WWE Tables, Ladders and Chairs PPV

Doog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was discussing this with a friend and he was saying that why did not one but two three on one handicap matches take place on a PPV? Should this type of match not take place on an episode of Raw to build toward a PPV match than actually being a PPV match in itself?

Like for example if Daniel Bryan beat The Wyatt's on Raw in a three on one handicap match on raw he would get a title shot?

It just seemed like the two handicap matches were booked to get people on a show rather than it make any proper logical booking sense to build towards the new year.

In a way I do agree with you here but usually if this sort of match is on Raw it would be the Champion and Challenger being in a big feud, the Champion is a heel and has a stable or there's a heel stable which he can rely on. So he has the Challenger face them and if the Challenger wins he gets a shot but everyone (well the wrestlers, not the fans) expects him to lose, just for him to overcome the odds and win, thus gaining the shot. So really the stable have no sort of feud with the wrestler.

In these feuds though both Punk and Bryan have being in a feud against the stables, both together, helping each other out but also it is easy to see that Punk is more focused on The Shield and Bryan on The Wyatts.

The Shield are looking to be splitting soon and this match at TLC helped to plant more seeds to go towards this whilst also helping to push Punk with a big win against a dangerous group. Then Bryan has been in a story surrounding Bray Wyatt trying to get him to join their group, by having them defeat Bryan and have Bray cradle him in his lap it makes The Wyatts look like a strong force to be reckoned with and also makes it seem Bray is continuing trying to get Bryan into his Family.

Very average show, so much that I'm not even keeping the torrent I got last night. That said, an "average" PPV in late 2013 is worthy of dancing in the streets about in comparison to the rest, the bar has been set so low.

Good tag title match, you know with the Rhodes bros that you're getting a quality bout, and Rey worked well. Too bad it was likely a one-off deal to give Rey more ring time in a safe environment, Rhodes vs. Mysterio/Show would be a good match at the Rumble. There's an inbuilt story of Show knocking out Dusty recently too.

The handicap matches were well done. Punk needed a decent PPV win after dealing with scrubs like Rybaxel and the Wyatts for months, and the Wyatts needed to not look like scrubs.

The TLC match was... okay I guess? It seemed to drag, and for a 20 minute gimmick match, that's not a good feeling. You'd hope that a clean, no-nonsense ending would represent a bit of a reset going into Wrestlemania season, but the biggest point from the Raw preview was something like, "How will The Authority test Orton?" Who gives a fuck?

The thing is with Pay Per Views it's easy to get yourself hyped thinking many scenarios may happen but the fact of the matter is it probably wont. I thought the event was overall very average with the match of the night being the Four Way Tag. The handicap matches were both good but I couldn't help but think the booking was abit shit. I thought the Main Event wasn't too great either but I really liked Orton's performance, he came across pretty brutal and desperate throughout the match. Overall not much substance to advance going into WrestleMania.

Also The Miz Vs Kofi is such a waste. Kofi's never impressed but I've got a massive soft spot for The Miz. I just wish he was doing more than being the new Dolph Ziggler.

The worst part is thinking each week we have a 3 hour Raw, 2 Hour Smackdown, 1 Hour Superstars, 1 Hour Main Event and various YouTube/WWE App material and nothing seems to happen/develop for 90% of the time.

Was discussing this with a friend and he was saying that why did not one but two three on one handicap matches take place on a PPV? Should this type of match not take place on an episode of Raw to build toward a PPV match than actually being a PPV match in itself?

Like for example if Daniel Bryan beat The Wyatt's on Raw in a three on one handicap match on raw he would get a title shot?

It just seemed like the two handicap matches were booked to get people on a show rather than it make any proper logical booking sense to build towards the new year.

In a way I do agree with you here but usually if this sort of match is on Raw it would be the Champion and Challenger being in a big feud, the Champion is a heel and has a stable or there's a heel stable which he can rely on. So he has the Challenger face them and if the Challenger wins he gets a shot but everyone (well the wrestlers, not the fans) expects him to lose, just for him to overcome the odds and win, thus gaining the shot. So really the stable have no sort of feud with the wrestler.

In these feuds though both Punk and Bryan have being in a feud against the stables, both together, helping each other out but also it is easy to see that Punk is more focused on The Shield and Bryan on The Wyatts.

The Shield are looking to be splitting soon and this match at TLC helped to plant more seeds to go towards this whilst also helping to push Punk with a big win against a dangerous group. Then Bryan has been in a story surrounding Bray Wyatt trying to get him to join their group, by having them defeat Bryan and have Bray cradle him in his lap it makes The Wyatts look like a strong force to be reckoned with and also makes it seem Bray is continuing trying to get Bryan into his Family.

I think the booking is fine of these two matches. I'm thinking its all part of a bigger story leading to a Punk/Bryan match. They tagged on the last PPV, they were involved in simular matches at TLC in which one of them won and one lost. I think they will eventually try out-doing each other when the jelousy kicks in. I'm not sure if either of them wuill turn heel though, well not before Mania anyway.

I enjoyed the PPV. The main event was a fun gimmick brawl. The two handicap matches were both interesting enough in their own right and the four-way tag was great. Miz-Kofi was probably the most interesting match they'll ever have and I even enjoyed the IC title match. Brodus-Truth had no place on PPV, even though it facilitated the Brodus heel turn, but that's such a confusing angle anyway. Woods stole Brodus' entrance, surely he's a heel? He looks like one, because he just looks like a gormless smackable cunt to me. Why is Brodus the heel here?

I will say, they did a really good job of smacking you over the head with just how important the unification match was. They had guys like Terry Funk tweeting their thoughts on this match! Really had this huge "big match" atmosphere to it.

All in all, a fun distraction.

• Paid Members
Woods stole Brodus' entrance, surely he's a heel? He looks like one, because he just looks like a gormless smackable cunt to me. Why is Brodus the heel here?
Because he didn't steal it, he was offered it (the girls apparently come with) and then brodus got jealous that he was better at it. It's dumb, but that's the explanation.

Finally watched the PPV. Not a lot to say really, the whole thing was pretty average. Not terrible, but nothing that really stood out. Props to WWE for giving us a clean finish to the main event. But there is one thing that annoyed me throughout the TLC match.. The belts being rigged so they couldn't be taken off the hoop they hung from. Was this explained prior to the match? I missed the last 2 episode of Raw. Watching the match and seeing both belts had 2 'bolts' going through the strap to ensure they wouldn't come down, and so Cena could swing from one of them, is all fine and well. But it looks dumb when they're grabbing at the belts throughout the match rather than going for the loop like Orton did at the end to win. If this was explained before the PPV, what was the explanation?

A fun show to close out the year. Not a great show by any means, but still better than recent efforts have been:

* Punk v Shield - whilst I thought that The Shield would get the win here, the way that they executed it worked for me and didn't do any damage to them by being beaten despite having the odds in their favour. Couldn't see where Roman was supposed to have injured his eye, but there did seem to be some swelling which lead me to believe it wasn't a work and that they had to finish out the match with Ambrose and Rollins carrying the brunt of what Reigns should have been doing until they could get to the finish, which I'm sure would have been the same eye injury or not. With the eye injury it just adds to Shied's inevitable breakup and it gets Reign's spear over a little more as it put down the US champion.

* AJ v Natalya - its the women's match, which means that my mind can wander for a few minutes. Was sure that AJ was dropping the title after her supposed bitch-fit at the Tribute To The Troops taping but looks like they're holding off that for the time being. AJ is such a fucking annoying character though. She made this big thing about a wrestler and not a Diva earlier this year, yet now shes pissed that didn't win the Diva of The Year Slammy? Surely if you were a wrestler and no a diva you wouldn't care less about winning a slammy for Diva Of The Year, would you?

* Tag Team Title Fatal Four Way - Did they mention that this was an elimination match beforehand? Because when the first pin came I thought it was over after only a few minutes. Really wish they'd pull the trigger on the Real Americans though. They work great together (those matching jackets were cool too) and get a decent reaction. I'm suprised that Zeb Coulter is still around too, I thought he'd have been around a couple of months tops, but hes always enjoyable without taking attention from the match. Also, for some reason, does anyone see Big Show turning on Mysterio at some point. Have the ever had a feud, could be an interesting big man v small dynamic (assuming Mysterio doesn't injury something else).

* Truth vs. Brodus Clay - should never have been on a PPV event. And now that Tensai has left what awaits him? Can't see him putting on his Great Muta gear again, but they've got to do something with him as he supposed on $400k a year, which alot to pay someone to do fuck all

* Miz v Kingston - did this need a No DQ stipulation? Other than removing the turnbuckle (which happens in normal matches all the time anyway) was there anything to suggest this was No DQ rules? And christ Kofi, those thights! Even Randy Savage would say they were too bright

* Wyatts v Daniel Bryan - very enjoyable match. As I've said recently, I'm enjoying Eric Rowan more and more and Luke Harper is solid in ring also. Bray plays the madman very well, I just wish he'd stop doing that spiderwalk thing, its just daft. Has Brie Bella shown any concern for her fiance at any point in this feud? Don't remember seeing her at all, and you could get a decent segment out of Bray taking her hostage for Bryan to play the white knight.

* Cena v Orton - Considering how they only had a few weeks to build this up, they did make it sound like a big deal. Sure they totally re-wrote the history of the World Heavyweight Title but so what. HHH naming all the greats who had held it made it sound prestigious. Lets not mention that we already unified that title with the WWE in 2001 (Chris Jeriwho?). They had to pretend that that hadnt happened, seen as Sheamus is the 5th most successful WHC since its inception in 2002.

All that aside, it was a fun brawl and was fun to see Cena faceplant the table at the end. Still wish he's learn to call spots at a believeable volume, the guy in block 213 only just heard him tell Orton to hit a dropkick. And not to get all Fin Martin about it, but when he was cuffed on the outside and Orton hit him in the stomach with the ladder, he just stood there as if nothing happened. Drop to your knees for a few seconds, act as if your struggling to breathe, just do something to sell it.

Like I say, not great, but at least it was still better than Battleground or even Survivor Series. And I honestly don't have a clue who is likely to win the Royal Rumble. usually by this time, you have a decent idea of a couple of guys, but right now, its open for everyone. I think they may go with Bryan just because he is so over with the crowd, as you could hear last night. I know alot of internet fans on newsites forums have come up with ways to get the title onto Punk so they can have their Bryan v Punk at WM30 for the title dream, but thats not happening.

I expect Cena will get somekind of rematch at Royal Rumble more out of necessity as I don't know who else to book Orton against in the title match as a viable contender, not to mention another 4 guys at Elimination Chamber come February. Saying that Santino was in it the other year, so you can pretty much put anyone in there

• Awards Moderator

I'm assuming Foley has created a new meme with "Way Bryatt".

The show was a mixed bag; the tag was good and the top level of the division is very promising for a tagtastic 2014. Both handicap matches were difficult to justify for the show but entertained in very different ways. I think everyone came out strong so job done I guess as long as you weren't looking for a story to move forward.

The main then didn't quite deliver - is there any more that can be done with TLC? The handcuffs were a nice spot and decent callback but ultimately anticlimatic.

• Paid Members
Also, for some reason, does anyone see Big Show turning on Mysterio at some point. Have the ever had a feud, could be an interesting big man v small dynamic (assuming Mysterio doesn't injury something else).

Yes, loads of times.

This was the highlight:

Also, for some reason, does anyone see Big Show turning on Mysterio at some point. Have the ever had a feud, could be an interesting big man v small dynamic (assuming Mysterio doesn't injury something else).

Yes, loads of times.

This was the highlight:

Ah yes, its all coming back to me now.

Archived