The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Right, in recent times I've proper fallen off the wagon (or, perhaps more appropriately, got on the wagon instead of making the effort to walk) and have spent the last two years distracting myself from office boredom with unholy amounts of Irn Bru and biscuits.

It took until the end of last year when I realised that I couldn't fit my 40" waist into many of my clothes anymore to actually commit to losing some weight.

So I'm currently about 30lbs down and back in the 32" waist trousers, but I've got the Ric Flair thing going on with my chest where it's sagging on the outside just in front of my armpit. Has anyone got any ideas about hoe to reduce this?

• Paid Members

Well done on the weight loss. Push ups and any sort of excercise that targets that area will tighten you up. Push ups being the easiest. Start off doing them with your knees on the floor. Then build up to doing full push-ups as you get stronger.

Edited by BigJag
Spelling.

Nice one on the weight loss, that's a cracking amount!

I've had some CT scans done on the tumour to see what the tissue is like around it so they can determine the best way to get rid.  Hopefully they won't have to do a biopsy and can just cut the fucker straight out, ain't no way I'm losing my beautiful hair.

• Paid Members

I was very aware that, gradually, over the course of my relationship (now into its sixth year), I'd been putting on weight. Before I met my partner, I was down to 14 stone - I wasn't particularly healthy and the way I achieved getting down to that weight was a steady diet of white cider and not eating much). Earlier in my life, I'd been as high as 21 stone.

Today, we got some digital scales. I figured I was back up to around 18 stone - I was even prepared for 19 stone.

20.6 stone.

Fuck. I have got to sort myself out.

43 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I was very aware that, gradually, over the course of my relationship (now into its sixth year), I'd been putting on weight. Before I met my partner, I was down to 14 stone - I wasn't particularly healthy and the way I achieved getting down to that weight was a steady diet of white cider and not eating much). Earlier in my life, I'd been as high as 21 stone.

Today, we got some digital scales. I figured I was back up to around 18 stone - I was even prepared for 19 stone.

20.6 stone.

Fuck. I have got to sort myself out.

I was here a few months back. Did'nt want to weigh myself but thought fuck it lets have a look. 20 stone dead on. Woke me up abit.

Since lost 2.5 stone in the last 7 weeks. Intermittent fasting plus low carb diet. Cutting down the booze to one evening a week was huge. I was knocking back a bottle of wine or a few beers everyday. Basically adding a 1000 calories to my normal crap diet. I hate the gym and exercise in general so I just do a 30 min walk a day after dinner. The weight seems to be falling off atm. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I was here a few months back. Did'nt want to weigh myself but thought fuck it lets have a look. 20 stone dead on. Woke me up abit.

Since lost 2.5 stone in the last 7 weeks. Intermittent fasting plus low carb diet. Cutting down the booze to one evening a week was huge. I was knocking back a bottle of wine or a few beers everyday. Basically adding a 1000 calories to my normal crap diet. I hate the gym and exercise in general so I just do a 30 min walk a day after dinner. The weight seems to be falling off atm. 

I don't drink at all, really. But I am eating so much junk - mainly chocolates and Haribo strawberry straws. I mean, a lot of this stuff. Today alone I have consumed three full bars of chocolate and two sirloin steak sandwiches ffs. There is a gym opening literally attached to the building I live in, so there should be no excuse for me getting in there. But diet, for sure, is my problem.

EDIT: Oh, it's not a proper gym that's opening, it's 9Round - https://www.9round.co.uk/find-a-club/seven-sisters-coming-soon.

Anyone have any opinions on if they kind of training they're offering, as outlined on their website, is worth £40 a month? It also seems to be fairly female-orientated, from what I'm reading, and I don't want to be the one creepy dude.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Jobber, if you haven't already looked at it, you Should give DDP Yoga a go. It really is worth putting some time into. 

I downloaded it ages ago but have never used it. I've also had Couch to 5k recommend to me.

Happily, one of the residents in the other blocks who, unlike those in our block, has access to the communal gym has said she will let us use her access whenever we want.

• Paid Members
On 5/19/2018 at 8:46 PM, SpursRiot2012 said:

I don't drink at all, really. But I am eating so much junk - mainly chocolates and Haribo strawberry straws. I mean, a lot of this stuff. Today alone I have consumed three full bars of chocolate and two sirloin steak sandwiches ffs. There is a gym opening literally attached to the building I live in, so there should be no excuse for me getting in there. But diet, for sure, is my problem.

EDIT: Oh, it's not a proper gym that's opening, it's 9Round - https://www.9round.co.uk/find-a-club/seven-sisters-coming-soon.

Anyone have any opinions on if they kind of training they're offering, as outlined on their website, is worth £40 a month? It also seems to be fairly female-orientated, from what I'm reading, and I don't want to be the one creepy dude.

For £40 a month they had better be offering something pretty special when there's several "casual" gyms charging less than half that.

Diet - particularly snacking and fizzy drinks - was what I fell foul of. Ten hours a day sat at a desk listening to people whinge meant I was stuffing my face with crap to keep some kind of enjoyable stimulus going in.

Thai chili chicken McCoys and lemon Fanta is a great combo, followed by a flapjack, courtesy of Linda the sandwich lady. That should see me through to lunch, except it often didn't and a handful or two of Maltesers would get eaten. After lunch I'd have some kind of dessert, maybe a muffin or a Mr Kipling type cake (or two, as they're only small). More Maltesers, a litre of Irn Bru, and so on. 

Easily another 1000 calories each day just from eating crap at work, and I'd usually be drinking Irn Bru and attacking the chocolate digestives (with lemon curd spread on them if I was feeling particularly wretched) when I got home. 

You have to cut that shit out, simple as that. Don't aim to go cold turkey, because sugar addiction is exactly that. The cravings will make you just have a little bit that's just "your little secret" and so it doesn't really count, and then you allow yourself another little bit because the other one didn't count, and you're back where you were.

I found the best way was to wean myself down, and also not to allow myself to start snacking too early as once you start, you've kick starter the cravings.

At first I wasn't allowed to snack before 12:00, then 13:00, and now I don't have anything before 14:00, unless I'm really hungry and then I have something on the understanding that I decided to break the rule and I can't whinge about it afterwards.

Before lunch, I'm only allowed something savoury, which is usually a bag of those pea snacks you get from Aldi or some cashews. After lunch I can have a single sweet thing, be it ONE Mr Kipling cake or no more than three biscuits (Sainsbury's own brand cookies are shitty, by the way. Stick to Maryland, especially as they're always on offer somewhere).

No fizzy drinks. As well as the sugar content, I find they bloat my stomach. Milk or fruit juice if I think I deserve a treat, otherwise it's water. 

It took about two weeks for this to sink in and become routine, and I do have the occasional "bad day", but I don't beat myself up about it, I just made sure I don't have another one too soon.

I could go hardcore and lose more, as it only breaks down to losing about 1.5lbs a week, but I've been able to stick to it this way.

• Paid Members

FI was 17 stone 2ibs when I came back off my holiday April 2nd (an all inclusive cruise so I ate and drank like a pig for a week) got back and said enough is enough. I started DDP yoga ! it's great and also started drinking organic cider vinegar and raspberry ketones. And am using my fitness Pal to  keep track of what I eat  and drink. I hit the scales last week at 15 stone 9. With a aim of around 12 stone 7. Basically it can be done. I ate a lot of chocolate and sweets. Drank a fair amount too. It's all about how much you want it.

• Paid Members

Stand up with DDP is your friend. Ill say it now DDP yoga is not really yoga. I mean there are some aspects of it but its really a great cardio workout. Im starting to get toned in places i have never had muscles. Now starting Couch to 5k after hearing aboht it on hear. It sounds great.

Since getting back from the honeymoon where my diet consisted of every delicious high calorie food mainland Europe could throw at me including a day of 2 pizzas and a pasta in Rome where I found I can put on weight as quick as lose money I've been back in the gym everyday for a least 30 mins often up to an hour. 

The thing is while people have said I already look better I haven't actually lost much weight at all if i'm on the scale. I've googled a lot about this and get the usual answers but wondered if it was actually because i'm doing a lot of weight training, putting on muscle at the same time. My wife seems to think it's the protein shakes which I pretty much only take once a day before a workout. I'm doing cardio for only 10-15 minutes on average every session too. Personally i'm not massively concerned what the scale says as long as i'm looking and feeling better which I am but just want to see if some people without an agenda to sell me something think its normal.

If you're putting on muscle then you won't be losing weight, as muscle weighs more than fat.  But it also burns more energy so it will help you lose weight long-term.

That said, if you want to specifically lose weight, then you need to regulate your diet and do more running/swimming/cardio.  The 5-2 diet is a really good way to lose weight without going fucking mad IMO.