UFC 166: Velasquez vs Dos Santos III

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm most excited about Melendez/Sanchez, it has FOTN written all over it and I can't decide who I want to win, I like the idea of Melendez facing Pettis at some point but I've always had a soft spot for Diego..

Main event isn't getting me so excited, not sure why I was counting the days for the first fight and the second was also one I was gripped by but this time I'm not so fussed who wins.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm way behind on the hype for this. Still got episodes 2 and 3 of Primetime and the Countdown to watch yet. Then there's the weigh in today.

You wonder what kind of shape Roy Nelson is turning up in, as he was saying how rubbish his training camp was. If Nelson loses you feel it will be an age until he's back in the title picture. Which is a shame, because his mullet/beard.

From what I read, Nelson is supposed to have actually dropped a little bit of weight. Roy used to help train fighters like Forrest Griffin before he started MMA himself so he knows what needs to be done. I suppose the real risk is how much will he really push himself if left to his own devices? He looked cack cardio-wise against Stipe Miocic in June so I guess that's been a big reason why he's tried to slim down a bit (if he has). We'll see on the scales I suppose. He's pretty much got a punchers chance against Cormier anyway IMO. It's a bad match for him. Outside of that Big Country haymaker connecting, I can't really see much of a route to victory. He's not going to be taking Cormier down and I think Cormier is the better overall striker. Tough fight for Roy. You never know though. Big punchers always have a shot. Smart money would be on DC though.

Can't wait for Cain vs JDS 3 and Melendez vs Sanchez.

• Paid Members
The good news is the Athletic Commission have told Cormier to fuck off and that they have no right over controlling a persons facial hair.

I've been against Nelson for a while, but I'm praying he puts Comier to sleep.

I personally believe Cormier is right with this MOM. Whilst Dana agrees with me, its not for the same reasons. I've brought up this before, but a beard thickness should be really regulated. With how thick that thing is, imagine how much that thing absorbs punishment wise? You can't even see Nelson's chin. Hitting Nelson with an uppercut in particular would be less effective.

Beards should be allowed, but within a certain length. Boxing wouldn't allow beards like Nelson's and neither should MMA.

• Paid Members
Oh I'm not disputing that, more because Cormier's reasoning for wanting it shaved off was to "mess with Roy's head" rather than thinking he had any kind chin protection.

That's true, although I actually believe that the reasons I've mentioned are Cormier's real motivation behind it. However if he came out saying that his punches won't be effective against a beard perhaps it may make him look weak?

• Paid Members

Weigh ins are done, and impressively Hector Lombard weighed in at 169. He says he woke up at 165 and ate breakfast and is feeling great. He looked like a beast too.

Big country looked in shape too and Cormier weighed in at 224.

My heart says JDS, my head says Cain.

I am just going to be screaming, "tag and run" during the first round. I just hope JDS can keep Cain on the outside, but I fear he will not. Cain is probably going to be the best HW of all time ,in my book if he wins, but as a person he is boring, inoffensive but boring.

Outside of that Big Country haymaker connecting, I can't really see much of a route to victory. He's not going to be taking Cormier down and I think Cormier is the better overall striker. Tough fight for Roy.

This.

Cormier whatever is said is pretty classy, you can say a lot about Nelson's power, heart and chin, but classy is not one of them. Cormier wins by dominating and being a more complete and modern MMA fighter.

• Paid Members

Link-a-mania;

Primetime: Velasquez vs Dos Santos 3 - Episode 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=gtbrUaY96ZE

Countdown: Velasquez vs Dos Santos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=aMOuUy5a6uA

Countdown: Nelson vs Cormier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=4VwazJeTybI

Countdown: Melendez vs Sanchez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=Tzg9CjnQdRI

Weigh ins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=ex--OIa2th8

I've finally caught up on everything. Can't fucking wait for tonight now.

Primetime's been good. There's been better ones - Rousey vs Carmouche and Diaz vs Condit were the best Primetimes IMO, and some of the best stuff the UFC has ever put out for promoting those fights. This wasn't that same kind of thing. Neither are huge personalities, neither really go in for trash talk. But it's got me even more pumped for the fight tonight all the same. It deserved the attention of the three episodes.

The Countdown bits were decent. I liked the Cain vs JDS-Ali vs Frazier trilogy comparisons. The Nelson vs Cormier part was good. Kind of surprised they showed the clip of Nelson's 'Uncle Tom' comment. Melendez vs Sanchez only got about 4 minutes but it was interesting enough. I didn't realise they had so much history, training together and staying at each others houses and all that.

Hector Lombard looked great at the weigh ins. A bit gaunt in the face as you might expect but he looked in tremendous shape, leaner and shredded and came in at 169. I wonder if the stuff about him struggling with the cut earlier in the week was put out by his team, hoping Marquardt would underestimate him. He looked energetic as well. Wasn't moving like a zombie like you see when some guys cut a lot of weight for the first time. We'll see tonight. Can't tell a great deal from weigh ins but he looked good.

lombard-side-side.jpg

Weigh in staredowns;

Cain vs JDS

cain-jds_3.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Cormier vs Nelson

Cormier-Nelson.jpg

Melendez vs Sanchez

Gil-Diego.jpg

The Melendez-Sanchez staredown was intense as you'd expect. Lots of jawing and chest pumping. They were still on the stage chatting shit to each other as Roy Nelson was coming out. Sanchez looks well up for this. Looks in good shape as well. Could be a incredible fight if they both bring their A games. I think Melendez wins no matter what form Sanchez is in but hopefully wildman Sanchez turns up. The one who had the crazy wars with Guida, Parisyan, Thiago, Kampmann etc. Not the plodding, lethargic Diego who fought Gomi last time out. There was talk he came in hurt against Gomi to be fair so I'm sure he'll look better tonight.

Few other stray observations from the weigh in...

*Sotiropoulous has grown his hair out. And he must have the weirdest chest in MMA since Tra Telligman. Saggy chest, nipples down by his belly. He looks like a really in shape Greek chippy owner.

*I don't know too much about Jessica Eye. Other than she's got a good record (10-1 with wins over Carina Damm and Zoila Gurgel), and after seeing the weigh in, a very nice arse as well.

On a more serious, less shallow point, I'm really looking forward to Sarah Kaufman vs Jessica Eye. From bits I've seen Eye is a good fighter and Kaufman usually brings the excitement to her fights. She's had some of my favourite womens fights the last couple of years and I can see this being a belter.

If you haven't seen Kaufman vs Leslie Smith from Invicta a few months ago, give it a watch;

Kaufman vs Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=shENSKyW3y8

You won't regret it. Probably my WMMA FOTY so far this year.

My picks for tonight are;

Cain by decision

Cormier by decision

Melendez by decision

Lombard by KO

But I'm hoping JDS pulls another KO out of the bag tonight.

Primetime was pretty good, if JDS is not a big personality, he is still really likable and the "Junior Shoes" bit was hilarious. The whole series will never be vital viewing on how to sell a PPV, but it was a decent enough build to a big fight, it was very much like 24/7.

I agree the fight deserved a Primetime, its a rubber fight for the Heavyweight belt and could have great legacy significance in 5 years time.

• Paid Members

Ha, I forgot the 'Junior shoes' bit.

Has anyone seen the recent comments from Cain where he's apparently claiming he deliberately held back in the second fight? I think Dana was on about it recently. Something like 'I didn't want to knock him out or submit him. I wanted to punish him the full 25 minutes.' I'll take that with a big fuck off pinch of salt. 1) it doesn't sound like something Cain would come out with. When do you ever hear Cain talking about punishing people. 2) it'd be a foolish tactic to use against such a dangerous fighter like JDS. You'd want to put him away at the earliest opportunity not take the risk of him landing a 5th round come-from-behind KO just because you want to drag out the beating. And 3) it's bollocks. Cain was clearly trying to end the fight. There was that big punch in round 1 where he went nuts trying to put JDS away. There was the headkick later. About a million punches on the ground. Fuck, he even tried an armbar. He wanted to finish.

I think this is Dana trying to inject some trash talk where there isn't any. Just like when GSP supposedly went mad and said he wanted to 'put the worst beating in the world ever on Nick Diaz.'

Gotta admit, I would love to see Roy Nelson knock Cormier out tonight

I thought you'd be pulling for DC. You usually support the AKA boys don't you? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

I must be one of the only Cormier fans around. Every time I read about him people seem to want him to lose but I really like him. I don't get what people dislike. I think people were overly harsh on his performance against Mir. He seems like a good guy as well. I thought he came across great on Fight Factory and I've been a fan ever since. I'm pretty neutral on him vs Nelson.

• Paid Members
I want to see Nelson win in spectacular fashion just to annoy Dana :laugh:

Actually, now you say that, that's probably a big part of the reason so many seem to be rooting against Cormier for this fight. I can't deny, part of why I want JDS to win tonight is because I'd love to see Dana and Joe Rogan's faces after.

I liked Nelson's comment on his and Dana's relationship in the Countdown;

"With me and Dana it's like a husband and wife. I do the man's jobs around the house. He just does a lot of yapping."

Archived