Michael Schumacher 'critically injured' in Skiing Accident

Callum1993

• Paid Members
Yeah statistically he is the greatest, although I rank many drivers higher whether down to finding them more exciting on the track or as a personality. I'd put Senna, Prost, Mansell, Gilles and Niki Lauda above him purely on an entertainment/good driver level even if Schumacher was technically better

Out of those, I would say Senna and Prost are technically equal to Schumi, those are the only two I might rate above him. Gilles and Lauda I am not sure as its hard to compare eras, and there are parts of Lauda's career I am not a expert on.

Mansell? Have to disagree, even on a entertainment level, he has the charisma of Dean Malenko, and was a right moaner of epic proportions. I think the British Media have overrated him over the years.

Also, its all context as car performance and teammate comparisons differ in the routes Senna, Prost and Schumi took, which makes it even harder to determine who was the best.

Really! I said Mansell on the excitement of his drives, he could have some proper red mist bull with a red rag drives sometimes. I always thought his dour miserable attitude was part of his charm.

They are different era's for drivers but Gilles Villeneuve was stunning. Any youtube search will show how incredible he was. Not really a Schumacher style driver though.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really! I said Mansell on the excitement of his drives, he could have some proper red mist bull with a red rag drives sometimes. I always thought his dour miserable attitude was part of his charm.

Fair enough, he was quite exciting as a driver I concede. My dear old Father says that about Mansell that his dour attitude was his charm, but I am not a fan personally. Give me James Hunt for some real charm!

Its all perception though, rating drivers is very subjective as its hard to measure them directly.

Whatever the case, I do rate Schumi very highly and I did think he could be a exciting driver, watching his battle with Mika at Japan 2000 the other week reminded me of that. I also greatly enjoyed watching back his battle with Alonso at San Marino in 2005 or 2006 recently.

• Paid Members

Perception absolutely. I would say that about Hunt. He was good but nowhere near the level of his rival Lauda. Hunt was a super image though, he practically helped make F1 in a popularity stake in the 1970's. Especially over here. I've managed to track down most of the races from 1976. It's almost unreal the twists and turns in that season.

Archived