Brit Wrestling are we on the up

knightmare

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Regarding the talent here I think it is so high it is untrue. Why do you think one of the best promotions in Europe like WXW have been bringing so many over and so many getting to Japan and America.

I have a lot of international talent work for myself but they all rave about how good the British talent is. I have people like Micheal Elgin messaging me asking to work people like Ligero and Haskins regulary.

Here is too an even better 2014 and hoping Paige wins the main womens belt in WWE.

On another side note , I am buzzing at Spud in TNA at the moment !

• Paid Members

Talent is unquestionably better than it ever has been. Better wrestling schools and WWE and TNA's willingness to hire UK based talent has opened up opportunities to people wanting to get into the business. There's still a mass reliance on imports, though. And the buzz in the UK threads are always about Tanahashi, AJ Styles, Bret Hart, fucking Riddick Bowe, Chris Masters, Jushin Liger, Kevin Steen and those types coming over. You look at some shows and wonder if they are coming over solely for the promoter to mark out because he's pissing in the same cubical as Rick Steiner. I think certain promotions need to cut back on the imports a bit just to test the waters to see if they can still draw with what they have. And because wrestling is a lie and all about presenting a perception, you dont know if these promotions are actually doing good business or if they are taking a loss just to put dream shows on to entertain themselves. We'll never actually know if wrestling is doing well, since there's no legit news coverage on the UK scene that doesn't have an agenda and bias towards it.

In terms of perception, it'll never beat WrestleXpress. Still the king. In terms of fans heads exploding in anticipation, its hard to beat 2001-2004. It was fucking nuts on here.

I think another possible issue with cutting back on imports is. The US stars have been or are seen on TV by casual fans so are held in I higher regard than equally talented uk wrestlers but when you see the uk stars performing with them and having great matches those uk stars are instantly elevated in the perception of casuals. This is where the UK scene is also getting it right big US stars are coming over not phoning it in and always coming out on top as seemed to be the case in the past, 1pw springs to mind. The only import I felt did this was Shelton Benjamin who gave Kirby very little.

OK, With getting people to attend UK To see UK Guys we decided to start at grass roots level. For a start i took down all the old pics in my gym of WOS Guys and put up all my WAW Champions so when our youngsters use the gym the guys they want to aspire to be are our own guys. We decided to stop trying to conquer the UK and concentrate on our own area. We started to run two academy shows a month and use them as a show window and run story lines for our bigger shows, its working they are packed fortnightly and we sell many tickets off the back of them. We use the local press all the time to put over our guys so we are forever in the public eye. Build up your local stars my son can sell 150-200 for every Norwich show because people want to see him because we put him in high profile matches. In one year we have gone from 400 sell outs to 800 on the back of people in this area now know our stars, our youth club has 60 members and have sold out shows every two months. in two years we have out grown our training facility and have to move, we have people coming from around the world to learn British style off us. if we put an import on the show its for an added extra not for a draw because i am confident my guys can draw for me, its also give my titles credibility Its very hard work but satisfying, i dont knock people who use imports, its there money, their choice, i just want to make my guys the stars and stand on our own two feet, so far its working.

The thing is though, if PCW draw 800 fans after spending 20k on imports - isn't drawing 400 and only spending 2k on British talent better profit wise? I think when you're bringing in multiple non wrestling imports to ring announce, manage, referee etc. you know you're over doing it...

• Paid Members

It's worth mentioning that PCW went for an import-free anniversary show last August and did just fine.

They've done well mixing the regulars, the regular imports (like Chris Masters) and the special attractions (like the Steiners) and the British guys are easily as valued by the live crowds from my experience. I'd go more often if it wasn't five hours away by train, so the Supershow weekends give me more reason to travel, but that's as much due to the standalone shows being on Fridays when I usually have to work as it is the names on the card.

Don't know if it was as low as that, but their fanbase is in the south and they experimented with a show in Castleford. With the forever hooligans being brought over, Cabana and Uhaa nation who were already in the country. Worth a try I'd be interested to hear how they promoted being based so far South.

Archived