tew 2013

wwffan2

I'm playing a 2000 scenario I made myself, or rather I edited the 2000 data so it basically looks nothing like what it started like

It's quite good, ECW are going bust within a couple of months of the game starting and WCW get strong as fuck for some reason, so the monday night war aspect is quite good again

Can't be arsed with any of the newer ones, they're good in theory but I remember playing TEW '05 and it was taking 45 minutes to book Sunday Night Heat, just too time consuming

• Paid Members

Tew 2010 and 2013 are nothing like 2005 it terms of booking a show. Theres no way I'd go back to EWR now. Give the 2013 demo a try.

With that said, Ive been cautious of playing 2013 past the demo as to me, it's not that much improved on 2010. Personally I think Ryland needs to work on how you see the results of your booking. As it stands just seeing a segment rating and a one sentance write up is kinda unrewarding considering how much work you may put into your show.

I'd like to see exactly how the fans reacted to each individual in terms of a crowd reaction grade and things like quarter hour tv ratings so you can see how individual segments are doing on your show. As it stands just getting one overall grade per segment and then having to work out yourself what the sum of it's parts was, kind of sucks.

I've got 2010 and I play it on and off quite a bit. I've tried to get a good lucha game going but I struggle with that. I don't know if the game engine just doesn't really like lucha booking, or if its more the fact that the Cverse lucha promotions aren't really balanced in the right way to do that. The real life mods are a kinda useless when it comes to lucha. I have an unfinished beta mod which has all the promotions okay but the stats still need a lot of work that I can't be bothered with. Modding in TEW must be a real bitch. I'm trying the 'thunderverse' at the minute which both seems to have the lucha rosters a bit better set up and also has a fun looking Southern promotion which I'm quite tempted to mess about with. I figure the game will probably respond better to my Southern booking.

I think my problem with TEW is kind of the same as the problem I have with EWR. The games so skewed towards one or two particular ideas about what good booking is that I don't think are all that accommodating for other booking scenarios. If you wanted to book old school squash heavy shows then the game pretty much feels like it penalizes you until you book in a more modern way. And even momentum, which is a nice addition, seems a bit too harsh at times. And sometimes I don't think its the most balanced engine as a result. When you look at the game's forums and people are talking about how to book successfully in TEW you see a lot of ideas about keeping people apart before their big match so that they have the best momentum going in or lucha promotions booked as American indys or singles dominated Japan cards or old school TV shows with lots of marque matches. There's lots of reasons for that, people might not always be all that aware of how these eras or countries actually book in real life, they might just like their ideas of booking and want to employ that elsewhere and that's fine because its their game and they should do whatever the hell they want with it, but sometimes it feels like the game engine pushes you in that direction if you actually want to be successful with it and I find that a little off at times. But that's possibly just because of how I try to play it. Its still a good game to pick up to play for a couple of hours sometimes, and 10's definitely better than 05 and I couldn't imagine going back to EWR, but that's my real niggle with it which I think holds it back from being something really good.

I'd love to get back into these games but i just hate the way "workrate" plays such a big part, i found the only way to get decent ratings on EWR was constantly go for 4/5 star matches. It doesn't help when whoever makes the real world rosters decides to give anyone who isn't a Kurt Angle or some flippy flopper crap ratings so nothing they do draws.

I've given TEW 2013 a try and have been very pleasantly surprised by it. Prior to giving it a shot I had only played EWR (which I used to love and still enjoy) and TEW 2005 (which I hated) and so far I've found TEW 2013 to be better than those two. There's tons of options to choose from but at the same time the core gameplay is not as time consuming as TEW 2005's was. I mean, the game can be very time consuming if you want it to be but most of the stuff is completely optional and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Booking a show in TEW 2013 does take a bit longer than booking a show in EWR but not as much as I had feared it might. The game's definitely overwhelming at first though until you get used to where everything is but after that it can be a pretty enjoyable game. Granted, I've only played around with it for a few hours, but so far so good. I haven't encountered anything that I strongly dislike yet. Well, other than some really shit real world stats but that's not really the fault of the game itself but rather the stat makers. It's also very customizable. Don't want the emphasis to be on workrate? Fine, then do what I did and change your promotion's product to a product where the emphasis is on star power and charisma, and thus workrate becomes less of an issue. Anyway, I may change my opinion further down the road if something annoying pops up as I spend more time playing but my initial impressions of the game so far are definitely pretty positive.

I'd love to get back into these games but i just hate the way "workrate" plays such a big part, i found the only way to get decent ratings on EWR was constantly go for 4/5 star matches. It doesn't help when whoever makes the real world rosters decides to give anyone who isn't a Kurt Angle or some flippy flopper crap ratings so nothing they do draws.

Is the game still balanced that way in the newer ones? It was fine for the time I was playing it, when I was part of the "Shelton Benjamin should be World champion" hivemind, but I'd hate that aspect of it now.

pgi86, this intrigues me:

Don't want the emphasis to be on workrate? Fine, then do what I did and change your promotion's product to a product where the emphasis is on star power and charisma, and thus workrate becomes less of an issue.

If you do that, does it reward booking WWE-style shows more than just having Paul London and Christian doing iron man matches etc?

I'd love to play the demo, but I tried a demo of a previous game (or did one full TEW game go freeware?) and the lack of familiarity with the fictional roster meant I had no grounding for booking stuff.

Don't want the emphasis to be on workrate? Fine, then do what I did and change your promotion's product to a product where the emphasis is on star power and charisma, and thus workrate becomes less of an issue.

If you do that, does it reward booking WWE-style shows more than just having Paul London and Christian doing iron man matches etc?

I'd love to play the demo, but I tried a demo of a previous game (or did one full TEW game go freeware?) and the lack of familiarity with the fictional roster meant I had no grounding for booking stuff.

Yes to the first bit. You can have a successful WCW style product with charismatic broken down dinosaurs that way.

The second bit - there's a few mods around for TEW 10 that have very good real world rosters and a couple, though not as many for TEW 13 that have a good database but are slightly lacking on the non-US workers & promotions such as Futureshock still having Alex Shane as champion or a lot of luchadores profiles saying nothing more than " a good all rounder" still a very playable database though.

• Paid Members

The newer game is a bit more advanced, Pitcos. Like pgi86 was on about, it can depend on what style your promotion is, as a match that is maybe a bit too intense and violent, even with two good workers, could be rated as rubbish in a family friendly style.

The key seems to be based star power, with the rating of good matches. If you have two of your bigger stars wrestling, they'll have a higher rated match than the Shelton-types.

Been a while since I've played this. I may do some post-TNA game.

Like I said, I haven't played a lot so I don't know how this affects the long-term but short-term (as in the few shows that I booked) it seemed to make a difference. Basically, each promotion has 10 product features (traditional, mainstream, comedy, risque, realism, hardcore, lucha, pure, etc.) that you can set from "none" to "key feature". Then you can also set what percentage of matches/angles are to be expected of your shows as well as the expected match length. So, basically all these settings determine what your product is supposed to be and what the audience expects of your product. For example, my current settings are such that I'm told [by the game] my wrestlers are judged more on popularity than workrate and my audience favours simple well-defined gimmicks and plenty of storylines & angles. So when I booked my shows I booked that type of product and got good B+ results. Again though, I don't know how well this works out over the long-term and if it truly makes a difference for your promotion's long-term success. I'd assume so but I don't know that for a fact.

That sounds good, but "expected match length" worries me a bit. If you're doing three or four minutes as your TV standard and set it to that, would a twenty minute PPV main event then get a bad rating?

There's separate settings for TV and events. And for each of those there's a setting for minor, medium and main matches. And I guess I should've pointed out that those settings are for minimum expected match length. There are no penalties for going beyond the expected length but there are for going below it.

Archived