Matches you wished happened

TheShowOff

• Paid Members

I agree that would be a belter. I'd also loved to have seen Jericho vs Foley. I know they had a match in ECW and a 5 minute match on Smackdown in '99 but I'd love to have seen a proper meaningful bout between the pair of them circa 2000-2004. Reckon it'd be a hell of a match.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Yeah, I saw both Savage vs Michaels and Reznor's earlier mentioned Kid vs Model at the NEC in Birmingham in 1993. I hardly remember anything about them though sadly.

But yeah, Savage and Michaels had a few matches, usually on the European tours in 92/93. There are a couple of good one's on some Coliseum Video tapes, as well as the Savage/Bret vs Michaels/Flair tag match.

That's right wand, it was the same card/tour I saw them at, but at Whitley bay. I remember hit man no showed due to a cold or something, and there were lads handing out what i assume were dirt sheets outside, with the Sid/arn scissors attack as the main and possibly only article.

Anyway, looking back, I'd like to have seen Steve keirn vs matt Bourne in a battle of the Doinks. Both were great, I'd probably favour Bourne, but Keirn was a very good wrestler and Skinner is always overlooked IMO. Wrong place and time but great gimmick. Had some good matches with bret and tatanka as well as the fun squash at mania where he beat the shit out of (then lost) to Owen.

Both great all rounders, in fact, just inspired me for a new thread.

• Paid Members

I didn't know anything about the card until we got there. There was me and my Dad and my mate from school and his Dad. As far as I know Bret wasn't scheduled for the Birmingham show. We were meant to get Mr Perfect vs Diesel though, but Perfect couldn't make it for some reason or other and they sent Tatanka out instead.

It's quite sad looking back, that on a card featuring Savage/Michaels, Kid/Martel and Razor/IRS, my most vivid memory of the night was coming back from the queue for ice cream and having completely missed Adam Bomb squashing Virgil. I got back to my seat just in time to see poor Virgil rolling out of the ring and half heartedly high-fiving his way back through the curtain. I don't think I even laid eyes on Mr Bomb.

• Paid Members
I didn't know anything about the card until we got there. There was me and my Dad and my mate from school and his Dad. As far as I know Bret wasn't scheduled for the Birmingham show. We were meant to get Mr Perfect vs Diesel though, but Perfect couldn't make it for some reason or other and they sent Tatanka out instead.

Yeah, Bret was in the half of the roster still in the States, running Bret/Jarrett, Luger/Borga and Quebecers/Steiners while over here we had Taker/Yoko, Savage/Michaels and Razor/IRS.

Perfect didn't appear because he'd jacked the company in about five weeks earlier.

• Paid Members

Did Jannetty and Martel ever have a 1 on 1? Can't seem to see any obvious links. As a young lad with my hasbros, Martel would often tag with HBK. I had a thing going where Jannetty needed a different tag partner each week as the model and HBK would do a number on each partner pre match. Until savage stepped up that is.

Steiners vs Quebecers + Johnny in a handicap match for the titles at WMX.

As much as I am a King Mabel fan, I'm kind of gutted we didn't get this, would have been perfect. Though perhaps the show would then have had too many big babyface triumphs (Savage, Razor, Bret), I don't know.

Vader vs Pillman is a great one as well, would have loved some of that.

Saw Kid vs Model in person and it was absolutely terrific.

Did Jannetty and Martel ever have a 1 on 1? Can't seem to see any obvious links. As a young lad with my hasbros, Martel would often tag with HBK. I had a thing going where Jannetty needed a different tag partner each week as the model and HBK would do a number on each partner pre match. Until savage stepped up that is.

Yup. Suvivor Series Showdown 1990

• Paid Members
I'm kind of gutted we didn't get this, would have been perfect. Though perhaps the show would then have had too many big babyface triumphs (Savage, Razor, Bret), I don't know.

You assume Steiners would have won, yes? I think that would have been the ideal match to put on after Luger got shafted by Perfect. Or third, after the shock of Owen pinning the Hitman and distressing sight of Dink getting beaten up.

Yup. Suvivor Series Showdown 1990

As featured on the Coliseum tape "Greatest Hits," one of the first I ever bought. It was a really good match too. They also wrestled several house shows prior to Survivors '93.

Rock vs Austin vs HHH circa late 1999/2000. The three biggest stars in the company at the time going at it. Was originally booked for Survivor Series 99 but obviously never happened due to Austin's injury angle. Would've been a belter, I reckon.

As featured on the Coliseum tape "Greatest Hits," one of the first I ever bought. It was a really good match too. They also wrestled several house shows prior to Survivors '93.

There was another one on Prime Time too, taped before the Rockers split but aired afterwards (and acknowledged). I can't remember it at all from the time which leads me to believe I probably wasn't as avid a viewer as I thought I was as i'd have been all over that shit, but it was a right pisser being teased with the description of a 20 minute draw in the listings only to track it down and find out it was JIP from what must've been about the 14 minute mark. :(

I think I may have mentioned in another thread on here recently, but I loved the Piper's Pit they did with Daniel Bryan and AJ a year or so back and was pretty gutted that it didn't lead to a match between the two. Sure, Piper was long past his best but I reckon he would have still brought as much as he possibly could for a match like that, and Bryan is Bryan. Could have been a lot of fun.

I think I may have mentioned in another thread on here recently, but I loved the Piper's Pit they did with Daniel Bryan and AJ a year or so back and was pretty gutted that it didn't lead to a match between the two. Sure, Piper was long past his best but I reckon he would have still brought as much as he possibly could for a match like that, and Bryan is Bryan. Could have been a lot of fun.

That reminds me of another one of mine (and mine alone probably) - Piper v Raven in early '99. They seemed to be hinting at a feud from some of Ravens original return vignettes (even though he was only away for about a month) and those two brawling away would've been right up my street. The internet seems to have turned a bit on Raven in the last few years, he used to be pretty popular a while back - but I still think he was class. All Piper needed to do was what he done in the backlot brawl and they couldn't have went far wrong.

• Paid Members

I think everyone was doing their own angles in WCW at the time. Especially with those Raven skits. James the chess playing pal of depressed Scotty turned up with barbed wire wrapped around in a few weeks later. I think Raven and whoever produced the skits thought it would have been great to intertwine the Piper history into the promos, but when it made air nobody in Power took any notice. I think Raven once said he got the OK from Piper before filming and he was up for a feud. Everyone seemed to be stepping over every ones angles at the time. I remember the night Hogan came out to cut a big passionate babyface promo in Toronto they had already aired skits of Hogan trying to slip Torrie one. Hogan was a babyface live and a heel in the pre-tapes. Early to mid-99 WCW was such a fucking mess.

Archived