UKFF Top 50 Games 2013: Results

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

UKFF TOP 50 GAMES 2013

Oh hell yeah! It's the 2013 UKFF Top 50 Games rundown as voted by us, the great unwashed wrestling fans. Some proper movers and shakers from the last time I did this in 2009, which goes to show how interesting the last few years have been.

This rundown from 50 to 1 will culminate in a great UKFF tradition which has lain dormant for a few years.

The top 50 will be spoilerized here as they are revealed on the first post so you can see the list all in one place.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

50. Rock Band 3

49. Pro Evolution Soccer 4

48. Civilisation 2

47. Bioshock

46. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

45. Portal 2

44. Mass Effect 2

43. Hitman: Blood Money

42. Tetris

41. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

40. Outrun

39. Max Payne

38. Final Fantasy IX

37. Donkey Kong Country 2

36. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

35. Jak and Daxter

34. Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater

33. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

32. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

31. Silent Hill 2

30. Street Fighter IV

29. Streets of Rage

28. Street Fighter II

27. GoldenEye 007

26. Grand Theft Auto IV

25. World of Warcraft

24. Half Life 2

23. No Mercy 64

22. Pokemon Red & Blue

21. Super Mario 64

20. Beatles Rock Band

19. Sensible World of Soccer

18. The Last of Us

17. Batman: Arkham City

16. Portal

15. Walking Dead

14. Bioshock Infinite

13. Metal Gear Solid

12. Championship Manager 2001/2002

11. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

10. Batman: Arkham Asylum

9. WWE SmackDown! Here Comes The Pain

8. Streets of Rage 2

7. Sonic The Hedgehog 2

6. Fallout 3

5. GTA: Vice City

4. Red Dead Redemption

3. GTA: San Andreas

2. Skyrim

1. GTAV

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Let's GO!

50. Rock Band 3

(Format: multi, 2009 Position: NR, Metacritic: 93)

imgrock%20band%2032.jpg

Critics say:

"You know how this works. You and your buddies are part of a band. Someone sings. Someone plays guitar. You've got a drummer. Everyone hits the right notes at the right time, you score points, you become rock Gods. No big." - IGN

rock-band-3-splash.jpg

UKFF says:

Nothing, apparently.

Onyx2 says:

I love plastic instrument games. To introduce drums, keys and vocals into it was inevitable but brilliant. Get four people round and there's no better party game. For me it recalls one Christmas with a revolving door of people coming round and each picking up a stick, or an axe and joining in.

49. Pro Evolution Soccer 4

(Format: multi, 2009 Position: NR, Metacritic: NR)

pes4pic4.jpg

Critics say:

"We may enjoy games like Tiger Woods, NHL and Virtua Tennis, but in most cases we're just in love with the mechanics. Even FIFA. Beat someone at that and you might celebrate and goad them about it, but when we score a goal in PES4, we do, even if it's just for a split second, feel like we've really put one past the other team. On a football pitch. It's suspension of disbelief. It's also proof more than anything that PES4 was designed by football brains for football brains." - Eurogamer

pro-evolution-soccer-2.jpg

UKFF says:

"I bought this game 3 times. I think I played it so much I was damaging the discs! PES 2013 was excellent but for me nothing beats the enjoyment of PES 4."

Onyx2 says:

Little comment here from me on a football game I'm afraid.

48. Civilization 2

(Format: PC, 2009 Position: NR, Metacritic: 94)

Screenshot2.gif

Critics say:

"GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING : IF YOU CHOOSE TO GO BEYOND THIS POINT WITH THIS GAME, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT POSSESS THE FOLLOWING ITEMS. A PARTNER, A JOB, A THESIS TO WRITE, AN APPETITE, A WILL TO LIVE OR SOMETHING BETTER TO DO." - Assemblage

civilisation_2.jpg

UKFF says:

Nothing, apparently.

Onyx2 says:

I like Civ games, but have always skirted around the otuside for fear of being sucked into my doom.

47. Bioshock

(Format: multi, 2009 Position: NR, Metacritic: 94)

Rapture5.png

Critics say:

"BioShock is to the FPS genre what Super Mario 64 was to platformers, what Chrono Trigger was to RPGs -- such a drastic leap forward that you wonder if it will ever be topped. Whether it will or won't be is largely irrelevant; what matters is that, after BioShock, the first-person shooter will never be the same." - Destructoid

Bioshock-little-sister.jpg

UKFF says:

Nothing, apparently.

Onyx2 says:

I wanted to like Bioshock so much, I really did. I like the story a lot, and it looked the business. But it was a boring play, I think I was hoping for more RPG elements. I applaud the attempt to push the genre under a mainstream guise.

46. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

(Format: Sega Master System, 2009 Position: NR, Metacritic: NR)

alex-kidd-in-miracle-world_01.jpg

Critics say:

"This game alone improved my swearing vocabulary by some 500% (and I was only ten when it came out)

• Paid Members

Fuck, Bioshock's way too low. A real game-changer in terms of how good a narrative can be done in gaming and one of the most immersive worlds ever created. That twist will always stand out as the biggest "WHAT THE FUCK?! NO WAY!" moment I ever had playing a game.

It was the first thing I played on my 360 that truly made the console feel next-gen as well. I remember sitting still for a few minutes at the start of the game, just floating in the water, waiting for the cutscene to end, before I realised I could move about and the game actually looked that good! Jaw-dropping.

• Awards Moderator
It was the first thing I played on my 360 that truly made the console feel next-gen as well. I remember sitting still for a few minutes at the start of the game, just floating in the water, waiting for the cutscene to end, before I realised I could move about and the game actually looked that good! Jaw-dropping.

Yeah that intro is one of the best ways to start a game. So mysterious!

• Paid Members

It's a bit weird having the first post updated all the time rather than fresh posts for new entries, because it doesn't bump the thread and when you're scanning the forum you can't see when the list has been updated. I'd do it the traditional way to be honest.

Alex Kidd? I can understand why some people may have a sentimental attachment to it (it was the first console game I ever played, being the built-in game on my Master System II), but let's be honest, it really is pretty shit.

• Awards Moderator
It's a bit weird having the first post updated all the time rather than fresh posts for new entries, because it doesn't bump the thread and when you're scanning the forum you can't see when the list has been updated. I'd do it the traditional way to be honest.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Let me clarify: I'm updating the spoilery list on OP, but each new entry is a new post. Because I posted 6 times in a row the board smooshed them into one post. Future ones will be the next post in the thread.

Alex Kidd? I can understand why some people may have a sentimental attachment to it (it was the first console game I ever played, being the built-in game on my Master System II), but let's be honest, it really is pretty shit.

Yeah it's garbage.

The problem I had with Bioshock is that I thought it would be the next Deus Ex or System Shock, but boy, was I wrong. Too much hand holding my taste, I never once felt like it was my story that I was travelling through.

I probably would have enjoyed it more if I went into it without putting it on such a high pedestal before even playing it but still, it's never the game many people make it out to be.

I'm glad I'm not alone on being disappointed with Bioshock, probably because it had been praised so much by everyone at the time. When you faced a boss, if you died you went back to your chamber but the boss still had their life depleted from when you last attacked them if I remember correctly. I remember wondering what the incentive to stay alive and take them out first time was.

Just a heads up, the years all say 2009 for the games at the moment.

• Paid Members

Nice work so far Onyx, the metacritic score is a nice touch. That second Alex Kidd isn't from Miracle World, just to be a cunt. Might be from lost stars? Weird thing is that although it was pretty shit and incredibly inferior compared to Mario, Sonic or even Micky Mouse, I still find myself playing it at least once a year.

• Moderators

Glad Civ 2 made the list this time! Yeah! Sorry no write ups from my list this time... did it in a bit of a hurry..

That game was amazing though. I've played other Civ games since, and done have been very good and others not as great. But this was the first and myself, my brother and my dad all got totally addicted to it when my aunt got it for free with a new pc.

Nice work so far Onyx, the metacritic score is a nice touch. That second Alex Kidd isn't from Miracle World, just to be a cunt. Might be from lost stars? Weird thing is that although it was pretty shit and incredibly inferior compared to Mario, Sonic or even Micky Mouse, I still find myself playing it at least once a year.

Alex Kidd and The Enchanted Castle, that 2nd picture, looks like I think

Shinobi World is by far the best of the Alex Kidd series, though, really great game

Archived