The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

6 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think we’ll see some movement around the draft. It’ll be interesting to see if there’s any last min trades during the event.

Dwight Howard traded to the Nets yesterday. It’s crazy to see what’s happened to his career since he left the Magic. Basically the Nets now have two max salary slots going forward from 2019. I do wonder if they could attract any big names...

Dwight was great for the Magic and was very reminiscent of Shaq in his heyday there. I think he had back surgery and never really bounced back. Essentially he became a journeyman and D-Rose career followed a similar trajectory too. Makes you think in hindsight how players like Dirk who wants to play his 21st season in the NBA,LeBron etc are still consistently great over the years. But if injury takes it toll and impacts your game then its super difficult to be the player you once were. 

Draft should be fun, I think trades will go down, draft picks switching teams etc. Seems a good place for a rebuild or to rejig your team. The Suns might move their pick as a trade piece or alternatively as a foundation for the future. 

I have heard not so good things about 2k18 with the OTT micro transactions so I skipped it. I think Live could step in its place if they keep it simple and don't overload the game with transactions like 2K has. The NBA live mobile game is quite fun too.

7 hours ago, Really Big Shoe said:

Dwight was great for the Magic and was very reminiscent of Shaq in his heyday there. I think he had back surgery and never really bounced back. Essentially he became a journeyman and D-Rose career followed a similar trajectory too. Makes you think in hindsight how players like Dirk who wants to play his 21st season in the NBA,LeBron etc are still consistently great over the years. But if injury takes it toll and impacts your game then its super difficult to be the player you once were. 

Draft should be fun, I think trades will go down, draft picks switching teams etc. Seems a good place for a rebuild or to rejig your team. The Suns might move their pick as a trade piece or alternatively as a foundation for the future. 

I have heard not so good things about 2k18 with the OTT micro transactions so I skipped it. I think Live could step in its place if they keep it simple and don't overload the game with transactions like 2K has. The NBA live mobile game is quite fun too.

If you have a PS4, Live 18 is 9 quid on the PSN summer sale right now. Absolutely worth it. The awesome career is worth it alone.

Thoughts on the draft? I'm actually happy that the Knicks picked Knox. I love his attitude and what I've seen of him so far. I'm actually excited to watch the team this year. I know we won't win much, but I want to see the young guys get out and play under Fizdale. I felt that Hornacek held the younger dudes back last season. Glad he's out now.

Edited by Art Vandelay

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Enjoy! 'The One' mode is awesome and Live 19 is looking even better and so much smoother.

I love the individual career modes in sport games and it's the mode I play most.  I love the 2k ones but heard nothing but bad stuff about their latest, so will plough a lot of hours into this one I think!

Knox gets a mention in FiveThirtyEights draft review. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-teams-made-the-biggest-gambles-on-nba-draft-night/

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I love the individual career modes in sport games and it's the mode I play most.  I love the 2k ones but heard nothing but bad stuff about their latest, so will plough a lot of hours into this one I think!

Knox gets a mention in FiveThirtyEights draft review. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-teams-made-the-biggest-gambles-on-nba-draft-night/

On paper, the idea of an open world basketball career mode is awesome - but 2K just messed it up badly. It's a chore to play, the world itself is dull and everything is micro-transactioned. You can't even change your guy's hair without paying to even see a preview of it. Live's 'The One' is just so much fun and going between the league and the streets is awesome. The ESPN integration with First Take and all the history of the street courts is great too. Apparantly they've really expanded on it for 19 as well.

Re: Knox...I want to see him and Frank both start next season. I like Frank, but like I said, I kinda think he was held back by a bad coach last season.

5 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Thoughts on the draft? I'm actually happy that the Knicks picked Knox. I love his attitude and what I've seen of him so far. I'm actually excited to watch the team this year. I know we won't win much, but I want to see the young guys get out and play under Fizdale. I felt that Hornacek held the younger dudes back last season. Glad he's out now.

Michael Porter Jr if healthy will be a big pick up for the Nuggets. Apparently he might sit out the summer league. Maybe for the best so he's fit for the start of the regular season.

I thought The Suns & Hawks drafted well. I think Dallas could possibly have their next Dirk and he has a track record of success in Europe already. Could be one to watch and probably the most NBA ready player.

The Knicks fans were booing the Knox pick but they did the same with Porz and look how he turned out. I'm guessing they wanted Porter Jr who if at 100% would have went at #1 anyway, so its a good pick for them and gives him the added incentive to win over the Knicks fan base.

Its a wait and see now to see how successful the picks turn out. Some will play overseas to develop so we wouldn't see them in the league yet. Although teams with a need right now (The Suns for example) will start their rookies or in the least they'll get game time. Others limited minutes so they can grow and improve. 

I don't know whether LeBron has made the right move. The Western conference is stacked talent wise so it doesn't guarantee even a top 8 playoff place. I do believe the Lakers will make the playoffs but he'll be going up against the Spurs, Rockets, Thunder & of course, the Warriors. There's also the Suns who could be a surprise package next season. I think he should have stayed in the East and went to the Celtics. They have Kyrie and Hayward plus they have a good coach and young players who'd have got better playing alongside LeBron.

With LA, you have a lot more pressure. There's that history with the Showtime Lakers coached by Pat Riley and the Phil Jackson Lakers of Shaq and Kobe. Plus if he doesn't succeed in LA, does it tarnish his legacy and standing alongside the all time greats. Magic Johnson, Kareem, Kobe, Shaq all great players and with championship rings to back up their credentials whilst playing for LA. So LeBron has to at least win one championship there to cement his legacy.

I see a similar situation to this past season in Cleveland but there's more chance he'll fall at an earlier hurdle because depending on their playoff berth, you will still end up facing the Warriors. They are the Showtime Lakers of the modern era and I can't see that dynasty derailing.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:09 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Live's 'The One' is just so much fun and going between the league and the streets is awesome

It sure is!  Love the intensity of the streets games and using that as a base for the league games, an excellent approach to career mode.  Really enjoying it thus far and I'm only about 3 months in to the season (Got drafted 1st round 4th pick to Orlando)

4 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Boogie Cousins signing with the Warriors! Man, the NBA is crazy! 😂

Yep, even crazier, Dwight wants back in LA. They've signed McGee and Rondo now too along with Stephenson. I think LeBron if he wanted to go West he should have gone to the Rockets. At least there you have CP3 and Harden. Plus they are a team who don't mess around and D'Antoni is a really good coach for them. The Lakers could implode before it even begins, I can't see Rajon Rondo co-existing with Bron, I think theyll have a falling out. Luke Walton will have his work cut out dealing with all this. If the Lakers manage to do the unthinkable and dethrone the Warriors surely LeBron would arguably be in the top 3 discussion for greatest NBA player of all time. 

On 6/22/2018 at 1:55 AM, jimufctna24 said:

Add me to those who are enjoying NBA Live 18. 

I find it very easy to pick up and play. Which is exactly the sort of game that I was looking for. 

16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It sure is!  Love the intensity of the streets games and using that as a base for the league games, an excellent approach to career mode.  Really enjoying it thus far and I'm only about 3 months in to the season (Got drafted 1st round 4th pick to Orlando)

Just a heads up, if you now have Live 18, you can pre-order Live 19 with £20 off through the main menu of the game. I did mine last night. Just make sure you update the game and the offer will appear. That makes it half the price of the 2K19 special edition that’s released the same day.

Oh and there’s another bit of footage too. It was made before all the recent free agency moves, FYI.