TUF: Team Canada vs Team Australia Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I found the first episode a chore at times. Adding in to it that Cote & Noke are bland as fuck, it doesn't make for much entertainment viewing-wise.

This was kind of my fear with this TUF. I actually quite like Cote, seems a good guy. He was fun at times on TUF 4 but he had the benefit of bigger personalities to play off like Serra and Shonie. But I find Noke so dull from bits I've seen, he makes Shane Carwin look like Conor McGregor. If Cote was paired with a real dickhead this could probably have a bit of a Smashes vibe. But there's no Aussie dickheads at 170. Maybe they should've re-hired G-Sot and had him move up to welterweight ;) Noke is probably a good guy, but like JDS, he's not really cut out for a show like TUF. Difference was, at least JDS was a top guy. He was on the cusp of title contention. Noke is just there. Even the eventual Cote vs Noke feels like a prelim.

I don't know. Maybe the fights will be good but if it's just good fights then I'm already getting that fix with all the cards now. I can't see me watching this. If it somehow winds up on BT Sport I might have a gander but I doubt I'll stick with it. Probably just wait for the Penn vs Edgar and Chael vs Wandy seasons now.

Take China for example. Surely the average Chinese bloke isn't 185. You'd think they'd be able to assemble a cast solely of 125/135lbers for that. Yet they're doing TUF China with 145/170. 170 again. When they really crack Asia and Mexico I think we'll start to get an influx of talent in the smaller weight classes.

I haven't seen it but, TUF Contestants tend to be undersized, so I'm guessing it's basically one tournament of welter/lightweights and one of Feather/Bantamweights

The UFC may need more flyweights, but there's just not that many at the elite level.

Which begs the question, why introduce the division. If there wasn't enough depth, why not hold off until all the little Mexican and Chinese fighters come through? Like I say, it should pick up in the next 2-3 years.

It was an investment in future, the division will grow a lot faster if there is the possibility of UFC fame and fortune available, and when this great mexican fighter comes along it will mean a lot more when he beats established top guys instead of unknowns.

What is TUF like these days? I haven't watched a full series since the format seemed to become very fight heavy, around the Rampage/Griffin series.

Much preferred the old format where the bulk of a show would be mostly 'reality TV'/fight build up. Where it felt like loads of effort had been put into getting to know the fighters before you actually saw them fight. It probably emphasised the sideshow aspect over the sporting one, but it was much more entertaining.

• Paid Members
What is TUF like these days? I haven't watched a full series since the format seemed to become very fight heavy, around the Rampage/Griffin series.

Much preferred the old format where the bulk of a show would be mostly 'reality TV'/fight build up. Where it felt like loads of effort had been put into getting to know the fighters before you actually saw them fight. It probably emphasised the sideshow aspect over the sporting one, but it was much more entertaining.

I've said it before but I think the addition of the elimination fights to get into the house harmed the reality TV aspect of TUF. And it's no coincidence that that started with TUF 7.

Before that, they'd whittle it down to 16 guys and episode 1 would start with the fighters entering the house/gym and us getting to know them right away. You'd immediately get an idea of who were the twats, the good guys, the characters, the weak links, the slackers etc.

When they introduced the elimination fights that stripped that away. Then you'd sit down for episode 1 and be met with wall to wall fights between guys you've never heard of. I don't know about anyone else but I find the sound of a gym full of non-stop shoutiness really jarring to watch over a long period as well. It's different in a normal episode where you'll get 35 minutes of in house stuff then a fight. The shoutiness doesn't bother me for 15 minutes or whatever. But those elimination fight episodes it's just incessant. A whole hour, sometimes more, of a gym full of blokes shouting "LOW KICK, LOW KICK, THROW THE JAB, JAB. NICE JOHNNY, NICE. WOOOOOH. WOOOOH. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT." Or if Tito was there - "UPUPUPUPUPUPUPUPUP". I find an hour of that makes for awful television.

I get why they added the elimination fights. If you look at the first 6 seasons there were a lot of posers and timewasting pussies on there. Like Noah on TUF 3 - the guy who packed his bags and left because he missed his girlfriend. Who he'd been with for about 4 WEEKS! Or Joey Scarola on TUF 6 - Matt Serra's protege who also left for a girl. Or that big fucker off TUF 2 who's name I can't remember - he left because he didn't like the cameras. He didn't expect there to be cameras on a reality TV show. Then there were the guys who you just thought 'how did he get on the show?' like Jason 'Strangebrew' Thacker (TUF 1) or Wayne Weems (TUF 5). They clearly weren't up to it. So I get it. They started the elimination fights to weed out the weak and find real fighters. The show's ultimate goal is to find quality fighters.

But at the same time it's still a reality TV show. There has to be some talking points other than just watching blokes train, cut weight, fight, train, cut weight, fight. If it's just the fights you want then there's 40 odd shows a year now. With guys you've actually heard of, in front of real crowds, with commentators and everything. If it's solely fights you want then there's not that much reason to be arsed about TUF.

Personally I liked those weak link guys getting on there. Some of my favourite TUF memories involve them guys. Strangebrew on TUF 1, everyone ripping the piss out of pussy-whipped Noah on TUF 3, BJ Penn screaming at Andy Wang to take fuckers down and being ignored on TUF 5, Darrell 'Titties' Schoonover on TUF 10, Gabe Ruediger failing to make weight and pretending he was dying in the sauna on TUF 5, Freakshow on the Smashes.

If those seasons had elimination fights we'd have missed a lot of that stuff. Chances are guys like Brew, Weems and Wang would've been beat before reaching the house. Maybe Ruediger and Freakshow as well. You wonder how many classic TUF moments we've missed out on over the years because of the elimination fights.

Surely a show like TUF needs to hit the ground running. You don't want to be bombarded with 60 or 90 minutes of fighters you don't know fighting in fights you don't really care about right from the off. The Smashes hit the ground running. The lack of elimination fights meant we got some characters in there who might have been eliminated in episode 1 on other TUFs, plus we immediately started getting to know all the fighters, that way by the time they did fight everyone gave a shit who won.

TUF is stale these days. Whatever they do the glory days are over. They've pretty much milked that cow dry by knocking out more and more seasons every year to the point a lot of people are just sick of it now. Whatever new lick of paint they throw on it, it's still an MMA reality show at the end of it and there's only so many twists you can do with that. But getting rid of the elimination fights would help I reckon. Won't change TUF drastically but the way they're doing it now, starting off with a load of fights, just creates apathy. I remember years ago, episode 1 of TUF would be a big talking point. People would be talking about who they liked or hated after it finished and they'd show that season preview at the end and you'd be excited about next week. Now there's nothing. You get to the end of episode 1 and you can barely remember what you just saw. Just a vague, hazy recollection of some KOs, some submissions, some boring fights, usually a few mohawks and an array or horrendous tattoos on display, Dana moaning about something. But it all blends together. I hardly remember anyone's name after or what the fuck happened. It's like you've just watched one of them videos on YouTube of kids falling off bikes and skateboards, but for 60 or 90 minutes instead of 3. After a bit it all mushes together in your brain to the point you stop giving a fuck.

I'm at the point with TUF now where its pretty much just the coach pairings that will get me interested. Penn/Edgar and Chael/Wanderlei - yes. Cote/Noke and TUF China - no thanks.

• Paid Members

seems im in the minority but i really enjoyed episode 1, i always find the Nation vs. Nation concept adds a little more spice to the teams, makes it feel like the guys are fighting for something else other than themselves and they take a lot more pride in what they are representing. Seems to be a few characters in there to make for some interesting TV too, especially the Aussie GG Allin lookalike who looks like he might be a little bit insane.

Was pleasantly surprised that i knew a few of the Canadian guys from my MFC watching days, few of those guys were regulars on them shows including Cajun Johnson, Luke Harris and Sheldon Westcott.

Not quite sure i agreed with Kyle Noke's pre-fight assessment of Cajun Johnson by going from his 19-10 record (a quick google search shows the guy is 13-2-1 since 2004 though). They played it off like they all thought Johnson would underestimate O'Reilly but it came across like it was the other way around and the experience seemed to be the overwhelming factor in the fight.

As for the general TUF format, its tried and tested, i'd like to see a few extra twists in there but for a 40 minute show that airs once a week it's easy entertainment. The weird thing is years back MMA fans created such a fuss about the drama in the house and how having a fighters in there like Junie Browning was harming the sport, but even since they've kind of toned that back and focused more on the actual fighting aspect of the show it hasn't been as good and now people complain that it's stale....personally i thought the Browning season was the best in the shows history, that was must see TV for me :)

...and yeh, i never liked the elimination process either.

• Paid Members
The weird thing is years back MMA fans created such a fuss about the drama in the house and how having a fighters in there like Junie Browning was harming the sport, but even since they've kind of toned that back and focused more on the actual fighting aspect of the show it hasn't been as good and now people complain that it's stale....personally i thought the Browning season was the best in the shows history, that was must see TV for me :)

TUF 8 was brilliant. Junie was maybe the biggest cunt ever to walk through TUF's flimsy doors, but it made for great TV. The episode where he finally got his comeuppance from Efrain was tremendous. Everyone watching that series was dying to see Junie catch a beating and that Efrain fight was the reward. Junie getting a pork chop chucked off his head was a highlight as well.

All the best TUFs had either a massive twat, big characters or a great coach rivalry. And TUF 8 had a mix of everything. The contrast between Mir's twattiness and Nog's super likeability was a big part of it, then you had Junie being a wanker, Shane Nelson and Dave Kaplan being secondary wankers, weird fuckers like Tom Lawlor and Kyle Kingsbury in the house. And of course, Al Stankie. I might just start watching that again instead of this Cote-Noke one actually.

• Paid Members

decent second episode, i think Elias could be a solid pick for the whole thing. I found myself wanting to hate on the guy but he seems to have that likeable kind of arrogance. Model, fighter, stuntman, actor...what a bastard!

• Paid Members

well it's 3-0 to Canada but it was a hell of a fight this week, cracking lil 2 round slugfest.

Im getting behind Team Oz and im hoping they can make some kind of a fight of it (i know they win at least 1 fight from the show preview), but it's looking pretty bleak. Next week's fight looks to be a barnburner though Nordine vs. GG Allin. Two of bigger characters in the house, it's gonna be good.

• Paid Members
UFC UK just stated that they will have news regarding this series of TUF shortly on their twitter account. I'm guessing they perhaps will have a UK coverage update.

What was the news?

Nothing yet announced unfortunately.

well it's 3-0 to Canada but it was a hell of a fight this week, cracking lil 2 round slugfest.

Im getting behind Team Oz and im hoping they can make some kind of a fight of it (i know they win at least 1 fight from the show preview), but it's looking pretty bleak. Next week's fight looks to be a barnburner though Nordine vs. GG Allin. Two of bigger characters in the house, it's gonna be good.

Australia seem to be getting hammered, don't they? As you say, hopefully they can get at least a few wins on the board.

Archived