Tommy Morrison dead

Stinky Dad

He's been in denial about having AIDS for a long time now, though, claimed that the original diagnosis was a false positive and that he was ok. Clearly, not the case.

Really a tragic story, at one point he looked like a genuine heavyweight star but he'll now be remembered for the AIDS and the bizarre faked fights of his comeback, I suspect. Weirdly, someone posted a pic of him about a week ago, and when I checked he seemed on death's door by all accounts, and so he was.

• Paid Members

Sadly, this one doesn't shock me at all. For years now he's been one of those boxers that if you saw his name pop up you were always half expecting to see RIP following it. The pictures that have surfaced of him over the last few years have been pretty shocking, for a man in his early to mid 40s he looked well in his 60s. And there were often reports that he was in a bad way or that he might not make it through the night. Similar to Scott Hall before his recent turnaround. I always expected bad news. It's a really tragic story.

RIP

He beat Razor Ruddock, didn't he? Post-Tyson Ruddock, but still. And his fight with Lewis was a big thing at the time. You're probably right that he was more of a Great White Hope.

Sad to see, as you scroll around the web on this story, that people are still touting the "never had AIDS" line. His mum says he had AIDS. Tommy may have been so fucked up on drugs in the last few years that he'd convinced himself he was clean, but you can't cure AIDS.

• Paid Members

Sad news but it's been coming.

In reply to Butch, Morrison was a legit heavyweight, he held versions of the World Title but will probably always be seen as a great white hope type figure as in he was a rare case of a succesful white American so he was perhaps given an easier ride gained more exposure than he sometimes deserved, he beat some good fighters though. One's thing for sure, he was a murderous fucking puncher, who delivered and was on the recieving end of some of the greatest KO's in boxing history.

Im pretty sure Morrison's life will be made into a movie at some point

• Paid Members

Ray Mercer's KO of Morrison was absolutely brutal to watch.

I don't think Morrison would rate among the best heavyweights of his era. Lewis, Tyson, Bowe and Holyfield were always superior I reckon. He was a big hitter though. I wish the Tyson fight had happened.

• Paid Members

He was never really top 10 material when he was fighting. His record hides the fact he was put to the mat a lot ( can't take away his impressive comebacks and KOs though) and was picked apart by fighters with range. His management was the drizzling shits as well. Didn't he fight 5 times in one year at one point?

• Paid Members

On August 23 there was a long article on the ESPN website about Morrison's current condition. After reading that I'm not surprised that he's passed away. He's been in a bad way for quite a while now.

The article is worth reading if you have a moment. More than anything it's just a really sad story.

Tommy Morrison's latest big fight

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/958...atest-big-fight

• Paid Members

Shame. I don't hate Rocky V as much as the next person. Bit with "GET UP YA SONOFABITCH 'CAUSE MICKEY LUVS YA!!" gets me every time. Don't think he did much acting work after that.

Rocky who?

Yeah. His "heel" turn in that film is fucking cold. Brilliant stuff.

Shame. I don't hate Rocky V as much as the next person. Bit with "GET UP YA SONOFABITCH 'CAUSE MICKEY LUVS YA!!" gets me every time.

Yeah, that part of the movie is superb, and could only really be done in Rocky. Excellent.

As for Morrison, that article makes for sad reading.

• Paid Members

TMZ seem to think it's a big story that his death certificate doesn't mention HIV or AIDS as the cause of death, but instead a blood infection called Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Septicemia.

Whoever wrote it apparantly doesn't realise you don't die of AIDS, you die because AIDS leaves your immune system unable to fight infections.

Archived