Guess who's back?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Former WWE World champion Batista is advertised for the 2/16/14 WWE event in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Thomas & Mack Center via both radio ads and internet advertising.

In speaking to WWE sources this evening, they confirmed he was expected back (one source believed at the Royal Rumble as a surprise) and that the advertising was released prematurely, spoiling a planned surprise.

Batista had been talking to Triple H about a return at least as far back as last Spring, according to sources, but his acting schedule (he has a big part in Marvel's Guardians of The Galaxy) prevented him from doing anything.

Batista has long talked of wanting to come back for one final WWE run, as opposed to just coming back to do one big match. He quit the company in 2010, completely unhappy with the PG type of programming the company was producing at the time.

One of the sources we spoke with tonight believed Batista would be working with the company until he was needed to do promotional work for "Guardians", which is slated for a 8/1/14 theatrical release.

PWInsider

They must fuck that Undertaker vs Brock match off now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd probably have Batista vs Orton for the title at WrestleMania. The storyline fits, with them both being groomed for greatness by Triple H, and it stops Orton from being a spare part on the night.

They might as well do a "Batista returns at the Rumble" video on Raw on Monday now.

• Paid Members

You could do Batista winning the Rumble and Orton is going to WrestleMania as champion if you want to do that I suppose. There's always an odd man out when I think of Mania this year. I'm now thinking Orton vs Batista, HHH vs Punk, Michaels vs Bryan and Lesnar vs Taker. Still dont know what you do with Cena. Unless they are doing the Shield vs Cena and Hogan (where Hogan does as much in the match as he's going to do as a host). Cena's fell into that thing that he did at WrestleMania 25. Where there isn't a match big enough for him. He's wrestled everyone. Maybe put Sheamus in there with Hogan and Cena, so Hogan can do even less.

They might as well do a "Batista returns at the Rumble" video on Raw on Monday now.

I agree. Cat's out of the bag, in the Internet age I'd be surprised if anyone attending the Rumble wouldn't know about Batista returning by Rumble time. Bit daft to go the "surprise entrant" angle when everyone in the arena will be chanting for Batista. Get some extra buys and give a PPV an extra selling point. WWE have some serious work to do with how bad the last few PPVs have been received (okay, TLC was decent). I think WWE believes the Rumble and Wrestlemania names will sell themselves. Unfortunately, they may be right.

Anyway, unnecessary tangent aside, looking forward to having Big Dave back. He was at his absolute peak as an all around performer when he up and left.

Although...

He quit the company in 2010, completely unhappy with the PG type of programming the company was producing at the time.

This hasn't really changed, has it? Ah well, money~

Not surprised about Batista coming back, but it's good news. Was hoping for a surprise return but...well, I've spoilt it for myself. He was the one I thought was most likely to return for Mania out of all of the names banded about. Hopefully him vs. Orton as I have no interest in other Orton matches. I'd like Batista to return on a part-time basis like Lesnar.

When you say about fucking Lesnar vs. Taker off, were you thinking Batista vs. Lesnar? In regards to Batista being unhappy with the PG product, it's ironic that some of his best work was within those parameters as the big cry baby.

If I was them I would definitely not mention anything about Batista at all, then the night of the Rumble comes and number 30th is Batista and he goes in destroys what's left in the ring and wins the Rumble. That would be awesome.

We already know he's returning due to reading it on here but I know a lot of guys who are casual viewers and wouldn't have heard this. Obviously they love the Rumble so they'll be watching that and imagine their reaction if he came in at number 30 and won it. They need to do something like this to capitalise the fact that the casuals all tune in for the Rumble and doing this would not only interest them and keep them watching, it would also make a lot of regular viewers happy and interest them too.

• Paid Members

Problem is that it CAN be spoiled for the casuals by the more vocal internet fans who have a tendency to chant names of returners (to show they're in the know) at shows.

Whilst I like the idea of Orton vs. Batista, I really, REALLY want to see Batista vs. Lesnar. It was the one so many wanted to see back in the day, too.

This is an awesome thing! Very excited for WrestleMania now.

I know it's all about the guys in the ring but I imagine Triple H manhandling Batista's return would pretty much guarantee any potential match with Lesnar would not become a tenth anniversary of the Goldberg fiasco.

Archived