Triple H's promo on Raw

IANdrewDiceClay

He beat John Cena clean. Why does he have to be an underdog after that?

Because he still is a clean head shorter than everyone else, a victory at PPV is impressive but you can not overlook that. Shawn Michaels beat everybody ever but still died in every match because it would look like bull shit if he didn't.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
showing him as the down trodden little guy getting bullied by his boss they are aiming for crowd empathy. G

It's hard to cheer for the bloke who gets bullied and humiliated every week. You can pull that angle with a mid-carder but top babyfaces need to beat the odds and come out on top regularly or the fans will lose faith and interest.

If you watch Raw from 98-99 pretty much every Raw ends with Austin on top or on an "tune in next week and see Austin get his revenge" moment. Bryan just gets beaten up, humiliated or pushed into the background every week.

• Paid Members
Because he still is a clean head shorter than everyone else, a victory at PPV is impressive but you can not overlook that. Shawn Michaels beat everybody ever but still died in every match because it would look like bull shit if he didn't.

The fans certainly overlooked it when he beat the top star clean. At least be consistent with your argument. And if he's an underdog why are the keep screwing him out of the title? He's beat Orton and Cena clean, yet you are saying they are booking him as an underdog? They aren't booking him as an underdog. They are booking him as someone who is good but isn't worthy of winning the title because he isn't marketable. The whole storyline is that he's a good but looks like a pork scratching and having him on top isn't what is good for business.

He really does not "need" to be booked as a under Dog either.

By all means book him as One but it is not the only way they can book a guy like him

The whole Promo was pointless tbh and wont make any Money for the company coffers what so ever.

This kind of shite should have stopped years ago

I mean its not like it has upset me...its just not really very good TV

I thought it was a horrible promo and pretty typical of Triple H to be honest.

The Jericho/Edge/RVD stuff seemed stupid and pointless but as others have mentioned the really awful part of the promo was him talking about how he wouldn't dream of facing Bryan and that he only faces stars. So Bryan is a loser, and so is Orton because he's the one who's facing him on Sunday. So you have a main event of two losers who aren't stars according to the boss, brilliant.

A big difference between Vince and Triple H is that Vince didn't want Austin as champ because he was a rebel who wouldn't do what Vince wanted. At first anyway that was the main thrust of their feud. Triple h doesn't want bryan as Champ because he's never going to be a superstar. That's a world of difference.

showing him as the down trodden little guy getting bullied by his boss they are aiming for crowd empathy. G

It's hard to cheer for the bloke who gets bullied and humiliated every week. You can pull that angle with a mid-carder but top babyfaces need to beat the odds and come out on top regularly or the fans will lose faith and interest.

If you watch Raw from 98-99 pretty much every Raw ends with Austin on top or on an "tune in next week and see Austin get his revenge" moment. Bryan just gets beaten up, humiliated or pushed into the background every week.

Thing is though, since mania 13 Austin was always portrayed as a hard as nails psycho who would hunt you like a deer if you crossed him, whereas Bryan is your wrestlers wrestler. So while you might tune in to see austin run a bitch over and then beat 13 lads with a pool cue, you in theory should equally tune in for Bryan stretching the shit outta whoever's in front of him, as evidenced by the Ambrose match. Not saying it's coming across that way but that's the impression I'm getting. So him getting bullied every week builds up the whole "wait till he gets his hands on randy with no interference " mindset.

• Paid Members
I suspect his logic, however flawed it was, was to get heat

That's the problem in a nutshell. The idea of wrestling isn't to get heat. The idea of wrestling is to draw money.

Getting heat can be one way of drawing money, but it's hard to see how that's the case in this situation.

It's almost as if there was some sort of guide to the business that HHH stopped reading halfway through because he got distracted.

mizextra1.jpg

I don't think Triple H put down Edge, Jericho and RVD without their knowledge, plus with Jericho being the only one whos complained back I imagine he's due back within the next 6 weeks

I do think the promo on the whole was counterproductive though, I'd just hope that a belting match and a decisive win for Bryan (though I think HBK will cheat Bryan on Sunday) would erase the promo from people's memories, other than on places like here obviously

I do think the promo on the whole was counterproductive though, I'd just hope that a belting match and a decisive win for Bryan (though I think HBK will cheat Bryan on Sunday) would erase the promo from people's memories, other than on places like here obviously

If the promo hasn't got people to buy the show, the match won't make any odds. Far more people have watched that contract signing than will ever see the match.

• Paid Members
Tapping Triple H at Mania would put him over the edge I think. Beating Orton can maintain momentum, but the win against Triple H would gain it. He's the 'end boss'. Trips swings with the sledgehammer, Bryan with the Yes Lock, Trips taps.

Can they really keep this angle going for another 5 months though?

Knowing WWE they will forget all about it in the next 5 weeks. Bryan will never get the big win, Triple H will move on to something else and everyone will come out of it looking like shit.

Probably not. He'd need a diversion from now til then. Feuding with Orton for

another five months isn't going to help and he's feuded with The Shield. Big Show maybe, but that's been done fairly recently.

Fuck, I hope something's pulled out of the bag.

• Awards Moderator
I suspect his logic, however flawed it was, was to get heat for saying that three extremely popular guys weren't important (which they all were, less so RVD), and frankly build Bryan a bit. I'm not convinced Bryan is in the same star level as Jericho or Edge yet, and Bryan being lumped with them builds him up. Also, if he wins the title from the guy they think is amazing, it kind of disproves his crap.

I think that was Trips logic, anyway.

I thought the far dumber thing was saying "I won't wrestle you, I only wrestle stars".

... Leaving the trailing comment, "but Randy here will wrestle you."

The whole emphasis was HHH v HBK.

He beat John Cena clean. Why does he have to be an underdog after that?

Oh for the love of God. I don't even know were to begin with this. The way Shawn Michaels was booked from 94-97 and the way DB has been booked since SS are NIGHT AND DAY! Not once during a promo (Except Bret Hart and that was more to due with Bret's hatred than the way it was scripted) did anyone point out Shawn's height, what he looked like and constantly state that he was not worthy of the world title or that he was not a star. Shawn sold during his matches and sold for beat downs during angles, but he always came out clean on the blow off! He would never get beat down 8 weeks in a row and constantly beat down by the heels. The Big Show would not have used only 60% effort to beat him. He was protected. Ever since he was named number 1 contender, won the title and lost the title all we have heard from the men in charge is that DB is not a star, he's too short, he's goat faced. Hey guess what, if you tell the people this every week they are going to start believing this is the case.

Triple H has been lording it over the roster for the last 14 years. From telling Benoit and Jericho they didn't know how to work (and I think Jericho was never as good in WWE as he was in WCW) to cutting people off at the knees that he saw as a threat, the man will never change

Haven't seen the promo, but think its it's interesting after the controversial 2k14 press conference where Flair agreed with Bryan that he didn't belong on stage with him "what would Harley think of this guy" and seemed to have cost Ross his job that they seem to be taking a similar stance in storyline.

Archived