Why was PPV started on a Sunday?

bono

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
'One Night Only' was on a Saturday night wasn't it?

All UK PPVs were on Saturday nights.

Were they? Blimey, I've remembered that all wrong then. I thought that was the only one that was. If they were, doesn't that alter the answer to the question a little then? Could have sworn Capital Carnage was on a Sunday.

• Paid Members
WWE should aim at mates round, beers etc. That sort of audience is far more likely to buy the PPV instead of streaming. How many people have enough money to fork out $65 on their own when they know they can see it for free in semi decent quality on a PC screen?

It's true that Sunday night PPV's are a right ballache for Europeans (and anyone out of the American timezones really), but it's by far their biggest market so aren't likely to shift just for us.

I doubt WWE can market to such a fanbase, especially with it not being 'cool' like it was.

When the craze was more mainstream in the late 80's and late 90's, maybe so. I know a load of lads that would watch a UFC or Boxing PPV together (as I've partaken in the past). But wrestling? Nah, a dodgy stream while chatting anything but wrestling in the chatroom is about all I could muster.

In fairness though, I've heard of a few Wrestlemania parties in the larger cities like Manchester and London.

I think they were all on Saturday nights to give them time to get back to the US for RAW on monday. Was Capital Carnage before RAW started being live every week?

As for promotions running Christmas day shows, WCW had one in 1991 because Jushin Liger won the Light Heavyweight title on it. For some reason I always remember that he won the title on Christmas day and lost it on Leap Year day.

• Paid Members

Yes, Cobra, This Tuesday in Texas was a PPV. It was a test to see if people would buy a shorter PPV with a smaller card. It was a stupid test though considering the two main events had six days promotion.

Anybody know why the original wrestlemania was pinned down on a Sunday and all the Ppv's afterwards followed suit?

Well, this is wrong. But I'm guessing you've gathered that from the replies. Survivor Series for example was held either Thanksgiving Eve or Thanksgiving Night for the first eight years, irrespective of what night that fell on.

Just checking as well - do you think (the first) WrestleMania was a PPV? Because that's wrong as well. The first WWF PPV was The Wrestling Classic, which was held on a Thursday night.

All UK PPVs were on Saturday nights.

WRONG.

I'm sure some were on a Sunday SOC. I'm probably wrong but I'm sure No Mercy in 1999 was on Sunday, and maybe Capital Carnage as you say. I think all the Rebellions and Insurrextions were Saturdays though.

Capital Carnage was a Sunday, exactly seven days before In Your House : Rock Bottom. No Mercy the same, seven days before Over The Edge. You are correct about the others, they were all Saturdays, like One Night Only.

I think they were all on Saturday nights to give them time to get back to the US for RAW on monday. Was Capital Carnage before RAW started being live every week?

One Night Only was on a Saturday as they had a live Raw from MSG the Monday after. They could do Capital Carnage and No Mercy on Sundays because Raw the next night was taped. By the time the Rebellion/Insurrextion run came around, Raw was live every week so they had to run UK PPVs on Saturdays. Raw started going live every week in August 1999 because they had started taping SmackDown on Tuesdays.

• Paid Members

Seeing as we're on a similar subject, I can remember staying up to watch Wrestlemania 9 live on Sky but I believe that was the last live PPV for quite some time. From memory, I want to say that Survivor Series 94 was the next one that was shown live in this country, but does anyone know?

• Moderators
Just checking as well - do you think (the first) WrestleMania was a PPV? Because that's wrong as well. The first WWF PPV was The Wrestling Classic

Right and wrong. Nationally, yes Mania wasn't a PPV. But it was in selected markets however, I want to say New York. The Pre-show and intro off cable PPV is, or at least was, available on youtube.

• Paid Members
Summerslam 1993 and 1994 were both on a Monday for some reason too.

Hmm, what did WWE do about Raw on those nights?

There wasn't a RAW show either of those nights. Presumably USA just aired something other than wrestling.

• Paid Members
Summerslam 1993 and 1994 were both on a Monday for some reason too.

Hmm, what did WWE do about Raw on those nights?

There was no Raw on those nights.

The USA network used to show the US open tennis for a few weeks in late August/early September instead of Raw. It's the same reason why the first ever Nitro went up against no competition because of the tennis.

Archived