The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I've set myself a reasonably realistic little goal this time round: To be fit enough to come off the bench for 10 / 15 minutes before the end of the local Sunday League season. I've never played football in my life (save for 2 appearances for the under 16's, over a than a decade ago now) and can't run more than a few paces without losing my breath as things stand.

The standard of the football I watch on Sunday mornings is terrible though, and due a serious lack of commitment from the team they are always struggling for numbers. I think that if I get fit enough to at least be able to run in multiple directions for 10 / 15 minutes there'll be some point where they could do with an extra set of legs. Hell, they were shouting for me to come on the other week when an injured player left them with 10, even though they know I’m unfit and have no experience.

Is that the shittest and least ambitious goal ever or what? Or is it slightly more excusable than having no aim at all?

50% of something is better than 100% of fuck all

Thanks. I'm going to lift some small weights with my mate and jog down an industrial back road tonight just to test the waters of my (un)fitness. Late on last year I managed to get to the point of being able to jog this same road up and down 4 times.

If I get from one end to the other and still have the lungs to walk back at normal pace tonight though, I'll be happy.

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Binge-time over, back to workouts. 4.4 miles on the street in a shade under an hour, with some light arm-work and plenty of stretching. My right ankle's a little sore on the top, but good stuff.

The last few months of 2013 was a massive confidence booster for me in terms of finding out I can realistically achieve my goals. For the past few years I've been weighing about 9.5 stone at 5'8" and no matter what I did, I struggled to put on mass. I was diagnosed with diabetes in August and was down to a whopping 7 stone 13 at the time which was absolutely mental. Afterwards, I hit the gym hard and ate as often as I could, and I managed to get up to 10 stone 10 which is where I am at the moment.

While I love a good kebab every so often, I have the benefit of being a healthy eater so I don't get massive cravings or anything. My downfall at the moment is breakfast which I struggle with. At the moment I'm eating 3 boiled eggs at 7:30am on the way to work, then I won't eat again until about 10:30-11am where I'll get some mackerel and a mass gainer shake. I know if I could drag my arse out of bed 15 minutes earlier and get some toast down myself I'd feel much better for it and notice the results.

I want to get up to 12 stone within the next few months which I think is quite realistic considering the amount I put on just a few months ago.

2013 ended quite badly for me as far as fitness went. I had quite an indulgent summer to start with as holidays to Magaluf and then San Francisco and Vegas took a toll on my body but I was still in decent shape until I damaged the rotator cuff in my right shoulder in September which completely stopped me from being able to work out with weights or even run until mid December and by then id slipped into a bingey diet as a way to cheer me up and fill the time.

Im now fully back in the gym after 3 months and my shoulder is starting to feel strong again and im slowly working back upto what I was lifting in the summer. Its the most frustrating feeling getting back into the gym after a reasonably long time out and struggling to bench anywhere near what you were before and finding yourself exhausted and muscles dead so quickly into a workout.

My main training is going into running the Reading half Marathon in 8 weeks time and its proving quite difficult as ive never been a long distance runner at all. Im going for regular 5 mile runs at the moment and averaging a nice 7 and a half minute mile pace but finding myself bolting at the start and putting in a few very quick miles and then losing a lot of energy and stamina later in the run. Going to be upping my runs and adding a mile or two every week before, hopefully, running something like 15 miles a week before the race. Just need to learn to pace myself properly. Im hoping I can get the half marathon out of the way comfortably and then ill sign up for a full marathon and just get it ticked off the checklist and never touch long distance running again!

Well, because I know you're all just dying to know how I got on tonight, I surprised myself by doing a lot better than I thought I would in both the weights and the jogging. I jogged easily more than double what I thought I'd be able to, and was surprised how little strength I'd lost on the weights, having done nothing but sit on my fat arse drinking ale and eating chips and cheese for most of 2013.

Positive start then. I'll be back out on the jog tomorrow if I don't wake up to horrendously stiff legs.

• Paid Members

I had a funeral on Friday and had to wear my fat guy suit jacket and it was a bit of a squeeze, meaning I've officially reverted back to the roly poly state I was in 5/6 years ago. Quite rotten of me, considering I managed to get down to 12 stone, which is exactly where I should be.

I lost the weight last time by walking an hour+ a day and not eating like a pig so I'm going to do it again plus DDP's YRG, which I was doing in the Summer and, along with a better diet, I lost about 8 pounds at a reasonable pace - sadly, I stopped doing it because I'm lazy and I prefer pizza.

No interest in having a vein pop out my arm, however.

• Moderators

I put on a stunning 8lbs of fat since my return to the UK on the 19th December. Ironically, returning to the USA will result in that going. The two biggest culprits of thost 8lbs, beer and bread. I love the both of them, but bread is shit in the US so I rarely eat it, beer is much more controlled too (once a week rather than one day off a week).

I'd like to get my arse in gear in terms of bringing lunch to work with me. It's good for the wallet and the waist. The sweet potato is a good idea that I will consider. I think the best thing for me would be to prep all my lunches on a sunday. I never have time in the morning.

I'm 26 years old, probably about 5ft 11 and when I weighed myself yesterday, I was just short of 15 stone.

My problem aswell is, my back is fucked. Don't know why, but it's got worse as I've put weight on.

Anyway, my girlfriend is training to be a Personal trainer and has just recently got a new job (not started yet mind) so she wants some experience doing that, and I need to get my fat ass in shape. Did a workout last night with her and she has ruined me. My legs almost gave out last night and my back is worse than ever.

Tonight we're working on flexibility apparently.

Need to get my diet sorted out too. Drinking more water as a start and eating less junk food

I keep thinking this. It has reached a point where I'm going to need it looked at. Certainly not doing intense exercise at the minute. I'm far too unfit for that, nevermind my back.

My missus (although no professional) reckons it could be a sciatic nerve. So it is something I need to get looked at

• Moderators

Not that I'm saying this IS the case, and you should definitely get your back looked at, but a lot of back problems in my experience are caused by being overweight and having a total lack of developed back muscles. Especially if you're one of those who spends most of their day sitting in a chair.

I keep thinking this. It has reached a point where I'm going to need it looked at. Certainly not doing intense exercise at the minute. I'm far too unfit for that, nevermind my back.

My missus (although no professional) reckons it could be a sciatic nerve. So it is something I need to get looked at

If it's your sciatic nerve then you tend to get pain in your legs spreading down from your hips, but losing weight and gaining muscle in your back tends to help. I Had a trapped sciatic nerve a few years back which led to me being unable to bend and had pain down my legs and numbness in my right foot. After going through physio I started doing my best to lose weight at the time and I was over 18 stone at the time.

• Paid Members
Not that I'm saying this IS the case, and you should definitely get your back looked at, but a lot of back problems in my experience are caused by being overweight and having a total lack of developed back muscles. Especially if you're one of those who spends most of their day sitting in a chair.

Yeah, this is exactly why I spent my Summer mornings doing YRG. I was waking up during the night with horrible back pain, but a few days of giving my back a proper stretch and I wasn't having nearly as much bother. I've been fine since, even when I've not really stretched much since October.

Of course, you may have something much worse than being a lazy knob like me.

Edited by ColinBollocks