Could territories work in the US again?

kieranjennings

It's unlikely that regional territories will ever come back or certainly the way the used to.

As Tennessee has been mentioned, take the Memphis territory for example, they would pretty much have the same matches and results throughout the week (although I believe some cities were a week behind e.g. what happened in Memphis last week happened in Louisville this week). There is no way in the internet age that this would fly, with every result reported minutes after the event and sometimes during the event.

A territory would pretty much have to have fresh matches each night, which would mean a constant rotation of talent.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I can't see it.

It's unlikely that regional territories will ever come back or certainly the way the used to.

As Tennessee has been mentioned, take the Memphis territory for example, they would pretty much have the same matches and results throughout the week (although I believe some cities were a week behind e.g. what happened in Memphis last week happened in Louisville this week). There is no way in the internet age that this would fly, with every result reported minutes after the event and sometimes during the event.

A territory would pretty much have to have fresh matches each night, which would mean a constant rotation of talent.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I can't see it.

I agree, but WWE runs house shows and they still have the same match ups going night after night on a loop so why wouldn

Nope...

I'm not an expert, but wrestling was good for local TV in the old days, as it was cheap and entcing (who doesn't want to see two lads having a scrap?). So, people would enjoy the wrestling in the studio, and the clips from the show circuit, and would go to the next big show.

Unfortunately, what you have now is an audience that has hundreds of TV channels at their disposal, and local stations don't have the prominence they used to. If your casuals want wrestling, they watch WWE.

Also, audiences have been conditioned to accept the big arena style of WWE. Given the choice between Raw in HD, with hundreds of people in the crowd, or a few dozen in a Memphis studiom, you know what people want enjoy.

Is it the distances and sprawl of population that makes the All Star model not viable for the US?

There must be some regions where it would work...

All Star has:

- Fans who don't check their results online

- No TV

- Shows practically every night

I don't think any of the issues raised so far are insurmountable but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be investing the thousands of dollars required to find out, that's for sure.

Is it the distances and sprawl of population that makes the All Star model not viable for the US?

There must be some regions where it would work...

All Star has:

- Fans who don't check their results online

- No TV

- Shows practically every night

I don't think any of the issues raised so far are insurmountable but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be investing the thousands of dollars required to find out, that's for sure.

Television is the big thing for me.

You'd need to have it, but the production values would have to be comparable to WWE or TNA and there is no way that small shows would cover the cost.

• Paid Members

The number 2 promotion is running TV from a 400 seat soundstage.They have national TV and 1.2 million viewers a week and they dont do business. How you meant to get the territories up and running again? There's less wrestling fans around than at any stage in history. People just dont give a toss about wrestling anymore, sadly. To many people have been ran off. The big national promotion is struggling to convince people to buy their PPVs at the minute.

All they would need would be local TV and the regular gigs would surely mean that they could secure a steady roster of talent.

NWA Championship Wrestling from Hollywood had local TV and their main stars were Joey Ryan, Adam Pearce and Colt Cabana. No offense to those three, but that isn't a strong base to make viewers watch every week. And even they fucked that off if there was a better offer elsewhere, because a local promoter cant afford to pay them every week to work on a small TV production. Stars drive TV wrestling. If WWE has a hard time creating fresh talent, everyone else is fucked.

The thing with the territory system - most people only had access to their local show, on television. Their territory was the big time. Now, everyone in the world has access to WWE programming. There wasn't such access back in the day to hurt the perception of the regional shows.

The thing with the territory system - most people only had access to their local show, on television. Their territory was the big time. Now, everyone in the world has access to WWE programming. There wasn't such access back in the day to hurt the perception of the regional shows.

That's part of what knackered British wrestling in the late 80's.

• Paid Members

I'd like to see the possibility of WWE utilising a territory style system for their developmental talent.

Having 5 to 6 Development Territories around the country would be so beneficial to the talent, going into a new area and having to get themselves over, or getting writers under development getting the new talent over, build to a belt, win it, feud and a loss and then the possibility to move on would be great for them I feel.

Archived