UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah this all depends on what Schaub's tactics are IMO. If he comes out like he did with Lavar Johnson I think he'll be able to completely shut Meathead down like Kongo did. It'll be boring but it's the easiest route to take with the least risk. If he comes to make up for putting everyone to sleep against Lavar and at Metamoris, and decides to stand I think we'll be seeing him knocked out again. He's got some power himself but in a fight like that it would be a battle of chins and Meathead wins that battle for me.

I don't know. I'm half thinking Schaub will just wrestle this one out. He'd be really stupid if he just comes to brawl when he has Meathead outmatched in the wrestling. Even if it's boring, he'll still be employed come Sunday. Won't put him on Dana and Joe Silva's Christmas card list but what can you do? If it's either bore everyone and win - and also receive your win bonus and keep your job. Or entertain everyone with a brawl and get chinned in round 1 - and only get half your money and maybe get sacked - which route are you going to choose? Schaub is limited, he's not a massively skilled MMA fighter like a Cain Velasquez. He's a big athletic guy with pretty good wrestling and decent power. 'Pretty good' and 'decent' are about the best I can come up with. So it's either 1) dryhump crap grapplers to a snoozefest decision or 2) swing haymakers and hope yours lands first before you get smacked on your sponge-like chin. He got away with #2 when he fought the shell of Cro Cop and a fat and unmotivated Gonzaga. #1 would be his best option against Meathead though I reckon. Even if we are all moaning about how shit the fight was Sunday morning.

This isn't what I'm hoping for though. Of course I wouldn't hope for a boring fight. I just think Schaub would be wise to put winning first. I'm hoping he comes out swinging though and catches Meathead flush on the whiskers while simultaneously eating a huge right to the temple himself, and they both plop down in an unconscious heap of mediocrity.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Here's a questions...

Why does everyone dislike Brendan Schaub? Post-Metamoris i understand, but hes been disliked since he started, i cant think of anything off hand. Im in the same camp as everyone else but i aint quite sure why?

• Paid Members

I can't put my finger on what it was that first made me dislike him, but I remember thinking he seemed a bit of a penis on TUF 10. Nothing he really did, I don't remember him even doing anything twatty on the show, I just thought there was a dickhead vibe about him.

Since then, little things added to it. There was a fight, I think it was the Chris Tuchscherer fight but not sure, where he knocked the guy out and then did this thing into camera like he was fixing his hair or something. Yeah, no big deal but he looked like such a smug knob doing it. Some do that stuff and carry it off but he just looks a right big pillock. He has an extremely punchable face I think. Even when he's coming across OK in an interview or something, I find myself thinking 'I hope you tread in dog shit when you get outside, and get it all inside your car.' I'm a twat.

One of the big things for me though, was him shamelessly trying to take the easiest path to the top by fighting past-it top heavyweights. Meanwhile loads of people were touting him as the future of the division. He beat an off form Gonzaga who was on the verge of retiring at the time. Then struggled with a shot, chinless Cro Cop for two and a half rounds before scoring the KO. Fair enough that's who Joe Silva matched him with. But then he started calling out Big Nog, clearly thinking Nog was another finished fighter and a faded big name to add to his record. And he was claiming he deserved a title shot if he beat Nog. He came across well cocky in this period to me. Him beating up washed up opposition seemed to give him a false sense of his own ability and when Nog made him Flair flop in Brazil, that was one of my most satisfying KOs to watch ever. He thought he was going to piggyback off Nog's name and he got smashed in round 1 by a fat, old man looking Nog who was coming off a long layoff and double hip surgery.

Since that fight he's been much less cocky, probably because he's either getting wiped out or boring everyone shitless in both MMA and grappling competition. There's nothing to really like about him for me.

110% his failed "Legend Killer" gimmick. It's pretty obvious he's a painfully average fighter, so him trying to big himself up by taking out the old guard didn't sit well with me. I really thought Cro Cop would knock him off his perch the way the fight was going, but the honours went to Nog- the highlight of the Rio card was that KO, and I'm not an especially big fan of the Nogs.

Meanwhile, Meathead is much more likable, he's worked hard, even though he's a bit average himself, he's clearly put the work in, has progressed the right way, and nowhere near as cocky.

• Paid Members
Meanwhile, Meathead is much more likable, he's worked hard, even though he's a bit average himself, he's clearly put the work in, has progressed the right way, and nowhere near as cocky.

I don't know. I never really got what everyone found so likable about him. The only time he started to even remotely grow on me was after TUF when he first got in the UFC and was having fun fights on the prelims. Every single time he opens his mouth though, shit comes out. He exposed himself as a bit of a cunt when he was arguing with Tito and brought his wife into it. With the justification being 'well she's fucked on camera so fair game'. Trash talk is all well and good but I'm really not a fan of bringing families into it. Then the whole Fallon Fox thing where he came off as a complete scumbag and added homophobia to his CV. He's apologized since but how genuine it is who knows?

He came across as a right mouth breathing, immature, dopey big lump on TUF as well. Kicking off in training, not listening to his coaches and looking like he was going to square up to Rashad because he gave him a bollocking. Remember when he tried to get out of fighting saying the doctors said he had a swollen brain? He'd have been pulled from the show entirely for something that serious. In Rashad's words - "that boy's cheese done fell off its cracker".

My favourite Meathead moment is still this;

mitrione-with-marcus-in-his-face-tuf-10.jpg

I loved Big Baby. He could have been the Frank Bruno of MMA. I was gutted when Meathead knocked him out at the TUF finale.

Schaub hangs around with Trevor "I have a face you just want to smack" Wittman, so he has always been disliked by association from me. I personally think he is just a bit bland and cookie-cutter, he is one of the sports new breed who are more athletes and do not have the romanticised past like the Pride and UFC legends have.

As a person or fighter what is there about Schuab that fan can find likable or even have a opinion of really? He is not a colourful character, he is juts kinda of drab and dull. MMA fans have been brought up on expressive characters like Wanderlai Silva, freakish beasts like Brock Lesnar and Ivan Drago like Russians like Fedor. Schaub is just like a normal bloke who keeps himself in good shape.

This is why Jones and Pettis are good for the sport, Jones when he is not banging on about the bible is personable and marketable, and with his NBA style look is very transferable to mainstream audiences and larger than life. Pettis is a artist with his strikes and insane naturally ability, which again makes him larger than life. People want to pay to see someone that they would not expect to see hanging around in their local gym, which is why the likes of Schaub get a lukewarm reception.

This is why Jones and Pettis are good for the sport, Jones when he is not banging on about the bible is personable and marketable, and with his NBA style look is very transferable to mainstream audiences and larger than life.

Tied to that, Jones' management team has just announced an international endorsement deal with Gatorade, the first fighter to sport their logo in the Octagon at UFC 165. GSP had Gatorade Canada, but he didn't have in-cage logos.

Huge deal for Jones, does a lot for getting him in the mainstream having such a major sponsor on board.

Schaub hangs around with Trevor "I have a face you just want to smack" Wittman, so he has always been disliked by association from me.

Actually, I don't think he trains with Wittman anymore does he? Rather bizarely his boxing coach is now Tony Jeffries (2008 Olympic bronze medalist from Sunderland who retired from boxing due to hand injuries), training at Jeffries Box N' Burn gym in LA - a gym Tony co-owns with Mickey fucking Rourke of all people.

2drylpf.jpg

Never has one person made me question my love for Sunderland than Schaub... :cry:

• Paid Members

He can dip his dick into Deep Heat for all I care.

Where does everyone stand on the Jon Jones vs Matt Hamill fight from 2009?

I ask because I just watched Ariel Helwani's pre-165 interview with Dana White, and Dana brought it up when talking about the incompetence of the Nevada commission. He's mentioned a few times before how 'Jon Jones should be undefeated right now'.

I haven't seen the fight for a long time but as far as I remember it, as shit as it is to have that blemish on Jones record, the ref wasn't really given any other option but to DQ him was he? I understand everyone would like a nice tidy 19-0 perfect record for Jones, and that Mazzagatti's track record is cack. In this case though I think he made the right call.

Jones threw and landed illegal elbows. I know there's debate over whether the 12-6 elbows should even be illegal, and I agree it's an odd rule. The thing is though, they are illegal so a fighter wouldn't be expecting them or ready to defend against them. And Jones fucked Hamill up with a few of them. It's illegal and Hamill couldn't continue so you have to call a DQ.

He's 18-1. But he's still undefeated in most people's eyes. He was schooling Hamill before the elbows. It's officially a loss but he's never actually been defeated, he lost on a technicality. I'd like to hear someone push Dana on this point. No doubt he'd just shout them down with a load of swearing and a pink face but I'd like to hear what he thinks should have been done. Would you rule it a TKO for Jones even with the illegal shots? Or a No Contest, which is usually for when a guy gets injured or there's clearly an accidental eyepoke or lowblow or something. Jones just smashed Hamill with downward elbows which everyone knows are illegal. I don't think he did it with malice, it was probably heat of the moment but it was DQ worthy IMO. If Wandy just went mental and started stamping on Brian Stann when he knocked him down, you wouldn't call it a TKO or NC would you? It'd be a DQ.

• Paid Members

Just watched the weigh in. The Schaub-Meathead staredown got a bit heated. Meathead started mouthing off and Schaub got all arsey. It's likely a tactic from Meathead to wind Schaub up and goad him into a brawl. We'll see how effective it was tonight.

Rogan's reaction to Daniel Omielanczuk's name got a chuckle out of me. "IN THE HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION, NANDOR GUELMINO VERSUS DANIEL...man, I can't even pronounce that."

Thought Gustafsson looked in the best shape of his career. He usually looks a bit soft to me but he looked in pretty great nick for this. Still don't like his chances though.

On the much talked about subject of size for this fight, the little promo before the weigh in was interesting with the comparisons.

According to the promo, this is how Jones and Gusty measure up;

Reach

Jones - 85.13"

Gustafsson - 81.25"

Shoulder - Fist

Jones - 32.50"

Gustafsson - 31.50"

Hip - Foot

Jones - 45"

Gustafsson - 44"

Height

Jones - 6'4"

Gustafsson - 6'5"

Not a lot in it by that. That doesn't account for the gap in skill level though which I think Jones holds quite an advantage. They've done a good job in the build up to this in deflecting attention away from that and making Gustafsson seem like a bigger threat by focusing on the size. If Gusty was 6'1" this would be seen as a massive mismatch, but with so much of the talk being centred on Jones finally fighting someone around his size, I think they've minimised the mismatch talk. Jones is obviously still a big favourite, but it was a smart way to promote the fight. The only way really.

Archived