Why was PPV started on a Sunday?

bono

• Paid Members

What was the reason for Sky not showing the PPVs live in late 96 - early 97? I remember SummerSlam 96 was live but Survivor Series that year and Royal Rumble 97 were delayed until the following Tuesday or something weren't they? They were back live again for WrestleMania 13.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't that during the time they were editing punches out of Raw?

Yep, Sky had gained a lot of complaints from the Golddust/Roddy Piper match at WM 12 and then the Shawn Michaels/Diesel no holds barred match the month after at In Your House. They turned half an episode of Raw into a montage of crowd shots because of the over zealous censorship. I seem to remember the Undertakers match with the Executioner being cut to shreds when it was shown.

• Paid Members
Isn't that during the time they were editing punches out of Raw?

Yep, Sky had gained a lot of complaints from the Golddust/Roddy Piper match at WM 12 and then the Shawn Michaels/Diesel no holds barred match the month after at In Your House. They turned half an episode of Raw into a montage of crowd shots because of the over zealous censorship. I seem to remember the Undertakers match with the Executioner being cut to shreds when it was shown.

I didn't even know they were editing punches out in that period. The Michaels vs Diesel match wasn't even on Sky though was it? The In Your Houses didn't start airing on Sky until 97.

• Paid Members
What was the reason for Sky not showing the PPVs live in late 96 - early 97? I remember SummerSlam 96 was live but Survivor Series that year and Royal Rumble 97 were delayed until the following Tuesday or something weren't they? They were back live again for WrestleMania 13.

The television also fell one week behind during this period at some point between SummerSlam and Mind Games. It returned to normal by broadcasting the European Championship finals live from Berlin on the night of Wednesday Feb 26th 1997 which made up the content for the March 3rd Raw in the States (with different commentary. strangely enough) and "catching up" by airing Feb 17th Raw on Friday Feb 28th, an hour's worth of the "ECW invasion" Feb 24th Raw on Friday March 7th, and then broadcasting the March 10th "Raw Is War" as it had become on Friday March 14th, returning to normal delay time.

I remember being so anxious and not being able to wait two weeks for the results of Final Four to air that I got my folks permission to find out if Bret had won the title by calling the WWF Superstar Line (0891 299 888 IIRC). Imagine how gutted I was when I got up to watch that European Championship show and saw the belt on Sid.

I didn't even know they were editing punches out in that period. The Michaels vs Diesel match wasn't even on Sky though was it? The In Your Houses didn't start airing on Sky until 97.

It's possible SteveJames is suggesting there were complaints about the highlights of Michaels/Diesel which were aired cut up on WWF Mania. I don't remember if the chairshots were removed, only that the fire extinguisher spot was present, and removing and using Mad Dog's leg certainly wasn't.

I don't particularly remember punches being edited out during that lengthy censorship era in 1996 (when Raw was still airing teatime Friday instead of 10pm) but I do remember they really didn't want to show the Mandible Claw. Fucking daft, I wouldn't want my kids having other kids fingers in their mouths because they saw it in the wrestling, particularly, but then they're more likely to kill themselves jumping from a great height copying a top rope move, which was never censored, or drop each other on their bonces copying a Tombstone. Its not a product you can effectively censor in that manner. Don't let your kids watch it, or don't raise them to be retards and copy it.

Yes, wand, Revenge of the Taker was the first IYH to air in full on Sky, although "It's Time" aired almost in full on a delay as part of a special on Boxing Day 1996, athough heavily censored as noted above. All the matches were shown, even if they weren't exactly complete.

It was the highlights of the Michaels/Diesel match that warranted complaints at the time, which was pretty bizarre since it was already edited down so much, guess people saw the Mad Dog Vachon false leg spot as being in bad taste.

• Paid Members
It was the highlights of the Michaels/Diesel match that warranted complaints at the time, which was pretty bizarre since it was already edited down so much, guess people saw the Mad Dog Vachon false leg spot as being in bad taste.

How could they complain about something that had already been edited out prior to broadcast??

Archived