UFC 166: Velasquez vs Dos Santos III

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
But...it's worth remembering that JDS basically got knocked out in round 1 and fought on for another 20 minutes. Yeah he got dominated but considering he never seemed to recover from that early punch, it's incredible that he made the final bell at all. And no matter how many times Cain took him down, he kept popping back up. Like a Brazilian Michael Myers.

That's a great point, it definitely played a big part in how the first fight turned out.

I'm still picking Cain though.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JDS has some stern words during Primetime about the commentary during his second fight with Cain.

Rogan needs to calm the fuck down and stop following the same narrative during fights, its not the first time he has taken up a position in a fight, then refused to mention the other side of events as the fight progresses. His wankathon over Cain in the second fight was not needed, it was already a commanding performance to underline him as Champion, without Rogan offering unbalanced drivel.

I believe Anik was with him that night, my theory is that Anik cannot control Rogan. Whatever is said about Goldy, I think he does control Rogan a tad more, I remember Goldy correcting Rogan that Ramage/Griffin was a close fight some years back, after Rogan was ejaculating over Forrest all night long.

MMA commentary is long need of a revamp in my view, at least relics like Rutten and Quadros admit they were off their time and their style does not hold up anymore now the sport has gone more mainstream. Rogan and Anik you get the worse of both worlds, boring and unappealing in Anik, and blithering nonsense from Rogan.

Oh and Primetime was not bad by the way, nothing outstanding but worth a watch.

• Paid Members

Rogan definitely goes off on tangeants, he gets the blinkers on and completely disregards anything one guy is doing.

I diss Rogan as much as anyone, but i still like him in the booth.

• Paid Members

Personally, I'd be giving Rogan's spot to Brian Stann. Stann is an articulate bloke that has fought at the top level of the sport recently, so truly knows what's going on.

Rogan is a bit like Andy Gray during his last few years at Sky Sports, for me. He's synonymous with the big fight atmosphere and presentation (so has his pluses), but he's arguably a bit of a fossil in todays climate. Especially when you've got your Gary Neville-types like Sonnen and Stann coming in and doing a better job.

• Paid Members

I always used to say that Rogan annoys me sometimes but I wouldn't want him replaced. But to be honest, if he fucked off to just smoke weed and do podcasts full-time and Brian Stann took his place as commentator, I doubt I'd miss him at this point. Won't happen though. Rogan's got the gig as long as he wants it while Dana's the boss.

I agree Jim. Goldberg does seem able to reign Rogan in better. Even as recently as the Jones-Gustafsson fight where Rogan was trying to blame it on Jones' toe injury, Goldberg kind of dismissed it.

I really enjoyed Primetime. They're not the kind of fighters who are going to talk shit for the sake of it. They're just two big intense bastards who want the same piece of gold. And when they do have a dig, it holds more weight because you know they're not the type to create bullshit hype.

JDS seems to have a bit of an edge to him for this fight though, which I like. He seemed genuinely pissed off with the commentary for the second fight, and I don't blame him.

"In the first fight, I didn't fight the real Cain Velasquez? No, I fought the real Cain Velasquez. The thing was, after one minute, he was on the ground taking punches in the face."

It was a one sided fight so by default the commentary would have to be a little one sided as well. All they really had to talk about was what Cain was doing. I get that. But Rogan was really up Cain's arse all night. There seemed to be genuine joy in his voice when he was saying 'Dos Santos is getting destroyed. I've said this before but I think a big part of why he was cheerleading Cain so much was because he's been one of the most vocal bumlickers of Cain over the years. He was calling Cain the future of the division back when Cain was only 6 or 7 fights into his career. There was meant to be hype on him even before his pro debut for fuck's sake. And I think when JDS wiped out Cain in a minute it made all those people look silly. Especially because JDS came into the UFC with absolutely fuck all fanfare or hype. He was brought in to lose to Werdum. Cain was brought in to be the new Mexican star. The Great Mexican Hope. So when Cain wrecked JDS in the rematch, it was as much a redemption for Rogan and all the other hypers as it was for Cain.

Again, I'm not saying any of this as a knock on Cain. I'm a fan of both these two and Cain can't help it if people were hyping him up, it's out of his control. I just find it really grating when promotion and commentary seem to be biased one way. The Pacquiao-Marquez rivalry in boxing is similar for me. I'm a huge fan of both but fuck me, the amount of shit spewed to try and discredit Marquez's KO win in their fourth fight was pathetic. People (including Larry Merchant on the commentary) were accusing Marquez of using steroids before the fight even started, then pointed to that as the reason he won post-fight. It reeked of sour grapes because the poster boy got starched. If it was Marquez who got decked, I doubt we'd have heard the same accusations. And with Cain vs JDS 1 - they both reportedly came in with bad knees. Yet if Cain had knocked out JDS in a minute, I seriously doubt there'd have been as much excuse making from the media/fans. It seemed like because that wasn't what 'was supposed to happen', there had to be an excuse. Similar thing with Weidman vs Silva actually.

Basically I hate the double standards. JDS beat Cain fair and square the first time (despite Cain's bad knee and "not following the gameplan"). Cain beat JDS fair and square in the rematch (despite JDS' going through a divorce/"overtraining"). All these 'excuses'/reasons are probably valid, but it doesn't taint the wins either way IMO.

I've gone on longer than I meant to.

Couple of other points on Primetime;

-It was cool seeing Cain meet Julio Cesar Chavez. Cain looked like a big kid. It must be weird when there's someone you idolised as a kid, who seems larger than life, then you grow up and meet them and you absolutely tower over them. Chavez looks like an old Lee Evans these days. If you weren't a boxing fan and you passed him in the street, you'd never think he was one of the most feared and legendary boxers of all-time.

-JDS saying about Cain - "He hit like a girl" must be a joke surely? Or trying to wind Cain up or something. He can't believe that. Cain is the only fighter to have hurt JDS with punches. Another nail in the coffin of the 'pillow fists' claim. Carwin, Hunt, Nelson, Yvel and Cro Cop couldn't hurt JDS, yet Cain 'Pillow Fists' Velasquez did.

Oh and there wasn't one lettuce stacked in episode one :)

• Paid Members

Primetime episode 2;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=YdGE0NudIpo

And for anyone who didn't catch them first time around, the UFC have uploaded the first two fights to their YouTube.

Cain vs JDS 1 (UFC on FOX 1 - Nov 2011);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=KnpX-3_etYY

Cain vs JDS 2 (UFC 155 - Dec 2012);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=pZgyYhSGSpU

• Paid Members

I think I'm staying up for this one. Should be a good card. I've found it really helpful getting to bed say 10/11 and setting the alarm for either 3 or 4, depending on the depth of the card. In the past if I've stayed up for the whole thing, i've struggled getting through to the end.

God bless the BT sport app on my nexus as well. The app broadcasts in HD too so i just stick my earphones on whilst my wife sleeps.

• Paid Members
what time UK times is all this kicking off? im contemplating watching it live for the first time in ages because im out Sunday evening and i dont wanna try rushing through it Sunday afternoon.

Facebook prelims at 11pm

FOX Sports/BT Sport prelims at 1am

Main card at 3am

I'll put that in the opening post actually.

The great Fedor Emelianenko's two penneth on Cain vs JDS 3;

"If Velasquez is going to stick to his usual gameplan, he's going to come out the winner. His biggest advantage is that he can transition, he can switch from one [style] to another. He's a thinking fighter."

• Paid Members
Personally, I'd be giving Rogan's spot to Brian Stann. Stann is an articulate bloke that has fought at the top level of the sport recently, so truly knows what's going on.

Rogan is a bit like Andy Gray during his last few years at Sky Sports, for me. He's synonymous with the big fight atmosphere and presentation (so has his pluses), but he's arguably a bit of a fossil in todays climate. Especially when you've got your Gary Neville-types like Sonnen and Stann coming in and doing a better job.

From what I've seen of Rogan fronting the shows I have to agree. He doesn't seem to be very neutral either which i find annoying but he's not shifting unless he ever felt the need for a promotion. Stann would be more helpful for a newbie like myself. I'm really looking forward to another show there's been some amazing fights of late.

• Paid Members

The more I watch the primetime and countdown shows the more I cannot wait for this. I think this is definitely one to stay up for.

I can't call the main event, my gut isn't telling me one thing or the other. Even the co main event, I'm undecided but leaning towards Cormier. Then there's the difficult Melendez/Sanchez fight and again, either could win.

Going further down the card you have Gonzaga/Jordan. I'm going Gonzaga by submission, and then the evening's first main card fight I'm going Dodson by knockout.

Then you have Hector Lombard's debut. I'm torn on this one. I would pick Lombard, but news is he's finding the weightcut hard and wants to go back to 185 after this. Not a good sign.

• Paid Members

UFC have done a tremendous job hyping this up as some sort of battle that will end with the World imploding, such is the ramifications of either man losing. I'm hoping JDS does us all a favour and ends the run of the incredibly dull Captain Mexico, thus setting up that JDS/Barnett feud we're all after.

You wonder what kind of shape Roy Nelson is turning up in, as he was saying how rubbish his training camp was. If Nelson loses you feel it will be an age until he's back in the title picture. Which is a shame, because his mullet/beard.

Archived