• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 5: Dave Mastiff

Score: 231 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2013 votes: 1

Previous UK50 Rankings: 2012=10th, 2011=3rd, 2010=2nd, 2009=6th, 2008=11th, 2007=25th, 2006=24th, 2005=32nd

Twitter: @DaveMastiff

Entrance theme: 'Denim & Leather' - Saxon

qfch.jpg

Photo credit - Gordon Harris & Preston City Wrestling

Another of our UKFF '9-Year Club', Big Bad Dave Mastiff also secures his fifth consecutive Top 10 finish. Hailing from the Black Country, the man known as 'The Bastard' (or still 'Human Hate Machine' in more family-friendly environs) has been one of the top attractions in British wrestling across the country...

Beat El Ligero in a cracking match at PCW

• Paid Members

No. 4: Noam Dar

Score: 248 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2013 votes: 3

Previous UK50 Rankings: 2012=2nd, 2011=19th, 2010=43rd, 2009=NL, 2008=NL, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL

Twitter: @NoamDar

Entrance theme: '(What's the Story) Morning Glory' - Oasis

i82t.jpg

A fourth-ever UKFF UK50 appearance for Ayr's favourite young Oasis fan. As well as continuing to appear as a star across Scotland, Dar is now accepted and treated as a top star in British wrestling around the entire United Kingdom. These 12 months have been full of showcase matches, high-profile gigs and rave reviews...

Faced his wrestling idol AJ Styles in the huge attraction bout at Pro Wrestling Elite’s first anniversary event in July 2012… Beat Mikey Whiplash and El Ligero to reach the final of PWE’s Heavyweight Title tournament that September, but was bested by Andy Wild in the championship bout. A title rematch between the pair at ‘One Wild Night’ in February also went the way of the Englishman…Beat Martin Kirby and Liam Thomson in a 3-way on PWE’s May show…Appearances over in PBW included matches with The Dunne Brothers, Lionheart, Switch, Wolfgang, Nathan Cruz, Red Lightning and Mark Coffey, as well as victories in the annual 6-way ‘King of Cruisers’ match at the ‘Maximum Impact’ supershow and over Tommy End and El Ligero in a 3-way at ‘Breaking Limits 8’…

Won a 6-way Scramble match at Preston City Wrestling’s first anniversary to become the promotion’s first Cruiserweight Champion…In September, defended his belt in a really good 3-way against El Ligero and Joey Hayes, then returned later on to take the place of the ill Liam Thomson in Fight Club and successfully defend the PCW tag straps over Disco Madness (Mad Man Manson & Sam Bailey)…Took advantage of Fight Club’s interference to beat Kris Travis by countout in November… December’s ‘Festive Fury’ saw him beat Joey Hayes on the afternoon card, before going down to former WWE star John Morrison in a terrific tussle on the main show…Fell to Dave Mastiff in another good match on PCW’s first card of 2013, before beating Andy Wild in the first round of February’s ‘Road to Glory’ tournament. Was jumped by scheduled second round opponent CJ Banks immediately after, making him easy prey for Dave Rayne to cash-in his ‘Money In The Bank’ briefcase and relieve Dar of the Cruiserweight gold. Despite this, the next day Dar beat Banks, Brian Kendrick and Joey Hayes to win the entire ‘Road to Glory’ tourney and earn a shot at the PCW Heavyweight Championship at August’s second anniversary show. The final, especially, was excellent fare…

Scored a big win over DGUSA Champion Johnny Gargano in an impressive April encounter, before taking PCW Champion Doug Williams to a 15-minute time-limit draw at the ‘Supershow 2’ weekend in June. This would have set the scene for the aforementioned title contest between the pair at the anniversary show (now scheduled as a 60-minute ‘Iron Man’ bout), but also resulted in Dar picking up an injury that would sideline him for several months and be replaced in that championship match by El Ligero…

Lost his ICW Zero-G Title to Andy Wild at ‘Insane In The Membrane’, then replaced the injured James Scott in the 4-way main event of ‘Fear & Loathing V’ that November against former Gold Label members Red Lightning, Lionheart and Wolfgang… ICW singles matches included bouts with Wolfgang, Scott, Mikey Whiplash, and Robbie Solar… Beat ‘Mr WRESTLING’ Paul Robinson and Jimmy Havoc on successive THIS IS PROGRESS shows, then earned a shot at the THIS IS PROGRESS Title by defeating Dave Mastiff at ‘Chapter Six’. Failed to unseat champ El Ligero in a superb contest at ‘Chapter Seven’…

Made his full debut for Dragon Gate UK in February as part of the 2013 tour (having appeared in a 'dark' match the tour prior), battling Dragon Gate Japan names Jimmy Susumu, Masaaki Mochizuki and YAMATO in separate singles bouts to start his 5-match ‘Trial Series’… The following month, competed for FutureShock Wrestling as part of their one-night ‘Lotto Thunder’ tournament for the vacant championship. Beat Dave Rayne and Josh Bodom in the quarter- and semi-finals respectively, before coming second to Zack Gibson in a tremendous final…

Faced international superstars Prince Devitt, Davey Richards, Jerry Lynn and Jay Lethal for a combination of IPW:UK, RevPro and SWE, as well as domestic names The Lion Kid, MK McKinnan, Marty Scurll, Robbie X, Mark Haskins, El Ligero, Zack Sabre Jr, Jonny Storm and Mark Andrews… Also appeared here and there in Scotland for BCW, in Wolverhampton for AWW, in London for FPW, in North Wales for BWP, in Oxfordshire for NBWA, in West Yorkshire for NGW and in Liverpool for Infinite Promotions…

What did the UKFF think?

"I feel Noam Dar is often somewhat overrated, but he is very good. Match with Zack Gibson for the Futureshock Title was a truly amazing contest, the third of the night for both men. Always a welcome presence at PCW shows as well"

"Gone from prospect to star. The DGUK shows were when everything started to really click for me and he's been on a roll since, only slowed by his unfortunate shoulder injury. Match with Ligero at Progress was brilliant"

"Another big year for Dar as he carried on riding the moment he built up previously and shows no sign of slowing down. The fact he replaced the departing Pac on Team UK for DragonGate shows how far he has come and he has really impressed in PCW against Gargano and Morrison, against Davey Richards in Southside and Prince Devitt in Rev Pro amongst many others. A couple of injury setbacks have occurred over the past 12 months but it can't take the gloss of what has been another strong year for the young Scotsman"

"He has alot to learn in wrestling but when ever i see him he always impresses. Him vrs davey from southside in particular. Saw him at dguk. By no means stole the show but proved despite his age he is a great british wrestler"

"I generally consider Dar to be overrated, but that's not to say he isn't really good - he's just nowhere near as good as people seem to think he is"

"I am going to try to write this explanation without mentioning the age of the competitor once as I’m sure most other voters will mention this. One of the criteria for voting in the UK50 is whether or not the competitor is able to draw the fans in emotionally, for this we need look no further than Noam Dar vs El Ligero for the Progress Championship at Chapter 7. Dar was the challenger in this contest and the fans were desperate to see the Scotsman take the championship from the Mexican Sensation to the point where I thought had it happened, all the glass behind the bar would have shattered due to the release of emotions in the Garage. Alas it was not to be but in my memory I have never seen a crowd so desperate for an outcome in a match and I was in attendance at Summerslam 92 for Davey Boy vs Bret! Dar seems to have a good idea of the need for character in wrestling more so than a lot of people who have been in the business twice as long as he has. Like Sabre Jr Dar is always someone I look for on a card because I know I’m guaranteed a good match no matter the opponent over the voting period I saw Dar wrestle good matches with diverse talent such as Susumu Yokosuka, Jay Lethal, Dave Mastiff and Danny Hope. A talent who will only get better which can only be a good thing since I ranked him number 2… Did I mention he is only 20 years old?"

"Getting better and better, and is starting to add awesome promos to his skill set too. His matches with El Ligero, John Morrison and Johnny Gargano have been excellent"

"One of the best in Europe at the moment and still so young. What makes Noam stand out for me is the fact that he isnt scared to mix it up, he seems aware that he is still young and wants to be great in all aspects of wrestling. An example of this was a very good comedy style match with Red Lightning at PBW in March"

"one of the most exciting young talents in the UK today, absolutely frightening to think how much a legacy this chap is going to leave behind in wrestling"

"Perhaps a little less prominent in Scotland this time around but only because he seems to be tearing it up all over England. Its only a matter of time before he ends up number 1 on this list, the only thing that could prevent that would be a long term move to the US or Japan although that's maybe a couple of years away at least"

"Great wrestler even if his sole purpose for existence is so that Benny can invent shit (yet but undeniably catchy) songs"

"Not a lot can be said that hasn't already been said. For someone so young, he's almost scarily good. He's been rewarded for his hard work with matches against big names across the last year and as far as I've seen, he's always delivered and stood up to the opponent and done himself justice"

"Yet another strong year with stand out matches against Davey Richards , Jay Lethal , AJ Styles and John Morrison and not ever looked out of his depth - and still a teenager in them matches"

"Getting better all the time and still not the finished product"

• Paid Members

No. 3: Kris Travis

Score: 257 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2013 votes: 4

Previous UK50 Rankings: 2012=4th, 2011=11th, 2010=6th, 2009=11th, 2008=19th, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL

Twitter: @RealKrisTravis

Entrance theme:

- CKY

v3lt.jpg

A best-ever ranking in the UKFF UK50 for Sheffield's Kris Travis in the sixth time he has been listed. As well as being recognised as a top singles star, Travis often teams with fellow Yorkshireman Martin Kirby to form Project Ego, one of the best tag acts in the country...

Entered the UKFF UK50 eligibility period as the holder of PCW

• Paid Members

Well, here we go...

No. 2: Martin Kirby

Score: 276 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2013 votes: 3

Previous UK50 Rankings: 2012=7th, 2011=7th, 2010=9th, 2009=10th, 2008=15th, 2007=NL, 2006=NL, 2005=NL

Twitter: @MKirbyProEgo

Entrance themes:

Babyface:

- O-Zone;

Heel:

- David Hasselhoff

Ego Dragon:

- Drowning Pool

Project Ego:

- CKY

zfxr.jpg

Photo credit - Tony Knox & Grand Pro Wrestling

North Yorkshire's Martin Kirby achieves his highest-ever UKFF UK50 ranking in this, the sixth year in which he has been ranked and the fifth consecutive year in which he gains a Top 10 place. In doing so, this year he finishes ahead of regular tag team partner Kris Travis, but fails to unseat the man with whom his career is often linked from the top spot. Kirby's antics alongside With Kris Travis as Project Ego in IPW:UK, RPW, FutureShock, PROGRESS, PBW, ICW, HXC and Infinite were covered in Travis

• Paid Members

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2013 UKFF UK50:

1 El Ligero

2 Martin Kirby

3 Kris Travis

4 Noam Dar

5 Dave Mastiff

6 Zack Sabre Jr

7 Mark Haskins

8 Rampage Brown

9 Mad Man Manson

10 Joey Hayes

11 Stixx

12 Rockstar Spud

13 Dave Rayne

14 Dean Allmark

15 Mikey Whiplash

16 MK McKinnan

17 CJ Banks

18 T-Bone

19 Robbie X

20 Nathan Cruz

21 Marty Scurll

22 Zack Gibson

23 Cyanide

24 Grado

25 Jack Gallagher

26 Bubblegum

27 Nikki Storm

28 April Davids

29 Wolfgang

30 Damon Leigh

31 Lee Hunter

32 Kay Lee Ray

33 Jim Hunter

34 Mark Andrews

35 Sam Bailey

36 Danny Hope

37 Liam Thomson

38 Joe Coffey

39 Will Ospreay

40 Lionheart

41 Jack Jester

42 Wild Boar

43 BT Gunn

44 Sha Samuels

45 Johnny Moss

46 Pete Dunne

47 Red Lightning

48 Darrell Allen

49 Mark Coffey

50 Eddie Dennis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a personal note, I'd just like to thank anyone that took the time to nominate, vote, leave comments or simply read the project this year - if it wasn't for the continued support, this really would be a bit shit. I know this list gets a lot of stick in some quarters, but it remains the biggest and most serious attempt to do something like this and I think we've yet again ended up with a pretty decent-looking set of rankings.

I'd also like to apologise for the ridiculous amount of time it's taken to get the results written-up and presented this year - as you might guess, I'm not particularly happy with the quality of the write-ups towards the end when it was more important to actually get the results out. A combination of computer problems, real-life business and other factors made this a bit of hard work this time. I know it took until November the year the Shitlist was involved (with the extra 30 write-ups, as well as, you know, THE POLICE) but I'd never expect it to take until ruddy Christmas. So, thanks for bearing with me.

Cheers,

Benny

• Paid Members

... and just for a bit of fun, here's what the combined, cumulative 9-year rankings look like:

1 Spud

2 El Ligero

3 Dave Mastiff

4 Jonny Storm

5 Stixx

6 Zack Sabre Jr

7 Martin Stone

8 Joey Hayes

9 Martin Kirby

10 Bubblegum

11 Kris Travis

12 Johnny Moss

13 Mark Haskins

14 Mad Man Manson

15 Lionheart

16 James Scott

17 Marty Scurll

18 Doug Williams

19= CJ Banks

19= Mikey Whiplash

19= RJ Singh

22 Greg Burridge

23 Terry Frazier

24 Robbie Brookside

25 Pac (Adiran Neville)

26 Majik

27 Noam Dar

28 James Mason

29= Liam Thomson

29= Sha Samuels

31 Andy Simmonz

32 Joel Redman (Oliver Grey)

33= Alex Shane

33= Ricky Knight

33= Wolfgang

36= Falcon

36= James Tighe

38 Nathan Cruz

39= Jack Gallagher

39= Jody Fleisch

41 Jack Storm

42 Paul Malen

43 Zebra Kid

44 James Wallace

45 T-Bone

46 BT Gunn

47 Johnny Kidd

48= Cameron Kraze

48= Sam Bailey

50 Jetta

51= Dragon Phoenix

51= Kid Fite

53 Aviv Maayan

54 Drew Galloway (Drew McIntyre)

55 Dean Allmark

56= Mark Andrews

56= Rampage Brown

58= Dave Rayne

58= MK McKinnan

60= Hade Vansen

60= Stevie Knight

62 Dragon Aisu

63 Sam Slam

64 Robbie X

65= Iceman

65= Robbie Dynamite

67 Zack Gibson

68= Leroy Kincaide

68= Red Lightning

70= Johnny Saint

70= Phil Powers

72 Andy Wild

73 Wild Boar

74= Scott Renwick

74= Stevie Lynn

76 Cyanide

77= Conscience

77= Danny Hope

77= Joseph Conners

80 Ashe

81= Derice Coffie

81= Steve Grey

83= Carl Conroy

83= Drew McDonald

85 Eden Black

86= Damon Leigh

86= Jon Ryan

88 Seamus O'Shaunessy (Sheamus)

89 Mark Belton

90= Gilligan Gordon

90= Justin Richards

92= Grado

92= JD Knight

92= Lee Hunter

92= Phil Bedwell

92= Val Kabious

97 The Saint

98= Adam Shame

98= Jim Hunter

98= Johnny Phere

98= Mal Sanders

98= Nikki Storm

103 April Davids

104= Ashley Reed

104= JC Thunder

104= Max Angelus

107= Lion Kid

107= Paul Travell

109 Mark Sloan

110 Kay Lee Ray

111= Mohmed Ameen

111= Owen Phoenix

113 Pete Dunne

114 TJ Cain

115= Eric Canyon

115= Jack Jester

115= Sweet Saraya

118 Joe Coffey

119= Andy Hogg

119= Behnam Ali

119= Chris Renfrew

119= Will Ospreay

123 Keith Myatt

124= Danny Garnell

124= Dirk Feelgood

126= Damien O'Connor

126= Trent Seven

128 Jon Ritchie

129 Colossus Kennedy

130 Jack Xavier

131= Bulk

131= Kid Richie

133 Chris Whitton

134= Darrell Allen

134= Heresy

136= Charlie Rage

136= Eddie Reyes

136= Josh Bodom

136= Mark Coffey

140= Dan Head

140= Eddie Dennis

140= Zak Zodiac

Got to admit i'm not shocked Ligero is number 1 however i had a feeling that Kirby could have trumped him this year after hearing all the plaudits he got as EGO Dragon in Southside and working with top names in PCW.

• Paid Members

I'm just not sure about Kirby. He's undoubtedly very technically competent, and has a lot of personality, but his look isn't there, especially when he's next to Travis who looks and acts like a star. He's good, very good even, but not quite the full package. He's obviously resonated with the UKFF though, so fair play to him.

Archived