UFC 166: Velasquez vs Dos Santos III

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, JDS vs Overeem is a fight that should happen if possible. Twice that's been signed and twice it's fallen apart on Overeem's side. If Overeem beats Mir, then JDS vs Overeem around April or May next year is a no brainer.

Another option could be JDS vs Stipe Miocic. Stipe's not booked is he? I can't remember. That's a fight that kind of makes sense now. Stipe's earned a big fight with the Nelson win, and it's a fight that suits JDS's style so could be a good rebound fight for him like Hunt was.

Ideally I'd like JDS vs Overeem though. Surely it can't fall through a third time?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stipe could face the winner of Hunt/Big Foot or the loser of Browne/Barnett.

I honestly think if Overeem beats Mir (which most think he will) that we will finally get JDS vs Reem, probably in Brazil as well. I like JDS to beat Reem, the only way I think to beat JDS is to keep him either on the fence or on the back foot, I do not see Reem being able to do that for 3-5 rounds.

I'm going to have to re-watch this card again, but from the main card I didn't see the hyperbole of "one of the greatest cards ever" that Rogan was spouting, but I admittedly missed the prelims and the first two rounds of Melendez/Sanchez. So, I've downloaded the show, but based on what I saw:

Dodson is a scary dude. That kind of power at 125 is ridiculous. Montague is tough as hell for taking the beating as long as he did, hopefully he gets a second shot in the UFC. Dodson is kind of stuck as the clear no. 3 flyweight behind Benavidez and Johnson, and he was probably the most competitive with DJ that anyone has been. I'd like to see Dodson welcome Jorgensen to Flyweight, that'd be a lot of fun.

Gonzaga continues to surprise me. Thought Jordan would run through him to get a name win on his resume. I'd like to see Gonzaga have an Indian Summer in his career, but he can't seem to find the consistency.

Melendez vs. Sanchez looked insane. Can't wait to see the full fight, although Rogan always overdoes the hype. Remember when Boetsch vs Okami was "THE GREATEST COMEBACK IN UFC HISTORY!!!"

Cormier vs. Nelson baffled me. Cormier obviously had the advantage in speed and athleticism, although Nelson wasn't sucking wind quite as badly as he has in the past. I just don't get Cormier settling into this "getting the W" mentality so early into his career. He comes across like an intelligent guy, he has to know that the majority of fans aren't clamouring to see him fight Jones after the Mir and Nelson fights. Dana talked after the PPV about telling fighters to be like Gustaffson and put it all on the line, everyone seemed to follow that bar DC. That was extremely slow and plodding. Cormier talked about wanting to stand and put on more exciting fights, I don't see it.

Cain vs. JDS was a one sided mauling. Cain and Cormier had a similar strategy, but Cain was much more aggressive. Huge credit to JDS for his chin and heart, but he needs to work on his clinching and defense. This cemented JDS as the clear no. 2 HW, no controversy or excuses this time. Unfortunate that after that grueling battle, JDS essentially knocked himself out.

Very good show, hoping the prelims and the rest of Melendez/Sanchez push in into the uber category that people have been rating it. Cormier vs. Nelson left a really sour taste in my mouth.

Cormier vs. Nelson baffled me. Cormier obviously had the advantage in speed and athleticism, although Nelson wasn't sucking wind quite as badly as he has in the past. I just don't get Cormier settling into this "getting the W" mentality so early into his career. He comes across like an intelligent guy, he has to know that the majority of fans aren't clamouring to see him fight Jones after the Mir and Nelson fights. Dana talked after the PPV about telling fighters to be like Gustaffson and put it all on the line, everyone seemed to follow that bar DC. That was extremely slow and plodding. Cormier talked about wanting to stand and put on more exciting fights, I don't see it.

Dana disagrees with you I think. When Nelson claimed that Cormier didn't really engage with him White's response was;

"He said Cormier wasn't engaging enough," White said. "He outwrestled him, and he punched the living s--t out of him. How much more does he want to be engaged? He says some dumb s--t, and he's very delusional"

I'm not sure if that's White reacting like that simply because it was Roy who said it right enough.

• Paid Members
Assuming he dispatches the latest batch of contenders to the Light Heavyweight belt, what are the chances of Jon Jones going up to Heavyweight to take on Cain?

I think that's a very good possibility. The older Jones gets, the harder it will be for him to cut weight too. If he beefs up his legs then he will be massive heavyweight.

Regarding the Cormier/Big Country debate, Big Country is talking out of his backside. From my perspective, Cormier was more than engaging in the fight and was utterly outclassing Nelson with his combinations.

From round 2 I don't even think Cormier went for a takedown. Crazy response from Nelson. Yes, Cormier wasn't going in for the kill, but he was landing shot after shot. In the end, Nelson just doesn't get KO'd, so for me, Cormier's gameplan and attack was perfect.

Add me to the Nelson talking shit camp, unfortunately. Sure, Cormier didn't engage in a total toe to toe war with Roy, but why would he do that? He mixed it up, and any time they went toe to toe it was clear that Cormier was too fast and too skilled for Nelson.

I like Roy, but he's not top five material at heavyweight. He's a fun fighter who has a perennial place in the middle of any PPV card, which isn't to be sniffed at.

Unless he continues to poke at his boss for no reason at all. Sometimes I wonder if he wants to get sacked.

• Paid Members
Assuming he dispatches the latest batch of contenders to the Light Heavyweight belt, what are the chances of Jon Jones going up to Heavyweight to take on Cain?

Prior to the Sonnen fight Jones and his camp were talking about him giving up the belt and doing a few super fights against Silva and one of the two big heavyweights, once he had solidly beaten Ortiz's 5 fight record (Jones is now on 6). Talk of it went a bit quiet after the Sonnen fight, but if everything goes well I can't see it not happening.

Part of the reason why Jones is so good is his raging ego. Jones wants to prove himself to be the GOAT and if he can dominate in a few more fights in the LHW division and get that Gustaffson monkey off his back, then he'll probably fancy himself against Velasquez.

It's a fight that sells its self, but you hope one of the two add a bit of sizzle by some degree of trash talking. Tyson needs to have a word with the pair of them, as this humble BS isn't cutting it.

• Paid Members

As I've said in the past, this is the only true superfight there is to book. As i've mentioned before, Silva/GSP, Silva/Jones, there's simply too much a size disadvantage for it to be truly fair. Cain and Jones however would be the ultimate superfight with both being in their prime and possess the games that suit each others style.

I guess the only other superfight in the future could be Pettis/Aldo. I'm glad that fight was cancelled initially as I think Pettis needs to be the champion for a few defences at least .

• Paid Members

In the World of buyrates, Silva/GSP is still the holy grail for the UFC. Out of all the super fights mentioned, that's the biggest in terms of star power.

I get what you're saying, though. With Velasquez/Jones it's truly a 50/50 in who is the better fighter (if Jones bulks up and doesn't turn shit).

Dana disagrees with you I think. When Nelson claimed that Cormier didn't really engage with him White's response was;

"He said Cormier wasn't engaging enough," White said. "He outwrestled him, and he punched the living s--t out of him. How much more does he want to be engaged? He says some dumb s--t, and he's very delusional"

I'm not sure if that's White reacting like that simply because it was Roy who said it right enough.

Cormier was absolutely engaging, but he was doing it in a way that stifled Nelson completely and slowed the action down in stark contrast to everything on the card. Not saying that's bad, it's a smart way to fight, but it won't get many fans on his side, and the post-fight quote of "the plan of the fight was to show I could stand with him" was laughable. He chipped away in the clinch and rarely allowed enough separation for either man to get in any damaging strikes. "Punched the living shit of him" is just Dana in bullshit promoter mode. They like Cormier because he's articulate and has an Olympic background, a great rep for the sport, but he's shown himself to be content with just stifling his opponent rather than finishing him. As I said, Cain's strategy was similar to Cormier, but much more aggressive, effective and interesting.

Cormier wasn't running away or avoiding battle, he just used a smart strategy to win. Much like Condit vs. Diaz, might not be the most exciting version of the fight possible, but it's effective.

• Paid Members

first off, amazing show. Top to bottom one of my favorite fight cards ever. I'll add some random thoughts later on, but on the case of DC/Nelson...

It was probably the only muted fight on the show but it followed an absolute epic but it wasn't a stinker. You cannot fault DC with how he fought though, why would a guy stand in front of a dude who's only way of winning is by landing an overhand right? Roy Nelson needs to change up his game, the guy's right hand has been effective but whenever he's fought against someone that isn't stupid enough to stay in range of it he's lost badly, Roy doesn't even try to do anything else, it's hard to watch sometimes cause he's blowing like fuck and all he wants to do is throw a right hand. Don't get me wrong, it's fun when it lands but if it doesn't he has no hope of winning.

Stop fucking whinging Roy and sort yourself out, he's basically crying because DC didn't let him hit him.

• Paid Members
Cormier wasn't running away or avoiding battle, he just used a smart strategy to win. Much like Condit vs. Diaz, might not be the most exciting version of the fight possible, but it's effective.

I disagree with you Shane. DC's display was completely different. Condit was more a "pop pop pop" then run away and circle. This is what frustrated Diaz. Condit did refuse to engage. DC however at no point ran away or refuse to engage. DC outclassed Nelson in the stand up with his athleticism and combinations. If anything during these combo's he smothered Nelson, rather than keeping the distance like Condit did.

Archived