UFC 166: Velasquez vs Dos Santos III

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

decided to add a few more thoughts about UFC 167, there was so much great stuff on the card that got buried underneath the two fights everyone's talking about that i thought id add a few thoughts...

First on them two, i think Cain's performance was one of the greatest in MMA history, just a perfect display of how to annihilate someone.

As for Sanchez/Melendez, it was the greatest one sided fight in history up until round 3 when Diego landed that uppercut, incredible fight. When people are disputing things like 'Best Fight Ever', you have to consider things like how you felt watching it first time, all sports are infinitly times better when you watch them without knowing what's going to happen, and you have to take that into consideration. It must have something else actually in the arena. It's easy to look back in hindsight and pick things apart, but watching that fight for the first time was an incredible experience, it was unreal.

The rest of the card:

* Boetsch/Dolloway is another fight that will be on my end of the year 'best of' list. On nearly every other card of the year the two would be taking home FOTN honors (thought i did hear that Tim got a $60,000 bonus, not sure if Dolloway did). I don't think this fight had anyone excited going in but it just proves how anythign can turn to gold in MMA. One of the most outright nasty fights ive seen, there was malice involved, i don't know what got into Dolloway. I'd love to see a rematch.

* Gabriel Gonzaga's comeback continues to be a success, he's now 4-1 in the UFC return with 4 finishes. It's pretty impressive and the guy remains popular...compare it to Matt Hamill's comeback which was in similar circumstances. I can't see Gonzaga cracking that top 5 but he's rarely in a dull fight. He equalled Mir for most HW wins in UFC history too which aint to be sniffed at.

* Demetrious Johnson continues to impress but also gets more annoying by the day. What the hell is up with the guy? Give the guy some ADHD medicine. Can't knock his power at 125 though.

* Perfect example of something that got lost in the shuffle was Hector Lombard's KO of Nate Marquadt. A lot of 170lb'ers must have shit their pants when they seen that. Lombard's UFC has stumbled so far but in a division now where he's physically the bigger man and still carrying that power, it's a scary proposition. Get him on the Oz card!!

* Great to see KJ Noons pick up a win too, he's stated he would have retired if he'd lost but im glad he pulled it out. The fight was quality as well, stinker of a first round but Sots bit down and threw down after that, i was very surprised his chin held out, you can't help but think he'll be cut though. The only thing that may save him is a position on the Australian card.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
First on them two, i think Cain's performance was one of the greatest in MMA history, just a perfect display of how to annihilate someone.

Both of his last two performances against JDS have been of the highest quality. In both fights there is no denying who the winner was.

JDS-BOETSCH.jpgScreenShot2013-10-19at9.33.46PM_original.png

I think the pillows are stuffed with razors, seeing as Velasquez always seems to leave his opponents a bloody mess.

* Perfect example of something that got lost in the shuffle was Hector Lombard's KO of Nate Marquadt. A lot of 170lb'ers must have shit their pants when they seen that. Lombard's UFC has stumbled so far but in a division now where he's physically the bigger man and still carrying that power, it's a scary proposition. Get him on the Oz card!!

* Great to see KJ Noons pick up a win too, he's stated he would have retired if he'd lost but im glad he pulled it out. The fight was quality as well, stinker of a first round but Sots bit down and threw down after that, i was very surprised his chin held out, you can't help but think he'll be cut though. The only thing that may save him is a position on the Australian card.

No complaints here if Lombard gets added. We've got a card full of scrappy bastards lined up already in Hunt, Shogun, Te Huna, Bader and Whittaker, and Lombard would be a fine addition. Only problem is that he deserves a high ranked opponent, and it's difficult to think who would fit the bill to be available.

Sots just might eek out a spot on the Aus card, but it's hard to say. Dan Hardy lost 4 straight and got another shot, but he's a more dynamic fighter and marketable personality, he also lost to higher ranked guys in the division. A couple of years ago, Sots had the distinction of being one of the only Aussies in UFC, but there's a healthy representation of us now (including guys that have adopted the country as their own). Ol' Georgie put up a Facebook post the other day thanking the UFC for their support, it's either a final attempt at ass-kissing or an acknowledgement that his time has come to an end.

I want to thank everyone who has supported me continues doing so.

I Thank @UFC for the many opportunities they have given me.

I Thank @ATT American Top Team for their United Effort in Training and Supporting me. Each Coach made a Great Effort: Stefan Dias, Dyah Ali, Din Thomas, Katel Kubis, Steve Bruno, Karmi Barzini, Marcos Damatta, Marcus 'Conan' Silvera and Ricardo Liborio. They're one of the Greatest Teams in all of MMA.

I Thank Tony Gilmour www.wholemindstrategies.com.au for his Effort, Knowledge, Wisdom and Support. I am a better man because of his work.

I Thank my Wife and Family who continue to support my Goal. I love them all dearly.

Finally, I Thank God for my Talents, Abilities and Health.

• Paid Members

Steve Cantwell also got a 5th fight after 4 defeats :laugh:

Oh, one other thing i wanted to mention was, i think it's time the question marks of Cain's chin were put to bed. I never really agreed with that talking point anyway, but he got caught flush in the opening seconds of the fight and whilst it stunned him he recovered almost instantly, he got cracked around 6-7 times later in the fight and he just walked through them all.

The whole chin aspect was question based off the fact that Kongo dropped him with a staight right hand back in the day with a punch that would have KO'd most men, Cain was dropped but he recovered instantly, and the time he was KO'd he was caught cold behind the ear. The dude is granite.

I can't see Gonzaga cracking that top 5 but he's rarely in a dull fight. He equalled Mir for most HW wins in UFC history too which aint to be sniffed at.

Actually it wasn't most HW wins, it was most HW stoppage wins he tied Mir for at 11 - which is even more impressive. And 8 of those 11 stoppages being in the first round!

I didn't realise until looking at his record but he's 11-6 in the UFC, with all 11 wins being finishes and even in defeat he's only went to decision once (Schaub). The guy doesn't get enough credit for being consistently entertaining and balls to the wall.

Remember the old myth that Joe Rogan used to pump down our throats that Nelson was deceptively fit and despite being a tubby fucker was actually in very good shape :laugh: them days are gone.

I have no sympathy for Roy Nelson.

Well, he is deceptively fit, isn't he? I mean, 99%of guys who look like that get out of shape walking up a hill, never mind fighting another human being for 15 minutes.

Anyone who's done some MMA sparring would know that it fucks you up sharpish if you're not used to it, and that goes for "in shape" people.

He simply isn't able to compete with opponents who are in superb shape though.

• Paid Members

yeh in a way it is true, but Roy is dead on his feet after a couple of minutes...his toughness gets him through fights, but when he's in there he looks like he's suffering.

Rogan used to say a similar thing about Cabbage back in the day, ironically he was another guy who's chin got him through most his fights.

Hey guys,

I've seen this awesome UFC 166 opening promo when the PPV started with the legends of UFC fighting and breaking walls and cracking the floor and than the whole concrete surrounding cracks and reveals the Octagon.

Does anyone know where I can find this video? I've searched youtube and dailymotion but can't seem to find it aywhere. That was one of the most amazing visuals I've ever seen in my life.

Archived