Gauntley At It Again!

scott_2k16

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit that I don't follow the British wrestling scene as closely as some, but it doesn't sound as though he'd be a particularly difficult guy to find. Surely someone would have been pissed off enough to confront him face to face for answers?

• Paid Members

What's also quite mystifying about all this is that Gauntley was apparently a multi-millionaire from having run 1UP Games, prior to 1PW - so he must have been good at business at some point. It's almost like getting involved in wrestling somehow got him bitten by a radioactive shitarse and he's never been the same since.

What's also quite mystifying about all this is that Gauntley was apparently a multi-millionaire from having run 1UP Games, prior to 1PW - so he must have been good at business at some point. It's almost like getting involved in wrestling somehow got him bitten by a radioactive shitarse and he's never been the same since.

Neither of the statements are acurate.

Steven, by his own addmission would tell you he ran a decent sized merchandising business, but he made as many (if not more) enemies while in the midst of that business than he did in British Wrestling.

I've been to loads of Ben Auld's shows and ordered stuff from the website and never had any problems. He will know himself now that he shouldn't have trusted Gauntley, and like others said I'm sure he wont make that mistake again.

As for the UK scene I'd say PCW, Rev Pro, Southside, GPW, Futureshock, Great Bear, 4FW, Infinite Promotions, Progress and IPW are all ran professionally and in my time attending shows haven't done anything dodgy or screwed the fans once. Obviously things sometimes go wrong but when it has they all have dealt with the situation in the best possible way and done their best to make the fans happy. I've been to a fair few shows over the last few years and by far the worst promotion I have ever been to was 1PW, I've never experienced anything resembling some of the horror stories I've heard anywhere else.

I'm sure other promotions are ran just as well but I can't really comment on them as I haven't been to them. There will always be the odd dodgy promoters knocking about and unfortunately one bad one running one disastrous show will get lots more attention than 10 good promoters running ten good shows. But overall UK scene is great at the moment and we have a lot of good choices at the moment. If you pick reputable promotions there's no need to worry about going to their shows and getting your moneys worth.

• Paid Members

Steven, by his own addmission would tell you he ran a decent sized merchandising business, but he made as many (if not more) enemies while in the midst of that business than he did in British Wrestling.

Fair enough. I just remembered loads of people slinging that around on here when 1PW first started - I didn't really question it because there didn't seem to be any other way a guy starting from scratch could afford all the names he was bringing over, with the set-up and the arenas he was running.

Thanks for the clarification, Mark.

Fair enough. I just remembered loads of people slinging that around on here when 1PW first started - I didn't really question it because there didn't seem to be any other way a guy starting from scratch could afford all the names he was bringing over, with the set-up and the arenas he was running.

Thanks for the clarification, Mark.

Yeah, the concept was the the shows would pay for themselves and that 1up games would back it if the need came. That need came on the very first show I would guess. He just didn't know when to stop adding talent. The amount paid to the talent was INSANE! and so was the merchandise take on the first show, but from there the cost would go up and the merch takings would go down, hence a draining effect which put the merchandise business in no position to back the company....

We all know what happened there.

As far as im aware Ben Auld had nothing to do with any incarnation of 1pw.

Who am I thinking of? Someone on here over the last couple of years was taking money for one of the various supershows/conventions and either had to pay it all back to people when the promoters vanished, or upset people by going "I had nothing to do with it."

You maybe thinking of Adam Curtis. But he never did say he had nothing to do with it.

You are correct Mr Sloan. I've never disguised the fact that i've been utterly shafted by several promoters of the course of my time in the business. I'll happily label myself as one of the biggest mugs in BritWres with the amount of money i've been owed over the last seven years.

Go me.

I've known Ben for many years even before he started getting his feet wet as a promoter and I know the last thing he would want to do is rip people off. He loves wrestling and it's more a hobby than a business and he shows his support by attending most shows up and down the country not just his own. The last thing Ben would want is to tarnish his name and promotion and upset people.

Sadly Ben has been caught up in a Gauntley business deal that has gone wrong. I still can't believe Steve Cornio still does business with Gauntley.

I meet Steve Cornio at a convention in San Francisco and he didn't have a nice thing to say about Gauntley and that was when 1pw was still alive and before I knew anything bad about him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived