Triple H's promo on Raw

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
There have only ever really been four top, top, top, TOP dogs in the industry. Sammartino, Hogan, Austin and now Cena.

Hard to argue the Austin point, but he was only around as top dog for about 3 years max. Much less than the rest mentioned.

Austin is a special case. The reason he packed it in wasn't because he wasn't still a massive star, but because he was facing the possibility of paralysis; it's amazing how much Austin got out of his body when you consider how bad his neck was after that piledriver. Also, when you think about it, he drew so much money that he could retire after only a few years on top and have a comfortable life. Seeing as it's all about making money, few were as great as Austin.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Finally got around to watching Raw.

I can see what he was trying to do with the promo and I do believe he's playing up to - or trying to revive - the now outdated internet perception of him but there really wasn't that much in it, besides being a shit promo on the whole. I've heard worse come out of him.

WWE would KILL for pops like these nowadays.

Austin shows up and causes mayhem -

Wrong thread?

Yes..... although in a way it is relevant as there were posts about Austin and how he would never allow himself to look weak against the evil Corporation prior to this so I'm gonna say I intended to post it here..... people'll buy that, right?....

Late to the debate, but I thought HHH's namedropping was the best part of a bit of a muddled final segment. There's a few separate arguments going on here as well, but the main one for me is that as much as I liked the promo, it ultimately doesn't get Bryan/Orton over as a match to buy the PPV for at the weekend. In fact, in the end segment overall, I'd say HHH vs Big Show, HHH vs Bryan & HHH vs/with HBK were all really well built up, and yet none of those are happening (yet). I've quite enjoyed that about this angle actually, for all some have criticised it, I've felt as though they're always keeping irons in the fire for more than the obvious match right in front of you. This has been at the detriment of the Orton/Bryan arm of the angle, but everything else has subtly grown in the background leading us to quite a multi-layered end promo. It's the same as how they brought The Rhodes into it (and thus created the hottest and most successful offshoot of the whole story so far), and abused Edge when he rocked up on Raw a few weeks back as a way to keep the Sheild looking like proper bastards.

The constant and pointless comparisons to Austin vs Vince/The Corporation don't help anybody, either. Bryan probably should have had more winning moments than he has done, but as has been discussed plenty of times, John Cena is the one that gets all the winning moments, and rightly or wrongly, just like when Austin could have the last laugh over the entire roster most weeks, WWE are settled on Cena being the one that gets to be that now. I'm not a massive CM Punk fan, but his big angle in 2011 and the title run has done a great job of making him the teflon superstar - the Bret Hart as Ian perfectly put it. Bryan is not yet at that point and they've possibly missed their window in doing so, but that's not to say when HHH taps out to him (which I'm certain is going to happen), he won't get his big moment that will properly resonate. To me, they've been pointed at that since the night after Summerslam. If we must use Austin/Vince, Orton might as well be Dude Love and The Shield Shamrock and Bossman. It doesn't mean the real money match can't be built at the same time.

That pop during Rock/Foley gives me chills every single time I see that clip. The level of reaction combined with the visual of the entire crowd jumping to their feet is insane. People are literally jumping up and down for joy.

That pop during Rock/Foley gives me chills every single time I see that clip. The level of reaction combined with the visual of the entire crowd jumping to their feet is insane. People are literally jumping up and down for joy.

It's brilliant, and Lawler's high pitched "OH NO!" that accompanies it when Austin appears on screen is great too. Back when Lawler was really good.

One of the best Raw moments ever.

Lawler's high pitched "OH NO!" that accompanies it when Austin appears on screen is great too. Back when Lawler was really good.

Attitude era commentary Jerry Lawler is the worst thing in the world. Just horrible shrieking all the time.

I liked him being the corporate stooge on commentary. Now he just sounds like he can't be bothered.

Although (I know we're going off on a tangent here) I thought when Paul Heyman took over in 2001 he was great.

Heyman did a cracking job, and wound JR up a treat which is always good. I'll take Heyman over Lawler's "I'm eleven and at a One Direction concert" gimmick any day. I can only watch the Spanish language versions of anything with The Rock or Debra onscreen from that time period, because Jerry's voice goes right through me. I much prefer him now he's bored.

I don't think the promo was that backward. D-Bry has basically proven he can hang at the top end with Orton etc so now Trip's has layed down a new gauntlet. Both Trip's and Bryan aren't in that upper echelon but by HHH presenting himself in that manner (and lord knows he believes it) it 'll give Bryan the rub when he taps him out at 'Mania. It does raise an interesting dilemma. What happens at HIAC? Does Bryan go over clean and get screwed down the line? Does HBK screw him this letting him retain his credibility and move on to HHH? Will he hold onto it and defeat all comers untill HHH decides he's the only man who can get the job done?

I don't think the promo was that backward. D-Bry has basically proven he can hang at the top end with Orton etc so now Trip's has layed down a new gauntlet. Both Trip's and Bryan aren't in that upper echelon but by HHH presenting himself in that manner (and lord knows he believes it) it 'll give Bryan the rub when he taps him out at 'Mania. It does raise an interesting dilemma. What happens at HIAC? Does Bryan go over clean and get screwed down the line? Does HBK screw him this letting him retain his credibility and move on to HHH? Will he hold onto it and defeat all comers untill HHH decides he's the only man who can get the job done?

I was thinking that the other day, it'd probably kill Orton but I reckon that's the way they should go, it'd be fresher than "Babyface overcomes the odds and wins the title at Mania"

Have Bryan win tonight then fight everyone off until after Elimination Chamber, Triple H decides he is the only man who can get it done and he'll prove Bryan can't hang with the real stars, admittedly it'd bury a fair few of the roster but they don't seem too fussed about doing that anyway

I think it'd help the belt as well if it's defended in a match like that, If Bryan (or HHH) isn't champion going into Mania, Bryan makes him tap out and then a month later he's fighting some standard B Show title match it'll make the whole thing seem a bit watered down

Archived