Matches you wished happened

TheShowOff

• Paid Members

Think I would've liked to see HBK vs Ricky Steamboat when he had his micro-run following the Jericho 1-on-3 legends match at 'Mania. Could've been a cracking little match, that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I waste far too much of my time thinking about this type of thing, so I've got a list in my head hundreds long. Some of them are genuine dream matches, others more a case of just wanting to see more of guys I like against practically anyone, usually when their runs were cut short and unfulfilled. e.g Jake from Autumn 91 to WM8, Steamboat in 1991 (although v Perfect is a genuine one)

The Warrior probably accounts for most at the front of my mind. He faced pretty much everyone I was bothered about from his arrival up until Summerslam 91, but there's loads of matches i'd have wished for in later runs. First and foremost, Flair in 92. Technically I guess he had one night where he could have faced Jake also. Then there's matches v Sid and Razor also. There's probably even more from Summer 1996 with Warrior v Vader and Bulldog, both of which I would've loved. And after that there's matches v Diesel, Mankind, Austin - even HBK (which could've been done in 92 also).

Back when the Rockers were around, I always wished that Marty got the chance to match Shawns singles matches vs the likes of Dibiase, Flair and Perfect. Either of them vs Rude or Macho King back then would've been great stuff for Prime Time or whatever too.

The stupid decision to dump Savage into the commentary box deprived us of a lot of potentially cool stuff in 93 and 94. In particular, I would have loved some macho matches vs the King and Bam Bam on top of the Hitman match which everyone wanted to see. King v Savage would've been a good WM9 match if they were going 4hrs as they always should have at 'Mania. Savage v Owen post-WMX could've been quite tasty too. And whilst mentioning Lawler, a TV match v Perfect would have been lovely back then also, and it's a shame that never happened after a feud was sorta teased in the Rumble.

Other RAW type matches i'd have liked to pop up in 93 would've included midcard stuff like Crush v Bigelow/Diesel, Kid v Doink/Model/Taylor, Doink v Tatanka, baby blue Owen etc.

I was a massive fan of the WWF tag division from 93-94, mostly thanks to the Quebecers. But as criminally short as their run was, we were at least lucky in that they got tonnes of Raw time. However, there were still a couple of matchups we never got which would both have been fun - vs the Gunns and Rock n Rolls. From that period, more of the Bret/Owen team would have been welcomed too; against Kid and Marty springs to mind, and they could easily have made that happen with a Rumble title spot at place if only they'd done the Kid/Jannetty/Quebecers belt swap a week or so earlier.

Speaking of Jannetty and the Kid, a match v the Steiners was mentioned earlier in the thread and that would've been ok for sure.... but... in an ideal world i'd have rather saw them against a better team - the Heavenly Bodies. We got 3/4 of it a year later with Sparky Plugg, but that one change makes a pretty huge difference. You know what they should've done and would've been great though... Steiners vs Quebecers + Johnny in a handicap match for the titles at WMX.

Off the top of my head, nothing much stands out for the rest of 1994, but 1995 is an absolute goldmine of stuff we never got but which i'd have loved in the WWF, mainly thanks to the emergence of loads of new faces, most of whom didn't hang around long. Rather than list every possible match, i'd be a lot quicker basically just saying any combination of babyfaces like HBK, Jannetty, Bulldog, Kid, Razor against heels like Jean Pierre LaFitte, Hakushi, Waylon Mercy, HHH, maybe even Mabel

With more TV and more PPV, I don't really have a whole load after around 1996 apart from some of the obvious money-type-matches, as pretty much everybody faced everybody on the midcard unless they were in and out of the company after a few months.

WCW's always been a bit like that too, as they always had loads of TV time, and gave away more name v name matches back when a full hour of WWF programming featured nothing but squashes. One that does stand out for me though which I don't know of any TV meetings is Flyin' Brian v Vader. It would no doubt amount to little more than a 7-8 minute competitive squash, but I'd have loved to see it. Not fussed about what period it took place in - either side of the Blonds would've done, as Pillman was still great in his "Blondes have more fun" run despite having no push and being almost forgotten about. I'd have liked to see Vader v Johnny B. Badd around 1995 too, but I don't recall them ever meeting.

I'll stop now as I could go on all night. Those were just the tip of the iceberg - some of the more prominent ones, and nothing from Mexico either :)

• Paid Members

I like Reznor's shout for Savage vs Owen in '94. I think a babyface match on Raw between Savage and 123 Kid would have been pretty great as well.

Back in 1996, during Shawn Michaels' title reign, I was dying to see him and Undertaker face off. They were the top two goodies with Bret off the scene and they'd never had a singles match at that point, had they? Of course we got it a year later with Shawn as the heel and it more than lived up to expectations. It probably worked out better the way they did it, with Shawn as the cocky little shit antagonizing the Deadman with DX. But I wonder how an all babyface match between them in '96 would have played out. And how the crowd would have reacted.

Austin vs Diesel and Razor in early '96 could have been fun TV matches as well. And there was a window to do Steamboat vs Benoit in WCW in early 1993.

• Paid Members

What I love about this thread is that if people are wrong and the matches have happened, we get to some good rare stuff.

My pick is the Rockers v Thr British Bulldogs.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I saw both Savage vs Michaels and Reznor's earlier mentioned Kid vs Model at the NEC in Birmingham in 1993. I hardly remember anything about them though sadly.

But yeah, Savage and Michaels had a few matches, usually on the European tours in 92/93. There are a couple of good one's on some Coliseum Video tapes, as well as the Savage/Bret vs Michaels/Flair tag match.

Archived