Coliseum Video Book Guides

History of Wrestling

Reverend,

They might be expensive compared to some hardbacks, but you do get 350 pages and around 300-400,000 words per book, with artwork, bios, awards, best and worst match lists and full, comprehensive reviews of each and every tape. Plus, if you were to order in the next few days from lulu.com, you can use the code "decktheshelf" to get 30% off and then the code "freeship" to get free shipping, meaning you can get any of the video guides for under a tenner, all in. The Raw books work out at even less than that, same with the Superstar Series of books, of which there are two, covering the entire careers of both the Hart Foundation and the Ultimate Warrior.

Alternatively, all the books are available on Kindle for under a fiver, with Volume 3 of the Video Guides only 99p until Sunday night. We personally would rather people bought the paperbacks as they are much better in full printed form, but the content is the same.

---

Ash,

Thanks for the info. We assumed a lot of the content from the DVD releases of some of those shows had to be cut. Can't say I blame them for the choices on Mania 21. Do you still have that tape? All the WWE VHS releases are fairly rare nowadays, due to no-one really buying them due to the superior DVD releases and VHS becoming a dying breed.

---

King,

Yeah we figured they were PAL, which is very interesting because it seems the Best of the WWF tapes came out over in Oz but they never did over here. Who knows why not. If the PAL conversion existed, you would figure it would be easy enough for SV to release them to the UK audience. There are some gems contained on some of them (and some stinkers too of course). I am sure they would have sold over here though.

---

Thanks for the kind words, always nice to be appreciated and praised. Glad you enjoy the books!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'd quite to get these books but to be honest they're very fucking expensive for what they are. Considering I can pick up a hardback book for several quid less.

Can you pick up a hardback covering the same subject for several quid less?

This rib-eye steak is very fucking expensive for what it is, considering I can pick up a tin of stewing steak for much less. They're both steak, right?

Reverend,

They might be expensive compared to some hardbacks, but you do get 350 pages and around 300-400,000 words per book, with artwork, bios, awards, best and worst match lists and full, comprehensive reviews of each and every tape. Plus, if you were to order in the next few days from lulu.com, you can use the code "decktheshelf" to get 30% off and then the code "freeship" to get free shipping, meaning you can get any of the video guides for under a tenner, all in. The Raw books work out at even less than that, same with the Superstar Series of books, of which there are two, covering the entire careers of both the Hart Foundation and the Ultimate Warrior.

Alternatively, all the books are available on Kindle for under a fiver, with Volume 3 of the Video Guides only 99p until Sunday night. We personally would rather people bought the paperbacks as they are much better in full printed form, but the content is the same.

That's great - thank you. I'm not knocking your work, but I just thought they were a bit high priced. But just under a tenner I'll happily buy those.

Seen as this is the unofficial Silver Vision thread. Why wasn't Survivor Series 1987 ever released in the shops? You could get it via mail order, but not in the shops. Thanks!

I didn't realise this was the case to be honest. So while I don't know for sure, I would assume it was because VHS was expensive in 1987 and the WWF boom didn't really hit for a few years after that in the UK, so shops didn't want to take the chance on bringing in "unknown" stock that might not sell. It wasn't until the first Supertape that near enough everything that came out in America also got a UK release.

---

Apologies for the code being expired, I guess it must have ran out. Lulu are pretty good for throwing random offers on there though, so it worth checking now and again to see if there are offers.

Nah I'm sure the story with SS 87 was something to do with the master copy not being up to retail quality or something like that, so they were happy to release it directly via SV but not in shops. Midnight Zeus will know the exact story I'm sure, but it's been brought up on here before. I'll never forget how excited I was to finally receive SS 87 in the post all those years ago, after years of wondering why I couldn't find it anywhere.

• Paid Members

Ahh I always wondered about SS87! Survivor Series was my favourite PPV as a kid and my first ever wrestling tape was the 1988 one. Then I got 1989 and recorded 1990 onwards, but couldn't find the first one anywhere- despite it being pictured inside all the other video cases. I doubt it would be for the reason mentioned earlier about VHS being expensive over here in 1987, because didn't the home releases only become available here from 1990/91 or so?

I'm pretty sure it was just a simple case of too many releases wanting to be put out and not enough spaces on the retail shelves to accommodate them all. Bearing in mind that we launched in 1990, and had a few years of PPVs to catch up on, plus regular support titles being released too. There was no Amazon or our own website back then, so we were limited to what the likes of HMV, Woolworths, MVC and WH Smiths would give us in shelf space and how much we could afford to promote.

It was very satisfying when the Tagged Classics range got the green light, as it meant we could finally release it on DVD, and then years later it was re-released, in full, as part of the Anthology. It's a pity the Survivor Series Anthology stopped after two volumes, not least of all because of the number of inquiries we used to get as to the whereabouts of subsequent volumes!

On the subject of Silver Vision releases of the early Survivor Series PPV's, 87 and 88 are two of the weirdest tapes ever released when it comes to cuts. For example for some reason The British Bulldogs elimination in 87 is cut and the opening match of 88 was swapped around with the awesome bomb 20 man tag.

I think both shows were cut by about an hour in their original VHS release as were both Wrestlemania I and II. Thank the wrestling gods for DVD and the anthology releases.

On the subject of Silver Vision releases of the early Survivor Series PPV's, 87 and 88 are two of the weirdest tapes ever released when it comes to cuts. For example for some reason The British Bulldogs elimination in 87 is cut and the opening match of 88 was swapped around with the awesome bomb 20 man tag.

I think both shows were cut by about an hour in their original VHS release as were both Wrestlemania I and II. Thank the wrestling gods for DVD and the anthology releases.

This was the same in the States, the cuts were made by WWF themselves. The reason being that back then the difference between producing a 2 hour VHS and 3 hour VHS was quite significant, and demand wasn't what it went on to become. So, they went for the cheaper option and sliced significant parts of the shows off.

I was so pleased when the Anthology sets came out, as it meant I could finally see the whole of Survivor Series 1988 and all of the Team Warrior vs. Team Honky. At least in their wisdom, they did include the whole 42+ minutes of the 10 tag team match on the original, and tthus we could on the subsequent Tagged Classics release of that event.

They edited down events for years after that too, but then to keep them to 3 hour videos, not wanting to go to 4 hour tapes! Again, the Anthology series came to the rescue again, and thankfully I could see WrestleMania VI in it's entirety once more.

Of course the Anthology sets aren't without their faults, and the replacement of great theme songs with generic stock music being the biggest crime :(

Archived