Ultimate Fighter: Rousey v Tate

bono

With the ultimate fighter returning next week (sept 4th) I thought I'd start a thread on it.

Really looking forward to this season I think it going to be a good one

When does this start in the uk? Can't find it anywhere on the planner, is it on bt sport?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
With the ultimate fighter returning next week (sept 4th) I thought I'd start a thread on it.

Really looking forward to this season I think it going to be a good one

When does this start in the uk? Can't find it anywhere on the planner, is it on bt sport?

Wand's going to have a melt down! :laugh:

• Paid Members

Ha, I think I'll be alright lamb. Seriously, there's no rule that I have to start these threads is there. You lazy bastards just don't bother anymore ;)

I'd assume this will be on BT Sport. There's no reason to think it won't be. They're already covering the UFC more than ESPN did, showing all the live prelims, build up shows, panel shows etc, so I'd be surprised if TUF isn't on there.

I'm really looking forward to this. Probably more than I have any TUF in a while. I expected the Jones-Sonnen TUF to be better but one of the problems was that the result of the actual fight was never in question. While Ronda is definitely the favourite here, its not such a sure bet. I don't think the gap in skills between Ronda and Miesha is as wide as it was between Jones and Chael. Also, there is legitimate beef between Rousey and Tate, and Rousey and Bryan Caraway. Whereas Jones and Chael, at times looked like they were auditioning for a new cop buddy film.

I'm on the Ronda Rousey bandwagon for this. Tate and Caraway are divs. From bits I'm reading Ronda loses it a few times during filming and probably doesn't come off too well. Then again, Ronda hinted at something like 'Miesha won't have any Armenian fans after this' so fuck knows what that's about. They both might lose fans maybe.

I can't wait though. Say what you want about TUF being about the fighters etc, that's true in part obviously. But the TUFs that usually do the best/are most memorable are the ones where the coaches hate each others guts. Tito-Ken, Rashad-Rampage and Hughes-Serra were all excellent. Yeah, the Chuck-Tito series probably ruins my theory a bit but that TUF wasn't helped by them both being way past it and the contestants being a right dull bunch. Ronda and Miesha are at their peak and the curiosity and twist of having men and women competing on the show could throw in a much needed fresh feel to the show.

Are they doing the elimination fights for this? There were a bunch of names on the list I saw before who aren't on the final list so maybe they got eliminated? I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the elimination fights. I get why they're there but televising them and filling the first show of the season with them kind of kills the momentum of the show right off the bat for me. A show like TUF should start with a bang, not an endless stream of fights between fighters we don't know anything about.

It's airing on BT Sport the day after it airs in the US. A bit shit like since a lot watching the Bader/Glover show live next Wed might be teased into thinking TUF is on BT straight afterwards (as its the lead in to it in America) and they're going to be promoting it all show long.

• Paid Members
It's airing on BT Sport the day after it airs in the US. A bit shit like since a lot watching the Bader/Glover show live next Wed might be teased into thinking TUF is on BT straight afterwards (as its the lead in to it in America) and they're going to be promoting it all show long.

If that's case then they're fucking idiots. All they need to do is check the TV guide, if they don't then they deserve the disappointment.

• Paid Members
Yeah it looks like first showing is 11pm on Thursdays. Not bad having it one day after the states, but why they can't shift it to 10pm or even 9pm is beyond me. It would attract a lot more casual viewers.

I'm guessing it will clash with their other staple shows. Possibly live footy or other evening chat shows. Its the complication having a show like on a sports network where sporting events tasks priority in that slot.

• Paid Members

She can't really come across much worse than Ken Shamrock and Rampage did as coaches. Can she?

I've read that she completely loses it right from the start when she walks into the gym to find Miesha there instead of Cat Zingano. Apparently they kept that switcharoo hushed up right up to day one of filming.

Also, slight spoiler about one of the contestants;

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I read the other day that Tara LaRosa isn't sticking around in the UFC after TUF. So she must lose pretty decisively or was difficult with Dana, or something. Because you'd think they'd have given someone as experienced as LaRosa at least one shot at the finale or something.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Yeah Rousey said she flipped out on entering the gym to only find Tate, mainly because (for some strange reason) she thought Tate was there to replace her as a coach.

She doesn't seem like the most 'all there' person mentally (prone to lashing out), so it'll be interesting to see how she acts on this.

She can't really come across much worse than Ken Shamrock and Rampage did as coaches. Can she?

No, but I don't think their cash cow status relied on them being all blonde and smiley, did it? White knows where they money is with Rousey, and it needs her to appeal to the likes of Terry McDonell, Kevin Reilly and Peter Rice. Being a bitch and proving to be problematic won't help her image, and won't keep the cash flowing into the UFC bank account.

• Paid Members

No, but I don't think their cash cow status relied on them being all blonde and smiley, did it? White knows where they money is with Rousey, and it needs her to appeal to the likes of Terry McDonell, Kevin Reilly and Peter Rice. Being a bitch and proving to be problematic won't help her image, and won't keep the cash flowing into the UFC bank account.

Yeah, but in Rampage's case at least, a fair part of his appeal was his personality outside the cage. Up until he went on TUF, he was seen as an animal in the cage but a jokey funloving big kid outside the cage, and a lot of people warmed to it. He showed on TUF though, and since in many interviews, that he's often a massive twat. There were glimpses of it back in the Pride days but TUF really blew the lid off.

With Ronda, I think what sells her is the combination of her look and the contrast with how vicious she is. They're not trying to paint her as a sweet, girl next door type at all are they? Dana is always talking about how nuts she is and that "she's mean and she's nasty". Although maybe he's on about something else there.

dwsa6r_zps2a59ed65.jpg

Dana said she wasn't even that bad on the show but she's convinced herself that it's going to ruin her. In Dana's words - "we've seen much worse on TUF".

• Paid Members

I've read that she completely loses it right from the start when she walks into the gym to find Miesha there instead of Cat Zingano. Apparently they kept that switcharoo hushed up right up to day one of filming.

Also, slight spoiler about one of the contestants;

I read the other day that Tara LaRosa isn't sticking around in the UFC after TUF. So she must lose pretty decisively or was difficult with Dana, or something. Because you'd think they'd have given someone as experienced as LaRosa at least one shot at the finale or something.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Regarding the spoiler...

My suspicion after reading that Tara LaRosa is supposedly fighting for Pancrase on September 29 is that she loses her qualifying fight and never makes it into the house proper.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

dwsa6r_zps2a59ed65.jpg

I find this funny and disturbing.

TUF is a dead duck to me in 2013, no matter how they rebrand it. I think the UK vs OZ show will be the last one I ever watched week by week and greatly enjoyed.

I like Rousey, but when we get weekly fights anyway, I find it hard to justify watching a additional hour with one fight involving fighters I have no real connection to. As much as they try, TUF has lost that touch with me to make me care about the fighters in house. I am already reasonably looking forward to seeing Rousey fight next, so I do not need selling on her and Tate 2.

Fightmaster was a decent show and well produced, but I gave up after a few weeks as Reality MMA does nothing for me when presented in that way. Fight Factory offered something new and radical to the reality MMA medium, but made the old format look tired as much as they try and reheat it and readjust it.

Its the old reform vs abolish argument, fix up and improve your current format (which they have done) or spend the more time consuming and thought provoking method of abolishing TUF and trying something new. I personally would have welcomed something brand new, what that would have been is anyone's guess.

Archived