Weather Warnings

The Invisible Boy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm I'm supposed to be down in Reading for work today and have been on the train since 0608. Was all looking good, but now all viable routes into London (Kings Cross the main one for me, but also looked at alternatives into Liverpool Street and St Pancras) have just closed due to flooded tunnels and fallen trees. Got to Peterborough and have been turned around to go home.

One of the bushes in my front garden looks like a drunk person has slept in it; other than that, the Great Storm of 2013 seems to have been a bit of a dud.

• Moderators
One of the bushes in my front garden looks like a drunk person has slept in it; other than that, the Great Storm of 2013 seems to have been a bit of a dud.

"Nothing happened to me, so nothing happened!"

Twitter is full of this, from Northerners. Perhaps, because we had warnings this time and travel was suspended, unlike '87, we were saved worse consequences. A quarter of a million homes without power and trees down all over the place, including 30 on train tracks, is probably newsworthy.

Doesn't seem to be a great deal of damage here. My ex who lives a couple of houses up from me had some guttering come away but that seems to be about it. I panicked when I woke up and realised that I'd parked under a tree last night, but just checked the car and it's fine. Loads of warnings from Kent police on twitter about downed trees and cables though.

• Paid Members
Doesn't seem to be a great deal of damage here. My ex who lives a couple of houses up from me had some guttering come away but that seems to be about it. I panicked when I woke up and realised that I'd parked under a tree last night, but just checked the car and it's fine. Loads of warnings from Kent police on twitter about downed trees and cables though.

Yeah im down the road in monkton. we lost a old willow tree, that fell into the yard. I have already chopped it up to burn on the log fire

• Paid Members

It's been a bit mental here over night. Nothing started until about 11pm and then it was really going for it. I woke up a few times because of things skiing down the road but at about 7am it was like a hurricane outside. I was a bit wary of the lamppost swaying out the front. I went to the back to see if there was any damage, couldn't see anything but also couldn't figure out why it was so bright. Turns out, the giant oak tree that used to overshadow my garden has been blown down. It's landed in next door's garden (luckily otherwise it would've landed on the garages in my garden) and left a bloody big hole about 4-5ft deep!

Tree1.jpg

Tree2.jpg

Tree3.jpg

And I did originally write 405ft deep which would've been much more impressive!

• Paid Members
I'm I'm supposed to be down in Reading for work today and have been on the train since 0608. Was all looking good, but now all viable routes into London (Kings Cross the main one for me, but also looked at alternatives into Liverpool Street and St Pancras) have just closed due to flooded tunnels and fallen trees. Got to Peterborough and have been turned around to go home.

That is mental. There is absolutely fuck all going on here. Gutted, was really looking forward to a day off an'all.

Archived