The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Been doing quite a bit of running lately, wanting to get in tip top shape for my coaching.

It's shit, isn't it? Christ I find it so boring. Listening to a podcast helps. Just going for 4 mile runs at a time (nothing near Ralphy Ronaldo levels) certainly does the trick, but I don't enjoy it. I've started playing competitive football on Monday nights which of course is more enjoyable. I cycle to/from the train station twice a day but that doesn't give me as much of a workout as running does.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Been doing quite a bit of running lately, wanting to get in tip top shape for my coaching.

It's shit, isn't it? Christ I find it so boring. Listening to a podcast helps. Just going for 4 mile runs at a time (nothing near Ralphy Ronaldo levels) certainly does the trick, but I don't enjoy it. I've started playing competitive football on Monday nights which of course is more enjoyable. I cycle to the train station twice a day but that doesn't give me as much of a workout as running does.

Yeah, running, especially on your own, is absolute shite. I do it a lot, but only because it's the cheapest and easiest way for me to avoid dropping dead in my 60's. 

If you can, I would recommend joining a club. The knowledge that everyone else is having as bad a time as you helps. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

It's shit, isn't it? Christ I find it so boring. Listening to a podcast helps. Just going for 4 mile runs at a time (nothing near Ralphy Ronaldo levels) certainly does the trick, but I don't enjoy it. I've started playing competitive football on Monday nights which of course is more enjoyable. I cycle to/from the train station twice a day but that doesn't give me as much of a workout as running does.

I run on my own around 3/4 times a week, usually between 4-8 miles and the rare 10+ miles if I'm training for a run. It is fucking boring, but as you mentioned podcasts are a godsend. I pretty much look at running now as my time to catch up on podcasts and music so it helps me to look forward to it in a way.

• Paid Members

Admittedly I've only been doing it since the turn of the year, but I fucking love my running. Far from finding it boring, I find the time flies while I'm out there, no headphones needed. Find it quite meditative too.

Have my first event a week on Sunday, the Run Norwich 10k, so I'm deep into my training plan for that. Anything under an hour I'll be happy with, secretly hoping for 57 mins-ish.

I wouldn't exercise that much, of any kind, and I'm a PT. My life balance would be totally out of whack. I noticed in an earlier post you said you'd covered 11 miles in three hours that morning, and you posted that shortly after 8am. So you'd started at 5am? You've also posted about the quantities of food you eat, then state you're around 8 stone, which isn't overweight at all unless you're extremely short. You've said you live with your parents, with a father who from your perspective appears to resent you and a mother who appears passive. You mention your anxiety, but no mention of work life or social life (even with a condition). As impressive as your fitness achievements are and how rightly proud you see of them, I really do question how and why you are really doing them, and whether they are masking something less healthy that you should be dealing with. This is also based on your recent posts where you described your dangerously negative mind space, and were advised by a lot of forum members to seek help from professional organisations like Samaritans. Just, please, be careful.

Ignore if out of line.