Triple H's promo on Raw

IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

I'm very much looking forward to Chris Jericho spending January to April on his back and proving HHH right. I've never ever bought Jericho, RVD and Edge as real stars. RVD in 2001 was probably closest to it for me. Edge was never even close, and Jericho was a bit of a star for about 3 months in 2000. But HHH was right. It's good to see Jericho acting like his big mate Mick Foley about it all though. Unless it's the annual "not at all" cryptic Jericho work.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The point has been made elsewhere that if former WWE Champions Edge, RVD and Jericho are so unappealing they would cripple the company and Daniel Bryan is in that category, then his WWE title win at Hell in the Cell will mean absolutely fuck all. Sort of like "yeah, he's champion but what does that mean when the likes of those clowns have won it as well?"

That's kinda what I've taken from it as well. The objective on the last tv show before a PPV should be to pique the fans interest about what could happen or, at the very least, make them care enough to buy the PPV . This not only won't accomplish either of those but it will in fact have the opposite effect. Who gives a shit about Bryan winning the title now that they've practically said he's only ever gonna be a second level guy? J.R. has been banging on for the last fortnight about this being the second PPV of the billing cycle and I wouldn't be surpised if it did around 50-75,000 less buys than the same show last year.

For what it's worth I'm actually of the belief that Daniel Bryan is capable of reaching a level that will see him main event several Wrestlemanias albeit never reaching Cena level. I'm not sure how many people would agree with that but I can't think of another guy capable of having the matches and programmes that he can while maintaining a strong performance at the merch stands. He's insanely over with kids and not just in the 'cool little guy' way that Mysterio is, he's beyond that already IMO.

• Moderators
it made Daniel Bryan look shit by pointing out the fact the he will only ever get to Edge/Y2J/Foley/Piper status.

I think pretty much the whole roster would fuck then kill their mothers to get to the status of 1980's Roddy Piper.

The problem with the promo was that it was probably true. I think they're desperate to try and capture reality in all this the way Vince's promo on the Montreal screwjob added reality to that character. I don't think they see the storyline the way the fans see it, I think their end game at this point is Daniel Bryan beating HHH to establish himself as one of the top guys rather than Bryan winning the WWE title to prove it. I'm not convinced that Bryan will have any momentum by then or that it'll have the response they want but I'd be surprised if that wasn't their intention. I think the problem there is the promo only works if you believe that RVD/Jericho/Edge could have the guy. Not whether they were or not, but whether they could have been. I don't.

• Paid Members
it made Daniel Bryan look shit by pointing out the fact the he will only ever get to Edge/Y2J/Foley/Piper status.

I think pretty much the whole roster would fuck then kill their mothers to get to the status of 1980's Roddy Piper.

Absolutely. Piper was a massive star, far bigger than Foley, Edge or Jericho have ever been.

• Paid Members

I suspect his logic, however flawed it was, was to get heat for saying that three extremely popular guys weren't important (which they all were, less so RVD), and frankly build Bryan a bit. I'm not convinced Bryan is in the same star level as Jericho or Edge yet, and Bryan being lumped with them builds him up. Also, if he wins the title from the guy they think is amazing, it kind of disproves his crap.

I think that was Trips logic, anyway.

I thought the far dumber thing was saying "I won't wrestle you, I only wrestle stars". That was terrible

For me, Daniel Bryan is completely dead on his arse now... Bryan's having a real hard time at the minute trying to claw his way out of all of these bad finishes... They sort of caught lightening in a bottle with Bryan, because he suddenly got over huge. But he has plenty of weaknesses as well. And it seems like all of them have been exposed since July.

One thing I really think is hurting Bryan right now is the fact that his general demeanor and attitude is very different to how it was when he started getting the really strong reactions months back. Instead of being the guy trying to "prove himself" (and therefore fighting with loads of fire and anger) he's done the usual WWE Babyface thing of coming out with a grin on his face and smiling his way through the first half of all his promos most weeks.

Even when he was doing the silly stuff with Kane, Bryan was the "angry, straight man" and after that he was the pissed-off little guy that had had enough of being called a weak link. Now he's joking about and being far more lighthearted half the time - just like Shaemus, Cena etc...

The way he's being constantly dicked-over, he should be full of piss and vinegar all the time, not starting his promos with a big smile and displaying an almost aloof attitude.

I suspect his logic, however flawed it was, was to get heat for saying that three extremely popular guys weren't important (which they all were, less so RVD), and frankly build Bryan a bit. I'm not convinced Bryan is in the same star level as Jericho or Edge yet, and Bryan being lumped with them builds him up. Also, if he wins the title from the guy they think is amazing, it kind of disproves his crap.

I think that was Trips logic, anyway.

I thought the far dumber thing was saying "I won't wrestle you, I only wrestle stars". That was terrible

I wasn't that impressed with Shawn saying he was a very good wrestler either. Shawn should have been going out of his was to put him over as one of the greatest talents of this decade, not just noting that he was a good wrestler.

I think a simple answer to this is that it was a promo that, like everything in wrestling, is aimed at causing a reaction. If you hated it and you think he's a cunt for doing it, great, he's a heel. There's no such thing as cheap heat really, and at least he's not marking fan's by shitting on 3MB anymore.

• Paid Members

What if the reaction is people not buying the PPV because we've been told by an established name that the person main eventing the event is so shit he'd probably sink the promotion if he was champion. If there is no such thing as cheap heat, why didn't Triple H slag off the home towns Football team. That would get a heel reaction as well. Wouldn't give anyone a reason to buy the PPV, but neither did the Daniel Bryan stuff.

For me, Daniel Bryan is completely dead on his arse now... Bryan's having a real hard time at the minute trying to claw his way out of all of these bad finishes... They sort of caught lightening in a bottle with Bryan, because he suddenly got over huge. But he has plenty of weaknesses as well. And it seems like all of them have been exposed since July.

One thing I really think is hurting Bryan right now is the fact that his general demeanor and attitude is very different to how it was when he started getting the really strong reactions months back. Instead of being the guy trying to "prove himself" (and therefore fighting with loads of fire and anger) he's done the usual WWE Babyface thing of coming out with a grin on his face and smiling his way through the first half of all his promos most weeks.

Even when he was doing the silly stuff with Kane, Bryan was the "angry, straight man" and after that he was the pissed-off little guy that had had enough of being called a weak link. Now he's joking about and being far more lighthearted half the time - just like Shaemus, Cena etc...

The way he's being constantly dicked-over, he should be full of piss and vinegar all the time, not starting his promos with a big smile and displaying an almost aloof attitude.

Yeah, I said he needed that fire after Summerslam! And yes, this is another wrestling guru post.

What if the reaction is people not buying the PPV because we've been told by an established name that the person main eventing the event is so shit he'd probably sink the promotion if he was champion. If there is no such thing as cheap heat, why didn't Triple H slag off the home towns Football team. That would get a heel reaction as well. Wouldn't give anyone a reason to buy the PPV, but neither did the Daniel Bryan stuff.

How has he not said that Daniel Bryan wouldn't make a great champion since he starting rubbing off Randy Orton? This really is no different than Vince 'hating' Austin and not approving of him being champion. Triple H is a heel, people are not supposed to agree with him and hate what he's saying.

• Paid Members

The exactly the opposite of Austin and McMahon. Austin got the better of him all the time. Steve Austin won the title the week after Vince said he didn't want him as champion. The angle was Vince wanting the belt off him and Austin being to smart and to good to beat. Kane, Undertaker and Mick Foley had a good go, but Austin always came out on top. Bryan hasn't had a run yet, and he's being told "even if you win it, you're still shit, mate". There is no similarities between those storylines. Expect. Bryan has a head and legs and so does Austin.

Triple H is a heel, people are not supposed to agree with him and hate what he's saying.

No. We are supposed to come to our own conclusions when it comes to what we agree with. If babyface Santino came out and said to Hulk Hogan "you're old, bald, have a plastic hip and cant take bumps. Fuck off back to TNA Uncle Creepy" are the fans going to suddenly think Santino is the man for standing up to the returning legend? No. Because fans dont buy shit like that and if you tell them someone is shit enough times they will believe it.

The exactly the opposite of Austin and McMahon. Austin got the better of him all the time. Steve Austin won the title the week after Vince said he didn't want him as champion. The angle was Vince wanting the belt off him and Austin being to smart and to good to beat. Kane, Undertaker and Mick Foley had a good go, but Austin always came out on top. Bryan hasn't had a run yet, and he's being told "even if you win it, you're still shit, mate". There is no similarities between those storylines. Expect. Bryan has a head and legs and so does Austin.

You're ignoring the fact that due to Daniel Bryan's comparative size he need's to be portrayed as an Underdog, they are stretching out his Under Dog quest for the title which has so far been a merchandise gold mine. They have so far managed to get over that he is a better technical wrestler than everyone else but by showing him as the down trodden little guy getting bullied by his boss they are aiming for crowd empathy. Given the fact you all seem so outraged by all the is, it's clearly working.

• Paid Members

He beat John Cena clean. Why does he have to be an underdog after that? Have you been watching WWE over the last year? He got over before this storyline. You seen to think he has suddenly got over since the Triple H heel turn. He was far more over at SummerSlam than he is now, so your point is a strange one.

Archived