TUF: Team Canada vs Team Australia Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
Oh, and FYI in Australia we don't say "redneck", they're called bogans. :p

Yeah, a number of Aussie mates have told me this. Your wrestling scene is missing a trick by not having a really fat, Aussie version of Hillbilly Jim called "Bulk Bogan".

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh im upto date, i think the show's been very good. The last proper episode featuring Vic Grujic was excellent TV, really made you see what see how much this show means to some of these fighters, then that finish of Luke Harris was just savage.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see the episode of this last week? Man, watching Kajun crying into the camera asking why his "face had to break again" was one of the more sombre moments in TUF history I think.

This season has been excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

yep, this thread dropped off but i've continued to watch and i'll go on record saying this will down as one of the most underrated seasons ever. From a fight standpoint it's been kind of average and if you're after hi-jinx in the house you're out of look unless you love watching men throw snowballs at each other. What this season did probably better than any other was bring forward to emotional struggles that goes along with being in the house. There were at least 5-6 stand out episodes that focussed on the some of the guys really struggling.

The Cajun Johnson episode being the highlight, he had his jaw shattered by a friend and team mate, the fallout of which was pretty heartbreaking. Cajun's had terrible injuries before and seeing him think he's blown his final chance, allow his family to see him seriously injured all with his jaw wired closed, grim stuff. Cajun has nabbed a fight on UFC 174 though in Canada, happy about that :)

I don't think a season has consisitently show the hardships these guys go through though, there was some horrid injuries during the season and some real brutal, eye opening moments.

The finale's are all Canadian (though the Australian's were more competitive than some anticipated), and i think there's some genuine prospects amongst the 4 guys...Olivier Aubin-Mercier has been tagged with the dreaded 'new GSP tag', say hello Phillipe Nover.

Aubin-Mercier looks legit though, i loved Luke Harris claiming he was like Dexter in episode 12 though. Young, talented, happy kid who turns seriously dark around fight time. A few Canadian's even said the guys a future hall of famer. Lots of pressure.

finale:

Main Card:

Michael Bisping vs. Tim Kennedy

Patrick Cote vs. Kyle Noke

Elias Theodorou vs. Sheldon Westcott - "TUF Nations" middleweight final

Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Chad Laprise - "TUF Nations" welterweight final

Akira Corassani vs. Dustin Poirier

Prelim Card:

K.J. Noons vs. Sam Stout

Sarah Kaufman vs. Leslie Smith

Mark Bocek vs. Mike de La Torre

Ryan Jimmo vs. Sean O'Connell

Dustin Kimura vs. George Roop

Mitch Gagnon vs. Tim Gorman

love that card.

But yeh, a great season and it's a shame that most people seem to have skipped it with the intention of watching TUF Brazil.

I haven't seen any of this season but there is some great stuff on that card. Stout/Noons should be a stand up barnstormer and Wand has already talked about Kaufman (who brings it more often than not)/Smith elsewhere. Corassani looks out of his depth against Poirier, and Mark Bocek? Talk about somone who I'd forgotten all about. Roop/Kimura should be decent and I'll be hoping for a Kennedy victory in the main.

• Paid Members

It was a combination of TUF Brazil starting (I've finally started watching that now!), so many shows, TUF getting old, and the Cote/Noke pairing not doing much for me. Nice to hear it turned out good but with the amount of stuff on now I couldn't be arsed to watch it on the off chance it was good.

Finale looks pretty good. Very good actually. Bisping vs Kennedy is a fun fight. Cote vs Noke, despite my indifference to them as TUF coach choices, should be exciting. Poitier vs Corassani - can't see that not delivering. Noons vs Stout is two of the best technical strikers at 155 squaring off. Kimura vs Roop is a decent fight. And Kaufman vs Smith 2, I already bummed that in the MMA News thread. If it's anything like the first fight I'll be chuffed.

I was going to update the Fight Night thread for this Finale, I forgot this thread was here. Dave might as well just add a poll to this thread then.

Yeah, Magnum. I agree on Bocek. Really underrated fighter. I thought he beat Jim Miller a few years ago if I'm remembering that fight right. Awesome grappler, tough as fuck. I like Bocek.

• Paid Members

yeh the coaches didnt really light up the TV or make for compelling viewing, both guys were kinda quiet and in the background, the focus was really on the fighters.

Nice to see a fair few get fights post-show as well.

• Paid Members

Yeah Kennedy's slimy alright. I hope Bisping batters him.

Saw this interesting stat on twitter;

Mike Bohn @MikeBohnMMA

RT @FurysFightPicks: No Michael @bisping fight has ended in an upset. He's 14-0 as a favorite, 0-5 as a dog. He's favored over Tim Kennedy.

So there you have it. If history repeats itself, Bisping is winning this one.

Also, the Noons vs Stout fight is going to be fought at 170. There's said to be nothing to read into that though. Just a case of them both agreeing to fight at their walkaround weight, I imagine. Makes sense I suppose, why cut weight if you don't have to?

• Paid Members

Weigh ins are done;

MAIN CARD

Michael Bisping (186) vs. Tim Kennedy (186)

Patrick Cote (170) vs. Kyle Noke (171)

Elias Theodorou (185) vs. Sheldon Westcott (184)

Olivier Aubin-Mercier (169) vs. Chad Laprise (170)

Dustin Poirier (145) vs. Akira Corassani (145)

PRELIMS - FOX SPORTS 1

KJ Noons (168) vs. Sam Stout (169)

Sarah Kaufman (135) vs. Leslie Smith (135)

Ryan Jimmo (205) vs. Sean O'Connell (204)

Dustin Kimura (136) vs. George Roop (135)

PRELIMS - FIGHT PASS

Mark Bocek (156) vs. Mike De La Torre (156)

Nordine Taleb (185) vs. Vik Grujic (186)

Chris Indich (170) vs. Richard Walsh (171)

Mitch Gagnon (135) vs. Tim Gorman (135)

bisping-kennedy.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Poirier and Corassani got into a bit of handbags during their staredown. Really looking forward to some of these fights. Bisping vs Kennedy, Cote vs Noke, Poirier vs Akira, Noons vs Stout and especially Kaufman vs Smith 2. This is a pretty solid card all in all.

• Paid Members

Bisping on Kennedy

"He made some comments on Inside MMA, that we were on the same level, which I find absolutely hilarious. He's had two fights in the UFC, I've had twenty-odd fights in the UFC. I've coached The Ultimate Fighter twice, I've won The Ultimate Fighter. I'm one of the highest paid athletes in the UFC. You see Tim Kennedy bitching about how much he gets paid, you don't see me bitching about how much I get paid because I get paid very well. So Tim, to say that you're on my level, is very laughable, very laughable. I'm sick of him, I don't want to think about his horrible, buck-toothed, stupid face. He's just annoying, a horrible little botheration that's been bothering me for years."

Another one

"He's relentlessly mocked me. Of course I take offense at that, I take offense. It's a professional sport, I'm a professional athlete, I will act accordingly. But certainly when we fight, I'll have that extra aggression inside me. And after we're done, forget it. Walk away, don't talk to me. Don't come to my dressing room and shake hands afterwards. I'm going to make an example of him and then our association is done."

"He's got an average skill-set. He's got decent takedowns, he's got decent-ish striking. But I believe in my skill-set, I feel I have him beat in all areas. I've certainly fought way better competition. I've done this for a long, long time. He's just another opponent, when I'm done with him nobody's going to think about Tim Kennedy anymore. Somehow he's talked his way into this position. Everybody's talking about him right now, you, me, everyone here, he's on the bloody poster for crying out loud. After this, it's going to be a long, long time before he has that kind of attention again."

"I'm looking to hurt this guy. I'm telling you now. I don't want to misrepresent the sport of mixed martial arts, but I haven't came up here to take part in a very fancy, flashy mixed martial arts contest. I've come up here to settle a score, shut someone up once and for all, and take care of business. In as violent a way as possible."

I haven't followed the season because I find TUF as stale as month-old bread nowadays, but this looks like a very solid card. Kyle Noke looked good in his welterweight debut, so Cote will be a good step up for him, hoping he can make a statement, it's really now or never at his age. I understand that it's all Canadians in the TUF finals, but some Aussies are on the prelims. Really hoping a few of my boys can stand out. I thought Robert Whittaker was headed for big things, but he was finished rather easily on a PPV main card. C'mon Aussies, make an impact!

As for the main event- Bisping vs. Kennedy... they both seem like complete tossers, as long they brutalise each other I'll be happy. It says something for the likeability of Kennedy when I'm not even rooting for him to cave Bisping's skull in.

• Paid Members

dont think any of the Australians really stood out during the seasom fight wise.They were competetive but the real talent was clearly on the Canadian side. I see a few of the guys becoming staples of Australian shows though.

Archived