Why was PPV started on a Sunday?

bono

I was thinking last week when summerslam was on, why did wwe start ppv on a Sunday? Surely a Saturday would be better all round for everyone?

I never stay up to watch the Ppv because of work and because of school when I was younger. A Saturday night would be better for people all over the world I'd have thought. More people would buy it as watching it wouldn't be a problem for anyone. People wouldn't be put off doing anything seeing as Sunday would bet heady after the Ppv.

Anybody know why the original wrestlemania was pinned down on a Sunday and all the Ppv's afterwards followed suit?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

They used to have PPVs on all kinds of days. WCW would have them on Saturdays quite a bit, and I think WWF/E has had a PPV on every day of the week other than Friday. Sunday's just a good day for PPV as there's fuck all else to do on a Sunday night but stay in and watch telly as there's school/work in the morning so you aren't going to be going out for the night or anything. That's why Heartbeat got Bonzo ratings for so many years. People watch TV on sunday nights.

• Moderators

Because Sunday night, like Monday night, is seen as a Wrestling Night as PPVs have been positioned there for so long. Also, there's more competition on Saturday nights from the shedload of UFC shows, many on basic cable/network TV, that are ran now.

If there was more money in moving PPV to Saturday nights then WWE would have done it by now, trust me.

• Paid Members

Across the pond, PPVs are on at a nice sociable hour for friends and families to watch together. The only night of the week that would be better for that would be Saturday, but as others have pointed out, you are competing against stronger TV and people's social lives then.

• Paid Members

'One Night Only' was on a Saturday night wasn't it?

I like my wrestling PPVs being on a Sunday. As a kid it massively removed that depressing Sunday night feeling developed by Londons Burning, Heartbeat and such and such and replaced it with ridiculous excitement.

This is steering off topic somewhat but I remember a shoot interview (possibly with Raven but I might be wrong) with the interviewee talking about how American wrestling shows used to be held on holidays, including Christmas Day, with the Fathers and sons heading out to watch the wrestling while the Mothers and daughters cooked the dinner. Seems unimaginable now to think of people going to a wrestling show on Christmas Day. I know Survivor Series was the Thanksgiving tradition but Christmas Day wrestling shows strike me as stranger for whatever reason.

• Paid Members

I think I remember the Raven interview your talking about, the WCCW Star Wars Christmas Day shows at Reunion Arena used to be huge if I recall, didn't Hayes turning on Kerry during the cage match happen on one of those? I suppose it's not too different to the traditional Boxing Day or New Years football we're all used to over here, Christmas would be rubbish without it.

Archived