The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Thought I'd start a thread for NBA chat. In my opinion, it's the best US sport by a mile and I know we have quite a few fans on here.

EDIT: The 2015-16 is now over and the Cleveland Cavaliers are your champions! Here's an awesome recap of the Finals:

I'll update this original post as the 2016-17 season gets closer! :thumbsup:

Edited by Art Vandelay

Huge NBA fan.

I've already pre-ordered both for PS4, but EA have compared themselves to the Cavs, which I would suggest is not claiming to be the best at this moment in time, but give it a few years and it may very well be.

I'm hyped for Live 14 though, it does look awesome. The series needs to shake off the negative stigma surrounding it and actually put out a title this year and I think we can expect a half decent game this year. My main problem with past live titles was that the gameplay felt a little wooden, especially in comparison to 2K, which I agree with you has been the best sports game out for the past few years now, by a distance too.

I'm skipping current gen 2K14, even though I'm desperate for a new hoops game. With the ps4 coming so soon, I'm doing the same as you and getting both titles next gen.

Did you see James Harden's face in that trailer? Jeez...

http://nba2k4life.com/wp-content/uploads/2...-gen-harden.png

EA's bounce-tek thing sounds very interesting and I'm interested to see if it will really be the x-factor they are claiming it will be.

The graphics look fantastic for Live. I think that the stats changing hourly is interesting too, should keep it fresh. I read they've got one more surprise to unveil at the end of October. If it's Ultimate Team I'm going to be very happy.

2K looks like it might have had a lazy year as far as current gen goes, they haven't added any new legends teams ( which is my favourite part of the last few years) and although it's a substantial roster, there's huge gaps which are unacceptable. No Charles Barkley or Kareem is pretty fucking piss poor. To include a classic Kings team without Chris Webber was baffling too, they've been axed this year though. Still, on gameplay merit alone, the game is fantastic and has been for years. It's an exciting time to be a basketball game fan.

I'm hoping for a good TV deal this season for the NBA. I enjoyed ESPN's coverage last season and I liked that we got the direct US feed for the games. The Sky primetime Sunday games were great too.

I've heard that Sky have signed a new deal with the NBA, but no details have been announced. For what it's worth, next week's Manchester game between OKC and the 76ers is live on BT Sport as well, so perhaps that's a sign of things to come?

I'm hoping for a good TV deal this season for the NBA. I enjoyed ESPN's coverage last season and I liked that we got the direct US feed for the games. The Sky primetime Sunday games were great too.

I've heard that Sky have signed a new deal with the NBA, but no details have been announced. For what it's worth, next week's Manchester game between OKC and the 76ers is live on BT Sport as well, so perhaps that's a sign of things to come?

I'm pretty sure that BT have got some form of TV deal as they have been including clips of the NBA on their coming soon adverts all summer long and the fact they are showing the Manchester game next week.

I guess Sky won't start their coverage until the Nets/Hawks game at the 02 in January like last season and then have the Sunday primetime games fill the vacant spot left behind in the schedule after the NFL season ends.

The only way to get the most comprehensive coverage is through League Pass though which has been improved this season to include a premium offering which includes a 24 hour stream of NBA TV direct from the States as well as the option to listen to either home or away commentary.

Sky have dropped the BBL for this season which has been picked up for a 1 hour weekly highlights show on British Eurosport which will feature highlights from the 30 live games been shown through the BBL own website.

No news on Euroleague TV deal but the Perform Group have put a online package together featuring a variety of FIBA world tournament at various age grades as various basketball leagues around the world including the CBA as well as including Euroleague and Eurocup.

I'm pretty sure that BT have got some form of TV deal as they have been including clips of the NBA on their coming soon adverts all summer long and the fact they are showing the Manchester game next week.

I guess Sky won't start their coverage until the Nets/Hawks game at the 02 in January like last season and then have the Sunday primetime games fill the vacant spot left behind in the schedule after the NFL season ends.

The only way to get the most comprehensive coverage is through League Pass though which has been improved this season to include a premium offering which includes a 24 hour stream of NBA TV direct from the States as well as the option to listen to either home or away commentary.

Sky have dropped the BBL for this season which has been picked up for a 1 hour weekly highlights show on British Eurosport which will feature highlights from the 30 live games been shown through the BBL own website.

No news on Euroleague TV deal but the Perform Group have put a online package together featuring a variety of FIBA world tournament at various age grades as various basketball leagues around the world including the CBA as well as including Euroleague and Eurocup.

Yeah, if we get a split deal between BT and Sky, I'd be happy. As mentioned, I loved that ESPN gave us the direct US feed last time including the TNT halftime shows etc. Hopefully BT do the same. I reckon Sky will start their coverage sooner, but won't really push it hard until the London game.

I've already signed up to league pass. Loved it last season, but always do like a TV deal in place so that we get the halftime shows etc as well.

It's a shame that Sky have dropped the BBL, but they never really did get behind the league at all. I'm a big BBL fan and attend all of the Glasgow Rocks games (the Emirates Arena is fantastic) and would love to see it pished harder here. Basketball is an ideal sport for this country, given our crap weather and if we only just gave a little more media attention to our own league, the game would probably grow.

Yeah a split deal is best for the League as it gives expands the potential TV reach of the league, I'd be surprised to see Sky start earlier for a number of reasons but it would be good to see Sky follow the league from the start of the season.

I wish basketball was bigger in the UK than it is but I can't see much growth really as we need to be developing our own talent instead of propping the BBL with college rejects , hell we don't even know if we have a national team to support for much longer after Team GB failed to meet the targets set at Eurobasket which I guess will lead to the loss of lottery funding and that will be the end of all the good work done prior to the Olympics.

Edited by Adam619

I hope to at least see the NBA reach the heights that the NFL has in the UK. Loads of folk I work with are in love with American Football and it all seems to have came from nowhere. i think the NBA is much more accessible than the NFL, so hopefully it continues to grow here too.

Sounds like a brilliant evening, jammy git winning the tickets! Kevin Durant is my favourite player in the entire organisation. He's so humble, likeable and seriously fucking good. If he doesn't win a title with the Thunder I'll be gutted. I saw him live at the Olympics and it's incredible how fast he is for his size. I didn't go last night as it's a bit too far for me to travel for a friendly, but I did go to the Knicks Pistons game at the o2 last season. I think this thread should be changed to the NBA thread.

The new season should be a good one, if Derrick Rose stays fit all year and has his explosiveness back, I can see the Bulls coming out of the East this year. I still don't see Brooklyn getting out of the first round, as much as I love KG and Pierce, I think they'll flop there massively. It'll be an interesting year for many franchises, Lakers and Celtics are both going to tank for Wiggins next year I feel, he's a game changer from day one.

As someone a bit out the loop. Are the Magic looking good this year?

I bought NBA 2k last when they first signed up Jordan, its was outstanding. Having to pass to Jordan in almost every exchange against the 80's Celtics was in retrospect a right laugh.

How do we get the thread title changed?

Nah, Magic are definitely not a playoff team this year. I can see them tanking, although in retrospect, they definitely came out on the positive end of the whole Dwight Howard saga!

Rose has looked like he hasn't lost a single step in terms of explosiveness in the pre-season so far. I'm VERY excited for the opening night game against the Heat, especially after watching this: