I tried last year to get a bit healthier but it all sort of fizzled out. So, here I go again.

I haven't smoked since 2/1, so that's...four days? I've been using e-cigs though, so I'm still hopelessly addicted to nicotine but on the plus side I'm not inhaling a fuck ton of chemicals and tar and shit, and I can hopefully use this as a springboard. Haven't missed smoking at all, I enjoy vaping.

Joining my local gym tomorrow, which also has a pool, so will try and get back to swimming again combined with treadmill to get the cardio going and then down the line look at weight training. I reckon I'd be a fucking monster if I worked at it!

I've cut out fizzy drinks, replacing them with water, again since the 2nd.

Hopefully I won't fizzle out again...

• Paid Members

Those with longer memories will recall just how keen i was to play an active part in this thread last year, only to as is so often the case, given up entirely once i lost control of the work life balance and succumed to convenience.

That said, new year, new start and we'll have another go in 2014, especially now that vanity isn't my only motivation for wanting to get in shape. I find it remarkable that for a man with my idols, i've never made a consistent effort to improve the way my body looks, so i'm hoping the extra emphasis on wanting to be an active father will be what helps me eventually sustain change.

Talk of diet early doors and this is where i typically suffer come the winter months, craving every form of nutritional nasty you could imagine and this year is no different. Since October I've gone from 155lbs and still plenty of room for improvement, to 170lbs as of last Saturday and struggling to get into those slim fit shirts i worked so hard to fit initially, essentially all the hard work of the previous 9 months, completely undone in three.

I've said before, my problem lies with food and Mrs Matrix being a fucking wizard in the kitchen dosent help, but i've asked her kindly to stop serving me such large portions because i know i dont have the discipline to abstain and for Christmas, she bought me this pretty funky lunchbox which i hope will help my portion control on a daily basis.

So, my question is, how does the following shape us as a daily packed lunch?

Lunch_zps7e49a19a.png

The Caramel is hangover from Christmas, I dont have a particularly sweet tooth, but again, it comes down to it being there. I did however, donate 6 selection boxes to the local Children's Ward on Boxing Day, so that felt pretty good not just because of the obvious damage limitation.

There's a couple of clementines as well, but they wouldnt fit in the lovely little sections.

Edited by John Matrix

It's ambitious but its hardly unachievable, I've managed over a stone in 3 months before, which would roughly put onto my target ir just close to it. As it stands before Christmas I was down to about a meal or so a day (money more than anything) and dropped from over 12 stone to 10.8 through losing a large amount of puppy fat seemingly. I've got faith in it for sure.

Unless you are some sort of genetic freak, this wont be happening.

• Paid Members

In seriousness though. That doesn't look terrible. Nor does it look amazing. Bit it is a good start. Doesn't look like a whole lot to me, but I've got the appetite of 3 horses and you did mention you're trying cut your portion sizes.

There's some decent protein sources in there, but your body requires all 3 macro nutrient groups to function at an optimal level - protein, carbohydrates and EFAs (essential fatty acids). You don't really have any of the second two in there., beyond the banana and bread. And yeah, bread - cut that shit out. I'm pretty sure we went over this last year so I won't go into it massively again, but fuck it off and that'll do you wonders. Get carbs in there in some other form, it's just as simple to as throwing some bread in really. Prepare a sweet potato (it's not difficult and that will fit in there nicely (and its much tastier than bread) or simpler still buy some ready chopped and prepared squatternut bosh or buy a pack of microwaveable Tilda brown rice - have half a pack per serving. Piss of piece and tasty too, again certainly tastier and more interesting than white bread.

How is that lunchbox consumed throughout the day Johnboy? Obviously your throwing it down your gob, but in what order and what goes with what? Or is it just a free for all of whatever takes your fancy?

• Paid Members

I've put on about half a stone since the start of December, I'm 6ft & currently 13 1/2 stone.

For the most part I eat quite cleanly. Breakfast is usually (practically always) a natural yoghurt with either nuts, berries or grapes (depending on the time of year). Lunch is a large salad bowl with meat/fish and fuit. Dinner is meat/fish/vegetables in some form. Don't eat much bread & eat very little processed food.

The killer is weekends when meals lose any sense of pre-planning & beer/takeaways/sweets come into the equation. I want to lose 20lbs by the end of March. I know from previous form that I should drop the xmas weight from just going back to eating normally again but I'm going to stick to the DDP yoga regime for the next 12 weeks & hope that combining that back with eating normally again helps me drop the extra. I'd dabbled with his yoga before & enjoyed it but I got a heart rate monitor at Christmas so I'll be able to do it properly & ensure I getting the most out of it. The bitch part really is the pints, what would acceptable form of booze be? Gin & slimline tonics?

• Paid Members
What's that big yellow thing in the middle?

You scamp!

In seriousness though. That doesn't look terrible. Nor does it look amazing. Bit it is a good start. Doesn't look like a whole lot to me, but I've got the appetite of 3 horses and you did mention you're trying cut your portion sizes.

That's where i'm struggling. I too have a fucking huge appetite, but i never know whether it's hunger, thirst or boredom, so before i know what's good, i was trying to keep volume down. As it goes, it's 1:30 and all that's left are the beans and 2 clementines. That said, i dont feel hungry at the moment, so...

There's some decent protein sources in there, but your body requires all 3 macro nutrient groups to function at an optimal level - protein, carbohydrates and EFAs (essential fatty acids). You don't really have any of the second two in there., beyond the banana and bread. And yeah, bread - cut that shit out. I'm pretty sure we went over this last year so I won't go into it massively again, but fuck it off and that'll do you wonders.

That'll easily be the biggest challenge i'll face. I've been a bread addict for as long as i can remember, so 1 x sandwich is a reduction on the 2, plus a few slices for breakfast and then one to mop up my leftovers with. I know, excuses, excuses.

Get carbs in there in some other form, it's just as simple to as throwing some bread in really. Prepare a sweet potato (it's not difficult and that will fit in there nicely (and its much tastier than bread) or simpler still buy some ready chopped and prepared squatternut bosh or buy a pack of microwaveable Tilda brown rice - have half a pack per serving. Piss of piece and tasty too, again certainly tastier and more interesting than white bread.

I have been eating sweet potato with my evening meals as that was easier than prepping it in advance, but i'll give the Squash a punt as that's readily available locally as is the rice although any tips on improving the taste of brown rice would be greatly appreciated. Do you just eat it as is, or mix something in with it?

How is that lunchbox consumed throughout the day Johnboy? Obviously your throwing it down your gob, but in what order and what goes with what? Or is it just a free for all of whatever takes your fancy?

See, this is the other bit i'm really interested in as i know there are supposed to be optimimum times and orders in which to eat things. Honestly, it's when i feel the urge to eat and whatever item i fancy at the time. I can rarely be arsed to fight for space in the communial fridge though, so the eggs and prawns are usually gone by 10am as i cant keep them chilled.