Phil Everly Dies

EdgarTheSlouch

US musician Phil Everly, one half of the Everly Brothers, has died, aged 74, in California, his wife Patti says.

Everly died in the Los Angeles suburb of Burbank of complications from lung disease, Patti told the Los Angeles Times.

"We are absolutely heartbroken," she said, adding that the disease was the result of a lifetime of smoking.

Phil Everly and his brother Don made up the Everly Brothers, one of the biggest pop acts of the 1950s and early 1960s.

They had a string of close-harmony hits including Wake Up Little Suzie, Cathy's Clown, Bye Bye Love, and All I Have To Do Is Dream.

Rolling Stone magazine calls them "the most important vocal duo in rock".

The pair had an onstage breakup in 1973 that led to a decade-long estrangement, but Phil later told Time magazine the brothers' relationship had survived this.

"Don and I are infamous for our split," Phil said, "but we're closer than most brothers."

Wake Up Lil Susie

Let It Be Me

• Paid Members
Theres already a thread on Uncle Phil.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Sad day. I Love The Everly Brothers. You can't underestimate their influence on music in the late 50's (especially on Lennon & McCartney.) And they wrote cracking songs and sang awesome harmonies. Wake Up Lil' Susie is a particular favourite. That opening riff is awesome.

Theres already a thread on Uncle Phil.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Sad day. I Love The Everly Brothers. You can't underestimate their influence on music in the late 50's (especially on Lennon & McCartney.) And they wrote cracking songs and sang awesome harmonies. Wake Up Lil' Susie is a particular favourite. That opening riff is awesome.

Couldnt agree more. If yo u haven't already check out the Wings Of A Nightingale link I included - was written by McCartney trying to write in the Everly style.

• Paid Members

Big Everlys fan

the certanly had a great influence on the Beatles and more there Dad Ike was one of the great country guitar pickers and they started on the radio at a very early age

i saw them live at the Birmingham NIA in 2006 and they were great! really glad i got the opportunity to see them

couple of Everly links

BBC Arena documentry from the early 80's

Phil Everly the Air that i Breath origanal version

the Everlys Asleep from whistle down the wind soundtrack

Archived