PROGRESS Chapter Ten: Glory Follows Virtue As If It Were Its Shadow

ThisIsProgress

It was superb! I have never, buzzed so much about a British wrestling show the day after. From the cocaine fueled conga through the surprise appearance of the ROH/PWG World champ to the kinda Poznan at The Riots to Osprey and Eddie cornering... to the off the chart intense last fifteen minutes... Utterly fantastic.

For me the key is that pretty much everything on the show matters. Everything clearly progresses (no pun intended) from the last show and leaves you wanting something more on the next. Every match and angle has a purpose and clearly develops storylines or characters... In my experience of indie wrestling, particularly today, this depth of storylines is rare.

Odd little anecdote...

My girlfriend came to meet me after the show and was waiting outside. These three guys approached, one with a pink steel chair, lurking around the entrance. She got chatting to them and they said they were part of the show. She asked them if they were there to hurt anyone and requested they didn't. They said 'It's our fucking job love!'

The three men, one with a pink chair, then went inside and blew the roof off The Garage! At this point the bouncers invited my girlfriend in to watch what her new friends were doing on the screen in the entrance. She was shocked at their brutality, but after months of me trying to convince her of coming to a wrestling show falling on deaf ears... Five minutes of hanging out with The London Riots and Jimmy Havoc has got her hooked!

She will be ordering a ticket for Chapter 11 tonight.

It was superb! I have never, buzzed so much about a British wrestling show the day after. From the cocaine fueled conga through the surprise appearance of the ROH/PWG World champ to the kinda Poznan at The Riots to Osprey and Eddie cornering... to the off the chart intense last fifteen minutes... Utterly fantastic.

For me the key is that pretty much everything on the show matters. Everything clearly progresses (no pun intended) from the last show and leaves you wanting something more on the next. Every match and angle has a purpose and clearly develops storylines or characters... In my experience of indie wrestling, particularly today, this depth of storylines is rare.

Odd little anecdote...

My girlfriend came to meet me after the show and was waiting outside. These three guys approached, one with a pink steel chair, lurking around the entrance. She got chatting to them and they said they were part of the show. She asked them if they were there to hurt anyone and requested they didn't. They said 'It's our fucking job love!'

The three men, one with a pink chair, then went inside and blew the roof off The Garage! At this point the bouncers invited my girlfriend in to watch what her new friends were doing on the screen in the entrance. She was shocked at their brutality, but after months of me trying to convince her of coming to a wrestling show falling on deaf ears... Five minutes of hanging out with The London Riots and Jimmy Havoc has got her hooked!

She will be ordering a ticket for Chapter 11 tonight.

I saw her! I was standing by the door waiting to dive out to make my flight home, I wondered who she was...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived