The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

Apologies in advance, but I can't really contribute much to the ale side of the discussion, having spent the last ten years in an aleless land, but I'll be fucked if I'm staying out of a beer thread just because British lagers are wank. German lager is a beer as far as I'm concerned.

the German Beer Purity Law ensures that their lagers aren't full of chemicals and other shit

It's a fucking god-send. You've got a variety of lagers and wheat beers to rival the British selection of ales and not one of them contains anything other than water, hops and cereal. It's the god's honest truth that there was a point in my life where my presence in Germany was no longer required and I stayed just for their lager.

Personally I love a good hoppy beer, to a point of course. You're right about the Beer in America though. I had so many good ones mostly from the West Coast when I was there. I was in San Diego for a couple of days which is beer heaven.

My beer preferences are on the hoppy side too. Back to German lagers... :cool: anyone travelling in the north of Germany who wants their cock blown off by the tastiest, hoppiest lager of all time needs to get a pint of Jever.

Edited by King Coconut

• Paid Members
It's a fucking god-send. You've got a variety of lagers and wheat beers to rival the British selection of ales and not one of them contains anything other than water, hops and cereal. It's the god's honest truth that there was a point in my life where my presence in Germany was no longer required and I stayed just for their lager.

Out of interest, which of their lagers are your favourites?

• Paid Members

I was just out at Tesco and some some imported American craft beer but I've got this mindset that a good percentage of the price I pay goes towards flying it half way round the world so I'd be better off paying the same and getting a local one that would be better. It's the same reason I only drink European wine. I'm probably missing out.

Out of interest, which of their lagers are your favourites?

I like a Jever, as mentioned, and I'd recommend a Joh. Albrecht Messing. From the commercial lagers you can find in every shop here, I'd go for Veltins.

• Paid Members
I like a Jever, as mentioned, and I'd recommend a Joh. Albrecht Messing. From the commercial lagers you can find in every shop here, I'd go for Veltins.

Yeah, I do like Veltins, that's made it's way into a lot of the pubs over here now. I think it's becoming a bit fashionable at the moment. The stuff we get probably isn't the same as it is over there though.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Also for DCW -you'll be glad to hear that Dublin has a few pubs that permanently have Brew Dog on tap. Try Against the Grain, the Black Sheep or Brewdock. Not at all cheap though!

The owner(s) of Against The Grain and the Black Sheep also have a handful of good pubs in Galway. Speaking of which, do you have any thoughts on the Galway Bay range of ales? I've tended to look outward when it comes to beer but they do produce some good IPAs.

I'm a big fan of the Galway Bay range though I've not had as many as I'd possibly have liked due to trying to drink as many different beers this year as possible. I remember really liking their Red and and Full Sail beers though. Galway Hooker which is the one you seem to see most places is nice but nothing too special. I'm about 5 pints away from a free pint with my loyalty card!

I agree on their Galway bars. I had a few in the Saltmill I think it was for some dutch courage before popping the question to my girlfriend. It's a shame people here don't seem to go in for good beer though.

I'm a big fan of the Galway Bay range though I've not had as many as I'd possibly have liked due to trying to drink as many different beers this year as possible. I remember really liking their Red and and Full Sail beers though. Galway Hooker which is the one you seem to see most places is nice but nothing too special. I'm about 5 pints away from a free pint with my loyalty card!

I agree on their Galway bars. I had a few in the Saltmill I think it was for some dutch courage before popping the question to my girlfriend. It's a shame people here don't seem to go in for good beer though.

Do you mean the Salt House? It's stuffy, cramped, overheated and small enough that every spot is within smelling distance of the toilets. I fucking love that place.

Do you mean the Salt House? It's stuffy, cramped, overheated and small enough that every spot is within smelling distance of the toilets. I fucking love that place.

Ah that was the one! It wasn't too busy when I was there though we were right next to the toilets. Yeah I though it was a great place just to relax in for a couple of hours. The other one I liked in Galway, although it had less beer available was Naughtons (though spelled in Gaeilc)

• Paid Members
In the warmer months my favourites are, sorry Butch, mass-bottled and readily available - Badger's range - Long Days, Golden Champion and especially the peachy sweetness of Golden Glory

Good lad! By virtue of my lineage, I own shares in Hall & Woodhouse who brew Badger. As do my dad and sister. Our garage is usually packed with Badger stuff, we load up the car when we go down for the AGM. I do like Golden Glory in the summer, and Poacher's Choice and Blandford Flyer (the ginger one, slightly gimmicky but absolutely gorgeous) are lovely in the winter.

I'm fairly certain we've discontinued Long Days now, sadly. We've done a couple of great special edition ales named after mythical creatures from Dorset lately, including a really good 7.5% porter called the Roaming Roy Dog.