David Frost Dead aged 74

Wretch

I know it has become a cliche but it's true, legend is over used but this man truely is from his partial influence on comedy in the fifties and sixties, his journalistic integrity and his manner and demanour in general. I hope people will remember him for me than Through The Keyhole.

Frost is one of the reasons I have always had a keen interest in both politics and current affairs. Even when his Sunday morning show became diluted due to, I imagine given what Michael Parkinson has spoken about regarding television interviews, implied or implicit threats of 'if you give person A a hard time then people B, C and D wont appear on your show' it was good form.

Six years before I was even born but this still remains a stunning piece of television. Can anyone imagine such a situation happening today? The arguments that Frost's generation are revered due to how they rocked establishment rules rather than the quality of their work is nothing but self loathing shit.

David Frost interviews Emil Savundra ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Savundra...me_controversy)

Part One

Part Two

RIP David Frost

• Paid Members

I remember him for Through The Keyhole, which I loved as a kid, and his interviews with Muhammad Ali. His "he's done it, the great man has done it" when Ali knocked out Foreman is one of the most memorable sporting quotes ever for me. That and Harry Carpenter's line at the finish on the UK version still give me goosebumps and I wasn't even born when the fight happened.

I thought he'd be older than 74. I'd have guessed he was in his 80s. RIP.

As someone said on the BBC earlier "If you think back over British TV and the World in general of the last 50years, you'd be hard pushed to find something that David Frost either had an influence in or got key information/admissions from people at a later date".

One of the most underrated films I've seen was Frost/Nixon. Brilliant brilliant film and it just goes to show that even the greats were put off by planned questions and exceptional planning.

Love the clip still of him grilling Blair and Blair stumbling over a simple question of "Do you both pray together for peace?" "ummm ahhhh errrmmmm, what do you mean?"

RIP Sir David.

I think some of the "influences" attributed to him are unfair - such as obits linking him to the modern aggessive style of Paxman et al. Most of the BBC interviewers nowadays are fucking awful, constantly interrupting and trying to find scandal or force a politician into a mistake. Frost understood when to push and when to shut up.

Not being deferential to politicians is one thing, but treating an interview like a fishing trip the whole time is taking what Frost pioneered to abstraction.

Archived