UFC 166: Velasquez vs Dos Santos III

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Now you mention it I vaguely remember something like that. Haven't seen that fight in years though. I want someone to go the whole hog though, little strut, a big 'Whooo' then slap on the figure four. Maybe slap the opponent in the face a bit if he doesn't tap quick enough. And hold onto the fence for leverage when the ref isn't looking.

Definitely! Any fighter who can pull that off will have me as a fan for life.

That's a thought, though - is it actually illegal in MMA to hold on to the cage to make yourself impossible to move?

• Paid Members
They're doing another 'Primetime' for this! How much interest can there be in watching Valasquez's dad stack lettuces for another half an hour?

Hopefully the UFC can do something better with Velasquez than "he's a former poor Mexican-American, with a Dad that still likes to work". The only thing of interest about Velasquez is that he's an exceptional fighter, hopefully they just play up the fact he's an arse kicking robot and not his shite tattoos.

At the very least JDS is engaging and seems like a genuine good guy.

The UFC seem determined to make Velasquez Captian Mexico, though, despite his constant assault of nothingness.

Yeah, Dave, what makes you think this event will be shit?

I dunno, I just see it playing out something like this;

Cormier vs Nelson - An easy decision win for Cormier. Lots of wrestling against the cage, with Cormier getting the better of the stand-up.

Melendez vs Sanchez - Diego comes out all hyped up, and Melendez outboxes him, keeping him at distance. Sanchez becomes disheartened and slowly fades as the fight ends in a unanimous decision with Sanchez all busted up.

Diego is 3-2 in his last five, with all of them ending in decisions.

Diego is also 3-2 in winning fight of the night, 5-3 in his last eight fights.

The main reason I am looking forward to this card is because of the Main. Despite most expecting Cain to win handily, there is nothing like a big time Heavyweight title fight. Even though it produces some of the biggest lummoxes you will ever see I still care about the Heavies, and the title picture around it, there are some lighter classes like 135lbs and 125lbs that currently I have no real attachment to.

Another thing about Cain vs JDS is that the atmosphere should be electric, and despite me being in the majority picking Cain, JDS will always be a threat with his boxing and power. I expect Cain to be a bit more measured/calculated with his attacks and finish JDS in the middle rounds, but who the fuck knows if JDS lands early he could be 2-1 against Cain.

I hope JDS does win.

• Paid Members

I'll start by saying, as I've said in the OP, that I've got Cain winning this. I'm more a JDS fan but objectively looking at their styles, you'd have to say Cain is the more well rounded mixed martial artist of the two. And with that comes more ways to win. He can mix it up and keep JDS guessing. He did that to a tee last time. JDS has breezed through better pure strikers than Cain. Guys like Cro Cop and Yvel could do nothing to him, and heavy hitters like Nelson and Carwin landed flush and JDS didn't seem to even notice. So why was Cain able to hurt him? It's all the element of surprise IMO. Cain came out constantly switching between wrestling and striking right out the gate and it flustered JDS. He didn't know when a takedown or a punch was coming. And Cain cracked him perfectly in the first round.

But...it's worth remembering that JDS basically got knocked out in round 1 and fought on for another 20 minutes. Yeah he got dominated but considering he never seemed to recover from that early punch, it's incredible that he made the final bell at all. And no matter how many times Cain took him down, he kept popping back up. Like a Brazilian Michael Myers.

My question is, what if Cain doesn't land that kind of shot early doors this time? Before that punch last time, JDS was doing very well stuffing Cain's shots. After the punch he was stumbling around like Herman Munster, that punch was the game changer.

And if you look at the later rounds, despite Rogan verbally licking Cain's arse out all fight and spouting the 'Cardio Cain' stuff, Cain gassed. Rewatch the fight and you'll see, he was almost as gassed as JDS by round 3 and 4. Cain himself admitted after the fight that he was fatigued. The problem for JDS was he'd taken so much early damage he couldn't capitalise.

That's what's interesting for me about this rubber match. Don't get me wrong, I think Cain will more than likely win. But I certainly don't see it as the sure thing most fans seem to. What happens this time if Cain isn't able to land that kind of damage early on, and then tires again? A tired JDS vs a tired Cain in the later rounds could look very different if JDS isn't still zombified this time.

JDS took an insane beating last time. Remember this?...

ufc155_12_velasquez_vs_jds_036-300x217.jpg

The difference is he survived. And we know JDS can stop Cain with one shot which makes it very interesting.

All that said, I'm going Cain on points. I think it's going to be a much tighter fight though. Maybe even a controversial decision or something. Just got a feeling we're in for a bit of an epic this time now both know the full extent of what the other can do to them.

The rounds did closer as they went on in Cain vs JDS 2 from what I recall, I do think Cain will be more measured, he was pushing such a pace for the first two rounds last time that even a featherweight would have struggled not to be gassed from it! I do agree JDS can take a hell of a beating, but if Cain attacks with pep at the right time, the ref may step in. Although you are making me think it will go the distance now.

I agree JDS will always be a threat with his boxing and timing, and maybe he will surprise people if he is "all there" this time around, but I think as said that Cain is just too well rounded and too seasoned too lose this one.

There is enough degree of doubt though for me to really look forward to this fight, its not like Cain is taking on a guy who is outside the top 5, it is the two best Heavies in the world throwing down, the gap to the 3rd and 4th best (arguably Barnett and Werdum) is quite vast in my opinion.

Primetime starts tonight in the US.

TV listings are showing BT Sport 2 as showing it also tonight at 2:30am, then again repeated at 10:30pm tomorrow night.

Cheers man, will probably give it a go.

Primetime's are usually well produced and not lazy and formula based like the standard UFC countdown shows.

• Paid Members

Great, so it's that time of year again where I'm going to have that Primetime (HBO 24/7 rip off) music stuck in my head on a loop. They're doing Primetime for GSP-Hendricks and Weidman-Silva 2 as well so I'll be humming that fucker until the new year.

The Countdowns look dated now. They can still be great with the right guys though. The one for UFC 164 was pretty great I thought, with Pettis-Bendo and Barnett-Mir all doing a sterling job. It's more the look of the shows, the graphics and stuff which I find dull. And I find that voiceover bloke on the Countdowns really boring. Primetime and FOX's Road To The Octagon shows are more swish looking and professional I think.

I'm looking forward to this but I hope it doesn't turn into one big Cain arselickfest where you have a bunch of soundbites from Rogan and Dana and co making out like JDS was just lucky the first time and the 'real' Cain showed what's what in the rematch. And I don't want to hear any more about his Dad's struggles and the stacking of lettuces. I'm hoping it's more balanced because despite Cain rightly being the favourite, I think there's a very real chance that JDS whacks him again. I hope it's good but let's be honest, they don't have that much to work with. Neither are the biggest personalities (although JDS has a ton of likability). And despite their rivalry, there's really no beef. The only angle they can really take is the Mexican pride, hard working, lettuce stacking shit we've all heard before. We'll see.

Id be more interested in an All Access show for Cain and JDS. With the endless amount of UFC shows these days, why did they stop doing the All Access shows? They were always good to watch. Seeing some hardcore training by Cain in prep for this fight would be more interesing than anything else available, I think.

It's more the look of the shows, the graphics and stuff which I find dull. And I find that voiceover bloke on the Countdowns really boring.

Its really stuck is in 2007, some of the countdown shows like Lesnar vs Mir 2 and Sonnen vs Silva 1 I bet are still timeless, but that is more down to the intense characters and situations they are in.

I think it will be a bit more balanced, as they are trying to sell the fight. Be a bit counter-productive if they present JDS as a severe underdog. As we discussed before I favor Cain, but its far from a done deal.

The dynamics of Heavyweight MMA means that no fight is a "done deal" as it only takes one punch/exchange, its not like the lighter weightclasses where a few mistakes can be forgiven. JDS is arguably the better straight boxer as well. Its a fight for me that interests me on a spectacle and competitive level.

I'm looking forward to this but I hope it doesn't turn into one big Cain arselickfest where you have a bunch of soundbites from Rogan and Dana and co making out like JDS was just lucky the first time and the 'real' Cain showed what's what in the rematch.

Dos Santos was lucky the first time around though ;)

Archived