Watching Japanese Wrestling

1978kid

After reading the Powerslam 50 I am once again made aware that I have never seen many of the top wrestlers in action, because they are competing in Japanese promotions which I never get to see on TV.

Can people advise me of the best way of watching All Japan, New Japan and the other promotions whose wrestlers are so highly rated by Powerslam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gu72Ireiwg

Kawada/Tenryu v Hansen/Gordy

A late 80's heavtweight tag demonstrates the style that would develop in the 1990s but has a pretty clear story (someone get's the fuck kicked out of them) so quite accessible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_P6XAB7gY8...1622D69A4100E07

A playlist of Dynamite Kid v Tiger Mask matches that were again from the 80's but demonstrated the junior/cruiserweight style that would dominate in the 90s. So incredibly fun and barely believable how well they gel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmzsfA8nxN0

Sasuke/Tiger Mask/Shiryu vs Delphin/TAKA/Naniwa

Fast-paced multi-man tag from with lots of high flying, masks and a crab man (R.I.P).

Yes youtube is all you really need. I'm guessing the highly rated guys in PS are the current New Japan lot. Their latest event is here. You can find most of their major shows on the net if you look properly.

Otherwise, well, it's a case of trying things out and seeing what you like. You may find a promotion or style or era you prefer. I think them Tiger Mask/Dynamite Kid matches are awful but 80-90s All Japan is some of the best wrestling I've seen. Some people think current New Japan is great.

But really, there's no magical access point into enjoying Japanese wrestling, unfortunately. I could pimp the classic matches that people always get wet over - Misawa & Akiyama v Kawada & Taue 12/06/96, Tsuruta v Tenryu 06/05/89, Hansen vs Kobashi 07/29/93, Hokuto v Kandori 04/02/93 etc - and they might leave you cold. They did when I first watched them. Now they're some of my favourite matches ever. It's more of a slow burning thing. It's all about understanding the big picture. I got into classic All Japan by watching a set of the matches in chronological order. It was then I got a grasp of the history, the evolution of the wrestlers, and the feuds and stories they were telling in ring.

I've started putting together playlists of the famous 1990s All Japan (and some joshi) if anyone's interested. http://www.youtube.com/user/Mrbutternutsqu...1&flow=grid

Or you might just think it's all shite.

Youtube is yesterdays news in puroland. The TV stations are getting it taken down quicker than they used to. There's still some that gets put up and plenty of older stuff but new puro is found at Dailymotion.

The main two are Senor LARIATO & JAHMAL

Edit: A few others

Biggest Japan tons of recent Big Japan

Dimitri Shumakov

PuroresuMatches No longer updated but some 2013

FLIK510 for old time joshi fans

BJW Movie Big Japan's own channel, up skits and house show matches.

ProWrestlingAARK Lots of Noah old and new

StrongStyleJapan some full show old & new

DoubleMiz more old joshi

MuttonAndTheHam death matches old and new

newpurofun more old full shows

Buy Wrestle Kingdom 8 a week Saturday on ustream.tv. Great quality, live legal stream of the biggest show of the year. You almost certainly won't regret the purchase.

Is there English commentary on these streams? I always struggle to stay focussed when wrestling has no commentary, or just Japanese.

All in Japanese. But the quality of the action and the charisma of the guys is enough to break through the language barrier once you get used to it.

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time and trouble to reply. I realised that after reading about this stuff I need to actually get round to watching it. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions which I will follow up on. Happy Christmas everyone

Buy Wrestle Kingdom 8 a week Saturday on ustream.tv. Great quality, live legal stream of the biggest show of the year. You almost certainly won't regret the purchase.

Is there English commentary on these streams? I always struggle to stay focussed when wrestling has no commentary, or just Japanese.

All in Japanese. But the quality of the action and the charisma of the guys is enough to break through the language barrier once you get used to it.

Thanks. That's not ideal for me but I have heard great things about their shows throughout 2013, so I should probably give it a go.

Archived