Hell in The Cell is on tonight

IANdrewDiceClay

I was shocked how the CM Punk match started with Ryback on his back and selling his leg within the first minute...supposed to be a tough guy bully?

What would be the better form of psychology than a smaller man attacking the larger wrestlers leg? That's the most basic form of storytelling there is. He's essentially chopping the tree down. That's exactly what he should have been doing.

It just seemed rushed for me, Ryback is supposed to be this tough guy bully yet it only took a couple of kicks to get him on his back and selling the leg, it made him look weak straight off the bat, that's just the way it came across to me. Instead of building things up it just seemed like they wanted to rush through instead of telling a story. I'd of liked to have seen the Hell in a Cell matches last longer so they could have spaced things out more and built up some real intensity and drama but I suppose with only one weapon in each and probable limits as to what they could do, they did what they could with the time given. How can you really build up Hell in a Cell as something so dangerous, career shortening, intense and gruelling in a PG environment. For a blow off end of a feud match inside HELL in a Cell you want to see something that's going to have you gripped and enthralled not that watered down stuff from the PPV lastnight.

I suppose I just have fond memories of a time in WWE when things where more edgy, controversial and less limited. The days when everyone on the roster from top to bottom had a back round and gimmick that allowed you to buy in to them and understand them. Goldust at the minute sticks out like a sore thumb in WWE because even though he has shed a lot of his early days Goldust gimmick he's the only one in current WWE with a gimmick. You can't invest, or care about a generic guy in tights, no matter how great a wrestler they are because a 620 off the top rope (or what ever move he uses) from Adrian Neville or 10.000 people chanting YES! isn't going to fill a 70.000 seat stadium without the assistance on the card from say the Rock, Undertaker, Stone Cold or many other SUPERSTARS from the past who can draw those kinds of crowds. I'm not saying Daniel Bryan isn't over because he is but he's a flash in the pan, he's over but can he stay over for a long period of time? They had to have Shawn Michaels as the referee and Triple H to come out to add some interest, way to show faith in the young guys.

Its obvious times change older fans of wrestling are moving on and the kids of today are moving in and the WWE product appeals to them thats fair enough. WWE can be great at times I just wish it had more ATTITUDE! even just a little bit just to give the overall product a bit more edge and rawness.

Let the bashing of me commence...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The days when everyone on the roster from top to bottom had a back round and gimmick that allowed you to buy in to them and understand them. Goldust at the minute sticks out like a sore thumb in WWE because even though he has shed a lot of his early days Goldust gimmick he's the only one in current WWE with a gimmick. You can't invest, or care about a generic guy in tights...

This was one good point amongst it all. From the 80s boom to the early 2000s, near every wrestler had a clear gimmick or personality of some sort. Nowadays everyone looks and acts the same, save for a handful of top stars that get mic time, a different appearance and a chance to show personality.

For some reason I was expecting something not quite as straight & cut as what happened with the Cena match, but I can't really put my finger on what exactly it was that I wanted as the end result. I was sat there at the end of the whole thing thinking "Is that really it then?". He really just came back, had a quick match, won, and fucked off. Part of me is surprised, and the other half is saying "Why, you twat"

• Paid Members
The days when everyone on the roster from top to bottom had a back round and gimmick that allowed you to buy in to them and understand them. Goldust at the minute sticks out like a sore thumb in WWE because even though he has shed a lot of his early days Goldust gimmick he's the only one in current WWE with a gimmick. You can't invest, or care about a generic guy in tights...

Is Goldust sticking out like a sore thumb because of his gimmick- which he has not utilised whatsoever since returning- or because he's a fantastically seasoned wrestler who knows exactly how to work and play on the crowds emotion? I think it's fair to say his Goldust gimmick has played virtually no part in his successful return so far.

I'm disappointed that Kane came back as if nothing happened. Surely, as hokey as it sounds, having The Wyatt Family dragging Kane off to the compound after SummerSlam and then, finally, revealing that their brainwashing (or 'indoctrination' as they could call it) had worked and Kane was now 'part of the family' would have been more of a story.

Cue Kane being under their control, the brain-dead, wide eyed zombie that annihilates people at Bray Wyatts command. Several wrestlers try to talk Kane round, reminding him of his past, saying he doesn't need Wyatt etc leading Bray/Kane to feud with them etc. Eventually, Undertaker comes back to 'save' his brother and, eventually, around, say, January/February next year he succeeds and Kane breaks the spell Wyatt has over him.

Kane vs Wyatt at Mania. Shimples!

Kane vs Wyatt at Mania. Shimples!

5 months for this shit storyline to play out? More like Wyatt vs Kane on Raw and we can all move on with our lives.

Fair enough.

It needn't be all 'Kane vs Wyatt' for that 5 months though. I just think more could have been made of it as a storyline. I mean, why did The Wyatts attack Kane in the first place? If it was because Bray wanted the biggest monster on the roster under his control then it makes some sense. It fits with his character and it makes Kane the monster again after his comedy storyline with Daniel Bryan.

Sure, the whole thing matters not one iota in the grand scheme of things and is just another minor storyline that's not gonna draw any money and be forgotten in a few months but my point is that a lot of storylines are seemingly just being thrown away or cobbled together without much thought these days when, with a bit of time, they could develop into something, incorporate other members of the roster maybe and, potentially, mean more to the audience when the two main protagonists eventually collide.

• Paid Members

The opener was amazing and I enjoyed Langston/Ambrose. I love Ambrose's earring, it makes him look like a cheesy 80's movie henchman. Big fan of Langston, that spear through the ropes is a mental spot for a big man. The forklift driver was just amazing...and I love Ryback so enjoyed the parts of the match he was on offense. Punk/Heyman are both dull as dishwater...give them something else to do. The rest was forgettable/shit. Triple H's bump from Bryan's running knee was really odd and weak looking.

Triple H's bump from Bryan's running knee was really odd and weak looking.

If Bryan wasn't "connected" to Cena via their girlfriends I wonder if he would be sent to the performance centre to learn how to work.

• Paid Members

I've only really got one thought, and that's how disappointed I was in the ending to Del Rio/Cena. There are plenty of ways of winning cleanly that don't make your opponent's finisher look completely shit.

Archived